It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

ADD / ADHD Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-20-2007, 08:56 AM   #1
(female)

baby_blue_mouse HB User
Angry Schools and ADD & ADHD

I have been having alot of trouble with the school my 2 boys go to. My youngest is ADHD (8 yrs old) and my oldest is ADD (11 yrs old). But, I get calls almost everyday from the school saying my oldest needs to be on meds, and my youngest needs his meds upped. I can never make these people happy. And if my boys do mess up, the school puts it on me like its my fault b/c my kids are not drugged up enough! How can I take care of this issue without getting to ill? I already told them my kids will not be zombies!

Old 03-20-2007, 09:12 AM   #2
Veteran
(male)

michael178 HB User
Re: Schools and ADD & ADHD

I just want to say that the medications for ADD have been around for years and years. In the early l960's I got my first prescription for them and have been on these drugs on and off since that time. So, with an exception for a few new drugs like strattera (which is exceptionally safe) these drugs are all time tested and very safe; they have a bad rep only because of the news and uninformed people.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 03-21-2007, 05:24 PM   #3
(female)

georginia HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by baby_blue_mouse View Post
I have been having alot of trouble with the school my 2 boys go to. My youngest is ADHD (8 yrs old) and my oldest is ADD (11 yrs old). But, I get calls almost everyday from the school saying my oldest needs to be on meds, and my youngest needs his meds upped. I can never make these people happy. And if my boys do mess up, the school puts it on me like its my fault b/c my kids are not drugged up enough! How can I take care of this issue without getting to ill? I already told them my kids will not be zombies!
the medicine should not make them a zombie,they also have patches out for adhd.

Old 03-29-2007, 08:28 AM   #4
Inactive
(female)

tylersmom29 HB User

Hi tylersmom here I tried to post befor so if you get two from me I am sorry. I know how tough it can be trying to deal with school. My nine year old is bipolar and adhd. My eight year old is adhd. The school would call me everyday. It drove me crazy. They acted like if my kids had problems it was because i wasn't doing my job as a parent. I had several days when I wanted to pull my hair out. Does your children have an IEP? If they don't ask the school princepal about it. THey can help your children get the services they need. What meds are your childeren taking now? I can understand that you do not want them to be zombies. You have to ask your self if they are benefiting from current meds or does there need to be a change. You should not let the school bully you into something that you are not comforable with. They are not doctors and I don't think that they should be allowed to tell parents they need to put there kids on meds. You have to do what you feel is right. And you sound like you are doing everything you can. You may want to check with your local mental health agency and ask about something called the impact program. It may be called something else in your area. But basically they will give you somone who will come to school with you to meetings and help the school to know what there rights are and more importanly what your rights are. Everyone I have run across on this board have been encouraging and very sweet. And on somedays my saving grace. Please continue to post and know that my thoughts and prayers are with you and your family.Tylersmom

Closed Thread