It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

ADD / ADHD Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-29-2007, 01:25 PM   #1
(female)

americanwon1 HB User
Question add meds and trichotillomania!

Hello all,

I am 21 and have had trichotillomania since I was 12. OCD and anxiety run in my family but I'm the only with this added bonus. I have no eye lashes left. When they start to grow in, I am met with the ungodly urge to pull them out. It's an anxious, obsessive feeling I can barely fight.

I recently realized that my urge to pull is strongest whenever I sit down to read. As a college student this is pretty difficult to deal with - I procrastinate my work a lot and can barely get anything done because often when I go to read I am just overwhelmed by anxiety and the urge to pull. Of course after I do I feel even worse.

I've read that taking medications for ADD are the absolute worse thing for trichotillomania. However I have been taking ritalin for a few weeks now and can actually focus on my work without being distracted by the urge. I am jumping from antidepressants trying to find the right one. I am starting Prozac to help deal with the anxiety.

But I am wondering if anyone else particularly feels the urge to pull at certain times, during certain activities, and if ADD medication has helped you focus on what you want to do instead of the compulsion to pull.

I know this isn't strictly ADD - but there's no trich board here. I'm interested to hear about your situations.

Old 01-30-2007, 10:36 AM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

index.html HB User
Re: add meds and trichotillomania!

Sorry that I can't be any help to you, but I wanted to suggest that you try the OCD board. There are usually quite a few people who suffer from trichotillomania on that board.

Good luck to you!

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 01-30-2007, 01:55 PM   #3
(female)

cindyk HB User
Re: add meds and trichotillomania!

My son is ADHD and also has mild OCD. He plays with his hair in one spot almost constantly. He has pulled it out only one time. It was quite scarey as he did not know why he had done it. I am aware that stimulants can make OCD worse, but his focus is so bad he has to take a stimulate, so of course I was nervous the next day to give it to him. Thankfully he did fine on his regular dose which is very low compared to others. If he has just enough it makes his OCD better like you said. He can focus and be calm. It is when the medicine is wearing off that the symptoms come back. That was over a year ago and he has never done it again. He still plays with his hair, but has not pulled it out. Keeping my fingers crossed. It is a balancing act to figure out what works. He also takes flaxseed oil, magnesium & calcium vitamins. Suppose to be good for brain function and smoothing out some of these disorders... Good luck to you.

Closed Thread