It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

ADD / ADHD Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-30-2007, 01:20 PM   #1
(female)

5alive HB User5alive HB User5alive HB User
Question Adderall and anger question?

Hi everyone
I have a question to ask that is very important.I hope someone can help me.
My husband started taking adderall 20mgs twice a day, single release tablets, about 2 years ago.He has always been kind,patient etc. (we're married almost 30yrs ) so I do know him.
Gradually he's gotten angry, mean, non caring.At first it was anger outbursts. then more frequent and scary.Pretty soon it got to the point of not even being able to discuss anything.It's now to the point of plain meanness.My heart breaks as I think of this. I have a bad back(disk problems).Last week he was driving with me in the truck.he got angry and kept slamming on the brakes.
My back is killing me...but more important,he truly do's not care.Never said he's sorry.He's shoved pushed ect.I'm affraid of him.
We allways said we were sorry at least when we hurt each other.
He just will snap.
Now,don't get me wrong.I'm no prize.
He says I cause him to do these things.

My question is not what to do,but,could this extreme behavour be caused by adderall?
He's not abusing it.He's taking what he's told.
Please help me sort this out.I love him so much,but his anger is making him ugly inside,not to mention the snaping is killing me...and my back.
a week,he still has no clue how wrong this is.i can barely bend without pain.That's the truth.
Plus it seems that he is misserable.He says adderall has helped him to focuss more on life.

Please help me,and him we need it.
thank you all

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 03-30-2007, 09:48 PM   #2
(female)

jen1008 HB User
Re: Adderall and anger question?

My husband has been Adderall for about 4 years and he has none of the side effects you are talking about. Is there anything else that could have changed?

Old 03-31-2007, 04:30 AM   #3
(female)

Quote:
Originally Posted by jen1008 View Post
My husband has been Adderall for about 4 years and he has none of the side effects you are talking about. Is there anything else that could have changed?
Thank you so much for caring.I need it.
Nothing else has changed.i just notice he gets real energized and he'll talk wild dreams,do alot,not finnish.sometimes he's blah,but,the biggest thing is he is so mean.I can't explain it.i can't even discuse his meanness,even trying hard to speak well.The slightest thing sets him off.i didn't sleep last nite.he works nites but was off last nite.
my heart is broken.i would rather have my sweet non focused husband.
thank you again just listening has helped.

Old 03-31-2007, 06:59 AM   #4
(female)

lab77 HB User

I am having the same problem on a little smaller scale with my 9 year old son who is taking adderalxr per day 10 mg per day. I was experiencing small bits and pieces of these anger outbursts at first and now they are predictable. I am not sold that the adderal is the solution to ADHD or atleast for my son, or in this case maybe even your husband. Currently, I do not have a child psychologist involved with our case but am planning a "behavioral modification program" through our insurance provider to help integrate the parent-teacher-child relationship and family relationships with my son having this behavior condition. It has been one heck of a ride, and taking adderal or any drug to reduce one symptom for people to understand you, yet causing another uncontrollable symptom to appear needs to be attended to. This violent or outburst activity should not be ignored, he may be taking too much, or he may have developed a resistance to the drug in some way. Call your doctor, or call his. [removed] I went through therapy with my son for 2 years and then discovered this traing program to teach the rest of us how to deal with the condition. He still needs therapy to go along with taking so much of it and you, the family can be a part of the therapy to voice your dissatisfaction to the overal effectiveness of the drug; you must help yourself. If he is willing to take the drug and it its prescribed by his family physician or a psychiatrist, make an appointment to see the dr. together or if he won't do that take control and go to the dr. yourself and help you. I have been bit, kicked, screamed at, put down, and then loved, held, cried to and talked respectfully all in the same 15 minutes by my son, while he has been on this drug. I am in the process like I said, of finding out why and what to do to make it better for all of us. I hope you are able to get some help; just ask and ye shall be given!

Last edited by mod-anon; 03-31-2007 at 09:32 PM. Reason: do not instruct members on how to find websites.

Old 03-31-2007, 08:07 AM   #5
(female)

Dear LAb77,
I truly am happy with giving me info and also admire your strength in your ability to mother so well.I have ADD.as a child i never could catch up to the class or even read a book.i take adderall.i first saw it work,but i've been on it for many years.i'm not pro or con meds.but you seem to have a real desire to help your child.I know that makes a huge difference.
I've never had anger issues.only some depresion.i think thats anger turned inward.My husband i feel has ADD.and I did see some good at first.Maybe what I see now is frustration...why,I don't know.
I honestly feel like he has no empathy(that's what I've been trying to say and it just came to me).He always was so loving and caring.he even took care of the kids when they were sick.i know we are older now.But,that compasion for me in anyway is gone.
Maybe it's not the medsI'm grasping at straws through tears right now.
it's the only answer i can come up with.

Can a medication take all of a persons feelings as a human away?I'm not being a drama queen ,i'm being honest.Something is dreadfully wrong with this wonderfull man I married,and I can't even aproach him about it.
like i said a whole week my back is out I also have a compressed nerve.he really did make it bad,and if I didn't have a seatbelt on,I would have been out the windshield.
It dosn't phaise him that he hurt me.
Most of all, I feel sorry for him because I can only see anger eating him alive.
again thank you so much.I will find out what's happening to him.I love him too much to see this happen to him.

Old 03-31-2007, 04:44 PM   #6
(female)

thyme2b HB User

I did have anger with Adderall. I am a very patient person normally. I also had these anger problems with statin drugs. I don't have a lot of repressed anger or anything, since I'm able to be assertive when I need to. But these drugs just seemed to change my personality.

Stopping the Adderall will not hurt, in fact, it may be helpful to take some holidays if I remember right. If you can get him to take a holiday from them, then you'd be able to tell if it was the medication causing it.

I no longer take any medications because they caused too many problems. It was recently discovered that I have other problems (gluten sensitivity) that may be causing this. I've gone off gluten (not easy, it's way more than just cutting out baked goods) and notice that I am more focused than I was before.

If you are afraid of him, you should find a safe place to go. Don't put yourself in danger! There are safe houses in most cities. Even if it is the medication causing it, you need to be safe first, then help him solve his problems. I was alarmed when I read of his behavior. You getting hurt and being in a wheelchair will not help anything.

Get safe first, then get him some help!

Last edited by thyme2b; 03-31-2007 at 04:49 PM.

Old 04-04-2007, 10:42 PM   #7
(male)

Jimknows HB User

Ladies - your husbands may be very angry at their Fathers or Mothers. (Many men have anger issues with their Dads that get suppressed.) They mostly need to learn the source of their anger. Once I learned that, something clicked and I forgave my Dad. Still, I needed meds to keep me rested enough at night and upbeat enough in the daytime to function normally. However, it was definitely understanding my anger's source that made me feel I could stop being angry.

I've provided a chronology of my dosing/recovery history below so you can track how I overcame my anger (rage).

First, some context ...

During extensive counseling (psychiatrist & psychologust), I learned that my anger may have been due to PTSD resulting from an incident where my Dad, a former Marine and very imposing figure, threatened my life while holding a very large knife to my throat.

On my Mom's side, there is a history of mental illness.

During the first few months of my recovery, my wife repeatedly ridiculed me for taking psychotropic drugs and openly dismissed the reality of my diseases. Bad move - very bad move. I never touched her, but I resented that like h*ll. My counselors told me I need to leave due to an unhealthy home environment.

Here's my recovery track ...

1. Sought help at age 49 due to growing inability to concentrate and multi-task, as well as burning rage toward several people who caused me great anxiety on the job. (I began having daily thoughts of harming them, viciously.)

2. Took Burns Anxiety Exam and other tests/questionaires over a 3 month period to distinguish Anxiety Order from ADD, depression from ADD, etc.

3. Attended cognitive therapy (psycholgoist) weekly for a total of one year, including my 3-month testing period.

4. Saw a psychiatrist for 9 months after receiving diagnosis from psychologist (Severe AD/HD and mild O/C - unknown origins/triggers).

5. For two weeks, I took 40 mg of Adderall XR daily. More anger - different thought patterns, for the most part. Mostly anxiety. Completely hyper. It was too much for me - I was way out of control.

6. Adderall XR dose reduced to 30 mg. Took that for one month. AD/HD cleared up, began suffering facial spasms and headaches. Still lots of anxiety.

7. After two weeks taking 30mg Adderall, I was placed on 2mg of Klonopin at nighttime to stop facial spasms and help me sleep. Worked like a charm - anxiety let up. But, I hallucinated/dreamed crazy stuff during first few weeks of Klonopin.

8. About 6 weeks into Adderall XR use period, facial spasms and resulting headaches were returning, though less frequently than before. Daily dose reduced to 15 mg.

9. Used Adderall XR and Klonopin for about a year - became much less agitated over time. The 15 mg dose was less effective for my AD/HD, but it helped me enough so I could cope. Stopped taking my meds due to financial/insurance situation. About 4 months after I stopped, all symptoms returned except constant rage. 6 months after I stopped - rage! Vicious thought patterns, though not as frequently as before. Bad AD/HD and significant depression.

10. Went back on meds - everything is under control again.

Hope this helped in some way.

Last edited by Jimknows; 04-04-2007 at 10:46 PM. Reason: mistyped a word

Old 04-06-2007, 04:26 PM   #8
Veteran
(male)

michael178 HB User

Adderall is a cocktail of amphetamine salts and has very few side effects, most of which would have cleared up a long time ago. If it is used with people who have been misdiagnosed with ADD/ADHD instead of Bipolar Disorder, it can induce mania which have a lot of the anger components you describe. So,I would suggest letting your husband's doctor know about your husband's anger, it could be a sign of something serious.

Old 04-09-2007, 12:25 PM   #9
Inactive
(female)

Jennita HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by ADD*A*girl View Post
Hi everyone
I have a question to ask that is very important.I hope someone can help me.
My husband started taking adderall 20mgs twice a day, single release tablets, about 2 years ago.He has always been kind,patient etc. (we're married almost 30yrs ) so I do know him.
Gradually he's gotten angry, mean, non caring.At first it was anger outbursts. then more frequent and scary.Pretty soon it got to the point of not even being able to discuss anything.It's now to the point of plain meanness.My heart breaks as I think of this. I have a bad back(disk problems).Last week he was driving with me in the truck.he got angry and kept slamming on the brakes.
My back is killing me...but more important,he truly do's not care.Never said he's sorry.He's shoved pushed ect.I'm affraid of him.
We allways said we were sorry at least when we hurt each other.
He just will snap.
Now,don't get me wrong.I'm no prize.
He says I cause him to do these things.

My question is not what to do,but,could this extreme behavour be caused by adderall?
He's not abusing it.He's taking what he's told.
Please help me sort this out.I love him so much,but his anger is making him ugly inside,not to mention the snaping is killing me...and my back.
a week,he still has no clue how wrong this is.i can barely bend without pain.That's the truth.
Plus it seems that he is misserable.He says adderall has helped him to focuss more on life.

Please help me,and him we need it.
thank you all
Although there could be other factors here that we aren't aware of, the likelihood is that your husband is one of those who the med does effect more in that way of aggression and manic or euphoric behaviors as you mentioned.

One does not have to "abuse" a stimulant to suffer from it's well-known side effects mostly due to their effect on dopamine. Since psychiatry really can't know how much dopamine-stimulations drugs one needs to be "normal"(no such neurotransmitter tests exist for diagnosis) nor know how much is "too much"in any one individual, even so called normal doses of amphetamine can cause these sometimes serious side effects in some people. Your husband no doubt is one of them, although if you read enough testimony he is not alone.

Playing around with dopamine or any brain chemical is, IMHO, dangerous(they know too much dopamine could cause schizophrenia) but because of theory and drug effect, it is perfectly legal and encouraged by drug companies and psychiatry. Intil they have measured tests for any brain chemical, it's all boils down to theory and drug effect(such as amphetamines stimulate the brain to cause more focus) but not solid fact that any chemical deficiency exists at all.

They can prove a person has an insulin deficiency, such as diabetes, for example. But they can't prove a person with ADD has a lack of any neurotransmitter, there are no tests nor accepted levels established.

Last edited by Jennita; 04-09-2007 at 12:28 PM.

Old 01-14-2008, 07:37 AM   #10
(male)

college Stu 102 HB User

Hi,

I'm 25 years old and a full time College Student. This past semester I made the decision to start taking adderall to help me study. After a long wait for an appointment with the school doctor, I was prescribed Adderall.

Long Story Short, I am experiencing the same things you are describing with your husband. I have been short with my girlfriend, short with my roommate, I even get angry at my dog when I walk her.

Just this past weekend I was trying to tutor a friend for her upcoming law and economics class. I don't know exactly how to explain this, but I essentially was getting mad at her because she was not taking what I said about Economics as fact. It's as though, if things or people don't go or do exactly what I say in exactly the way I say it, I just get so mad at them.

Tutoring wasn't all that I was mad about that night. Earlier, I seriously wanted to fight the waiter because he ALMOST put his hand on my shoulder when telling us the specials.

I didn't used to be like this. Last night I was looking up reasons why I was urinating 8 times a day (turns out it's the Adderall) and discovered a post about Adderall and anger. Something just clicked and I realized what has been happening. Luckily I'm not so ADD that I have to take the medication. So I'm going to stop.

I think you said your husband was taking 40 Mg per day. I was only taking 20, so I can imagine what he's going through.

My suggestion, only because it worked for me, ask him to read this post or someone else's post about Adderall and anger. If he is anything like me he doesn't like being angry and if he realizes what has been causing it, he'll probably stop.

All the best.

Old 01-14-2008, 11:13 AM   #11
Senior Veteran
(female)

janewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB User

Hi, College Stu!

Glad to know we've helped you out.

You might find that you're ok without medicine, or you might still have problems. In that case, you might want to try exercise to improve your concentration, or various techniques. Or maybe just some coffee.

Whatever happens, welcome.

Old 02-11-2008, 01:59 AM   #12
(male)

cme12299 HB User

Stu, I am also a college student recently perscribed adderall to treat my adhd and help me in classes (you can see my full post under "27 year old male with questions about newly prescribed medication. Please Help!"). I have noticed similar effects and have been told that it could be due to amphetamine intoxication. Apparently we are not supposed to feel the drug, just notice that it is there with our thought pattern and concentration levels. I was originally prescribed 60mg of ir throughout the day and have tapered that down to 20mg per day. With the higher doses I too have noticed the frequent urination (I have read goes away with time) and a slightly enlarged prostate (again with primarily the high doses of the medication). I have also read that taking the medication daily and not stopping once diagnosed is what will lead to long-term success. The hard part is finding the right dose for your body and getting past the "initiation phase" that adderall can put your body through.

Closed Thread