It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

ADD / ADHD Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-02-2007, 04:23 PM   #1
(female)

Klooney HB User
Re: concerta cause depression in kids?

[ref: [url]http://www.healthboards.com/boards/showthread.php?t=9055][/url]

My son is 10 years old and he has been on concerta for 21/2 years. His grades started slipping in the third grade and he could not stay focused. It would take him hours to do one page of homework so the doctor put him on concerta and it worked as far as grades go. We recently took him off of it for about three weeks. Not only did he gain ten pounds in three weeks but he started flunking EVERYTHING! I had a conference with all of his teachers and they made the comment that he acted depressed and sad alot, since the begining of school. I didnt know that depression was a side effect of this drug. He cant pass without it but he acts so sad on it. Is there anything that dosent cause depression? He isnt a very out going kid anyway, but I hate the fact that he cant make friends and is always depressed. Ive asked him about it and he says he is just sad because his grandfather passsed away a few years ago. He has been in counseling before and the counselor said that he was fine. Im so confused about what to do. Someone had mentioned aderol to me but I dont know anything about that med. Any suggestions?

Last edited by mod-anon; 03-28-2007 at 09:43 PM. Reason: started a new thread with this question

Old 02-03-2007, 11:55 AM   #2
Inactive
(female)

Jennita HB User

Stimulant meds and other meds that cause mild euphoria like AD's all can sometimes cause mood swings in some people. Sometimes the mood swings can be bad and the person can later down the line receive a new diagnosis of bi-polar which entails alot of new meds and problems. Many who have been on ADD meds or other stimulating meds like SSRi's seem to go on to the bi-polar diagnosis, which they never originally had but over time the drugs caused the change(as side effects vary and also can be culmative over time).

IMHO, there are some children and adults who shouldn't be taking such meds, even if they help the original problem, because of the dangerous adverse effects they may encounter. I mean, if some people cannot eat something as simple as a peanut without adverse reaction, it is entirely possible that some people cannot use psych drugs without adverse reactions too, yet this seems to escape most in the medical field. They would rather blame a latent or undiagnoised bi-polar than admit their drug may have actually caused the syndrome. Mood swings, heart problems, etc. are to be considered when dealing with drugs and anyone can either not have the side effect or have it.

Rebound or deregulation of receptors can also cause a worsening of ADD with withdrawal of the drug. This could improve over time if off the medication but unfortunately, the symptoms are too severe for some people to be able to wait it out.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 02-03-2007, 07:05 PM   #3
(female)

beach4me HB User

My daughter (11) had a very bad reaction to Concerta. She was on approx. six weeks. Each week became worse. No sleep, mood swings, crying that would not end, thought of suicide, picking at skin until blood and large sore,etc...

It started slowly and crept up until it was totally out of control. The Dr. said it was no way that Concerta was the reason. He had never heard of such reactions. We should consider counseling. Which we did....

But, I took her off Concerta immediately. Within four days, I had my child back. She loved me again and did not want to die. She stopped the constant screaming and she slept again. No more open sores and her smile returned.

Now we are back to the old meds and it is working much better.

Old 02-04-2007, 01:23 AM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)

index.html HB User

Yes, stimulants can cause depression and mood swings.

Strattera had a very nice mood elevating effect for my son (he wasn't on stimulants, but was starting to get very down on himself because of his inability to fit in). They can be prescribed together. I was worried about the "double-whammy" on his appetite, but his appetite actually impoved when he was prescribed both.

Old 02-04-2007, 06:51 PM   #5
(female)

KissAmeGal HB User

my son was recently diagnosed with ADHD back in November, he is 12. Started on Strattera, was on it for about a month and did nothing for him, was/is also on Trazadone for insomnia. Was not helping him (Strattera) in school AT ALL! He started on Concerta a week ago Friday, we did have to go back to doc. this past week, she started him on 50mg of Zoloft a day, the Concerta is only 27mg. His attitude and temper seems to be much better. we may have to up the Concerta to the next dose, as it's still not really working for him at school. she did mention, if this doesn't work for him, she was going to call his ins. company and tell them that he needs Ambilify. We'll see what happens, we go back to her next wednesday.......hopefully we don't have to go back before then.
He's already been held back, he's still in the 6th grade, was held back in the 5th. he should be in the 8th grade next year........i would hate to see him in the 6th AGAIN! ::::::::::sigh::::::::::
Aaahhh yes.......also on Depakote for BP

take care (((((((((hugs)))))))

Last edited by KissAmeGal; 02-04-2007 at 06:52 PM. Reason: forgot something

Old 03-17-2007, 08:45 PM   #6
(female)

georginia HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Klooney View Post
My son is 10 years old and he has been on concerta for 21/2 years. His grades started slipping in the third grade and he could not stay focused. It would take him hours to do one page of homework so the doctor put him on concerta and it worked as far as grades go. We recently took him off of it for about three weeks. Not only did he gain ten pounds in three weeks but he started flunking EVERYTHING! I had a conference with all of his teachers and they made the comment that he acted depressed and sad alot, since the begining of school. I didnt know that depression was a side effect of this drug. He cant pass without it but he acts so sad on it. Is there anything that dosent cause depression? He isnt a very out going kid anyway, but I hate the fact that he cant make friends and is always depressed. Ive asked him about it and he says he is just sad because his grandfather passsed away a few years ago. He has been in counseling before and the counselor said that he was fine. Im so confused about what to do. Someone had mentioned aderol to me but I dont know anything about that med. Any suggestions?
He could be bipolar look it up.

Old 03-28-2007, 06:13 AM   #7
(female)

lostwanderer HB User

I can only tell you what its done for my son. We tried everything else. If a child has strattera it has no stimulant. Some kids with severe ADHD the strattera will do nothing for them. Concerta never caused depression in my son. But they do say every child is different. After my husband died my son was very depressed and he is on concerta and wellbutrin. It has worked really really well.
It's all about finding the "balance" the right combination that will work. We tried everything and I mean everything. The only thing that worked for him was concerta. Hes a completely different kid. He can do his work in school now , hes not failing every subject. He's more focused. Over time as he got older the concerta did have to be increased. But its always worked great. Good luck!

Old 04-04-2007, 06:08 AM   #8
(female)

TammiLeigh HB User

Bipolar symptoms and ADHD symptoms are extremely similar in children. If you have a bipolar issue and take ADHD medication, the medication can trigger bipolar symptoms (depression and manic/anger episodes). This is even more so as the child reaches the age of puberty and their bodies change. I would ask your doctor if this is a possibility. Together, you and your doctor can evaluate different medications. My daughter took ADHD meds with no problems until about the age of 11 or 12. Then she started having extreme bipolar symptoms. We switched her meds from ADHD meds to bipolar meds. The bipolar symptoms greatly improved and to our surprise, so did the ADHD symptoms!!

Good luck. This whole situation can be very stressful for both the child and the parents.

Tamara

Old 04-04-2007, 07:16 AM   #9
Senior Veteran
(female)

mkgbrook HB Usermkgbrook HB Usermkgbrook HB Usermkgbrook HB Usermkgbrook HB Usermkgbrook HB Usermkgbrook HB Usermkgbrook HB Usermkgbrook HB Usermkgbrook HB Usermkgbrook HB User

Has your son had trouble sleeping? Chronic respiratory, ear, or strep? Does your son snore? Did he snore before the age of eight? Just curious. If you answered any of these positively.. you might be dealing with a masked or over looked sleeping disorder.

Sincerely,
MG

Closed Thread