It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....



ADD / ADHD Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-24-2007, 03:05 PM   #1
Newbie
(female)
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: phoenix
Posts: 9
Loophole HB User
Smile thoughts on Omega 3

I recently read that introducing Omega 3 into your diet will help with ADHD / ADD.

Is this true? Has anyone else heard this? Will it be safe to introduce Omega 3 supplements to an 8-year-old?



Thoughts? Anyone?

 
Old 04-27-2007, 05:45 PM   #2
Member
(female)
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: canada
Posts: 71
lilypad1 HB User
Re: thoughts on Omega 3

Dear Loophole,i just came to this board and saw your question,it is a shame that you have had no responses.I too would be interested to know if Omega 3(also heard Evening Primrose oil)would help my ADHD 18 year old son.I recently started taking it myself to help me through some depressional problems with menopause.Let me know how you make out.I am going through a bad spell with my son at the moment,and may need to come here for some emotional support.Sincerely lily

 
Sponsors Lightbulb
   
Old 04-27-2007, 06:56 PM   #3
Senior Veteran
(female)
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Posts: 3,400
reachout HB Userreachout HB Userreachout HB Userreachout HB Userreachout HB Userreachout HB Userreachout HB Userreachout HB Userreachout HB Userreachout HB Userreachout HB User
Re: thoughts on Omega 3

I had read a while ago on this very board about Omega 3 Fish Oil being a helpful dietary supplement for ADD and ADHD. I shared this with my niece who has an ADHD 3 year old. She spoke with the doctor (pediatric) and he told her absolutely yes, that studies have shown a positive effect on ADHD children.

I would talk to your doctor about this as well as a nutritionist.
We are all hoping to see my niece improve. Best wishes to you guys, also.

reachout

 
Old 04-29-2007, 06:26 PM   #4
Senior Member
(female)
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: St. Cloud, FL USA
Posts: 189
KissAmeGal HB User
Re: thoughts on Omega 3

yes, i read that also. I tried it with my 13 year old, and there's been a difference. They say that kids with ADHD are usually missing the Fatty Acids that there bodies need, and the Omega 3 Fish Oil replaces it.

 
Old 04-29-2007, 07:32 PM   #5
Member
(female)
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: canada
Posts: 71
lilypad1 HB User
Smile Re: thoughts on Omega 3

Hi everyone,i have started my son on the Omega 3 6 9 as well as Evening primrose oil.He is willing to give it a try and i am very hopefull that it works.I feel so bad when i get discouraged or angry with my son,i know he has an illness and can't help some of the things he does or doesn't do.I love him more than life itself and keep my fingers crossed that i can find any natural medicines to help him.I will keep in touch and let you know how it goes,i'm not sure how long these oils take to kick in,God Bless you all Sincerely lily

 
Old 04-30-2007, 08:18 AM   #6
Member
(male)
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Location: Riverview, Michigan
Posts: 80
DJBucs2005 HB User
Re: thoughts on Omega 3

Geez, I am no nutritionist, but I don't know if it would hurt to give it a try and I don't see why it would. I long to get some reading done on ADHD and anxiety in general this summer, as I have problems with it.

After doing a bit of reading searching of a book I've started titled "Without Ritalin" (via school's library system), I have found a part in the "Feed the Body, Feed the Mind" chapter that talks of Omega-3 fatty acids and (paraphrase) that in a study, males with ADD were found to be deficient in Omega-3 fatty acids, 53% to be exact.

These types of fatty acids help in the myelination process, in which Omega-3 fatty acids coat the axons and dendrites of a neuron and help speed up neurotransmission. That is essentially why you'll hear people say "Eat fish, it's BRAIN food.." It has those fats/oils.

There is a thread titled "thoughts on drugs for ADD" that speaks a bit about my opinion on ADHD that I started (that was mostly a continuation of a previous thread from a few years back). Logically, the increased rate of ADD is so very disproportionate, that it leads me to believe that the greatest causes are food/diet, environmentmental pollution, as well as other possible toxins such as cleaners for example. Some aspects of the food/diet are hard to get around with the changing lifestyles with two incomes per household (specifically mothers) and foods that are processed, for on-the-go, or very easily cooked, and when you look at food labels and I oftentimes see more chemicals than actual FOOD.

Last edited by Administrator; 05-05-2007 at 12:05 PM. Reason: Do not alter moderator editing! do not quote from a book

 
Old 04-30-2007, 09:17 AM   #7
Junior Member
(male)
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: Irvine, CA, USA
Posts: 13
chessknt87 HB User
Re: thoughts on Omega 3

Biochemically speaking, omega 3 acids are extremely beneficial for your health. They have been shown to reduce cholesterol, make your heart healthier, and promote neural health in terms of memory. I do not think it is by any means a cure, but like the above poster said, it cannot hurt. It is naturally found in fish as because they promote neural development. Naturally present in fish as eicosapentaenoic acid or as linoleic acid. Supplements are available too. If yo uchoose to go the natural route, DO NOT COOK THE OIL. This will destroy its beneficial conformation and essentially turn it into a substance that does more harm than good. Also eb aware of mercury in the types of fish you eat and its irreversible damage on neural health as well.

Someone above said they were using omega 6 acids. Omega 6 fatty acids, although necessary to live, are highly present in an unhealthy diet and have been shown to cause disease.

 
Old 04-30-2007, 06:23 PM   #8
Member
(male)
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Location: Riverview, Michigan
Posts: 80
DJBucs2005 HB User
Re: thoughts on Omega 3

I want to add one more thing just to clarify myself. While diet alone is obviously not the cause, as not everyone has ADD, I am suggesting that possibly those who are succeptible to it or, as some research has shown, those who may inherit it genetically, are more impacted by the change in foods today, environmental pollution, or whatever other factors.

Quote:
Originally Posted by chessknt87 View Post
Biochemically speaking, omega 3 acids are extremely beneficial for your health. They have been shown to reduce cholesterol, make your heart healthier, and promote neural health in terms of memory. I do not think it is by any means a cure, but like the above poster said, it cannot hurt. It is naturally found in fish as because they promote neural development. Naturally present in fish as eicosapentaenoic acid or as linoleic acid. Supplements are available too. If yo uchoose to go the natural route, DO NOT COOK THE OIL. This will destroy its beneficial conformation and essentially turn it into a substance that does more harm than good. Also eb aware of mercury in the types of fish you eat and its irreversible damage on neural health as well.

Someone above said they were using omega 6 acids. Omega 6 fatty acids, although necessary to live, are highly present in an unhealthy diet and have been shown to cause disease.
In response to chesknt87's comment above, specifically the bolded text, I am not quite following you. Do not cook the oil? What do you mean by this? I can't imagine you are suggesting one is to eat raw fish, but who knows? Do you mean not to overcook the fish, or what?

 
Old 04-30-2007, 07:42 PM   #9
Member
(female)
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: canada
Posts: 71
lilypad1 HB User
Re: thoughts on Omega 3

Dear DJ and Chess,and all who replied.I am fighting back tears as i read your posts about the foods we feed our kids in this fast paced world we live in.I wish i would have had someone explain this to me 10 years ago when i reluctently agreed to administer Ritalin to my 8 year old son.As it is now,my 18 year old son's eating habits are hit and miss.He flies in and out of the house at all hours.He has been suspended from school for the rest of the year.My son has court appearences coming up for something he feels(as always)is not his fault.My son refused to take Ritalin after the age of 12 and i did agree.Ritalin changed him and had long term effects on him.I worry about him all day and have several heart skipping moments every night when the phone rings.I will never give up on him though and will continue to try any alternative help i can get for him.Thankyou all again for your words of wisdom,God Bless you all in this difficult journey.It has helped me tremendously to be able to vent on this board.Sincerely Lily

 
Old 04-30-2007, 07:57 PM   #10
Junior Member
(male)
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: Irvine, CA, USA
Posts: 13
chessknt87 HB User
Re: thoughts on Omega 3

Quote:
Originally Posted by DJBucs2005 View Post
I want to add one more thing just to clarify myself. While diet alone is obviously not the cause, as not everyone has ADD, I am suggesting that possibly those who are succeptible to it or, as some research has shown, those who may inherit it genetically, are more impacted by the change in foods today, environmental pollution, or whatever other factors.



In response to chesknt87's comment above, specifically the bolded text, I am not quite following you. Do not cook the oil? What do you mean by this? I can't imagine you are suggesting one is to eat raw fish, but who knows? Do you mean not to overcook the fish, or what?
The reason why Omega 3 acids are healthy for us is because of a the configuration of the fatty acid chain structure, specifically the configuration of the double bonds (cis or trans). When you heat the fatty acid up, you give it kinetic energy and whenever a substance is given enough energy, it will ultimately fall into the most thermodynamically stable path, which is in this case trans double bonds.
By heating the oil you change its structure and therefore its nutritional value (almost always make it much more harmful than good). Thus eating raw fish (i.e. sushi) or supplements would be (I imagine) the best way to get omega 3 oils from a fish source. As I said in my last post, other forms of omega 3 acids are available if you don't want to do it that way.
@ the original poster: you are welcome. Food is probably not responsible and it isn't entirely your fault since (until recently), nearly all processed (and therefore affordable food) contained huge amounts of harmful omega 6 acids. Scientists are still trying to find a more solid link, but we have all grown up on this stuff and it is hard to fully give up or even get rid of without going vegan. Just do your best and know you are doing better by trying to eliminate than you were before you didnt know about it.

 
Old 05-01-2007, 10:52 AM   #11
Member
(male)
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Location: Riverview, Michigan
Posts: 80
DJBucs2005 HB User
Re: thoughts on Omega 3

Quote:
Originally Posted by chessknt87 View Post
The reason why Omega 3 acids are healthy for us is because of a the configuration of the fatty acid chain structure, specifically the configuration of the double bonds (cis or trans). When you heat the fatty acid up, you give it kinetic energy and whenever a substance is given enough energy, it will ultimately fall into the most thermodynamically stable path, which is in this case trans double bonds.
By heating the oil you change its structure and therefore its nutritional value (almost always make it much more harmful than good). Thus eating raw fish (i.e. sushi) or supplements would be (I imagine) the best way to get omega 3 oils from a fish source. As I said in my last post, other forms of omega 3 acids are available if you don't want to do it that way.
@ the original poster: you are welcome. Food is probably not responsible and it isn't entirely your fault since (until recently), nearly all processed (and therefore affordable food) contained huge amounts of harmful omega 6 acids. Scientists are still trying to find a more solid link, but we have all grown up on this stuff and it is hard to fully give up or even get rid of without going vegan. Just do your best and know you are doing better by trying to eliminate than you were before you didnt know about it.
Thanks for clarification. Not that I think you are trying to steer me wrong, but I don't know if I've heard of this in regards to fish. I know certain foods are better for you if eaten raw. I do take fish oil supplements, not on a daily basis, but every now and then and probably will be taking them about 3-6 times a week.

While I respect your opinion, I do think diet may be a culprit in ADD. There are probably many factors though. If you'd like to share your opinion in regards to this further, discuss it here if you'd like [url]http://www.healthboards.com/boards/showthread.php?t=493826[/url], as this thread is a bit more encompassing, and really, this discussion on Omega-3 fatty acids could be in there, but that's ok.

Quote:
Originally Posted by lilypad1 View Post
Dear DJ and Chess,and all who replied.I am fighting back tears as i read your posts about the foods we feed our kids in this fast paced world we live in.I wish i would have had someone explain this to me 10 years ago when i reluctently agreed to administer Ritalin to my 8 year old son.As it is now,my 18 year old son's eating habits are hit and miss.He flies in and out of the house at all hours.He has been suspended from school for the rest of the year.My son has court appearences coming up for something he feels(as always)is not his fault.My son refused to take Ritalin after the age of 12 and i did agree.Ritalin changed him and had long term effects on him.I worry about him all day and have several heart skipping moments every night when the phone rings.I will never give up on him though and will continue to try any alternative help i can get for him.Thankyou all again for your words of wisdom,God Bless you all in this difficult journey.It has helped me tremendously to be able to vent on this board.Sincerely Lily


lilypad1
Thank you for your response. I have said it time and time again, that the big drug companies really do not wholeheartedly care about their customers in the large part, so I can understand your child not wanting to take ritalin. The impacts of these drugs may be beneficial, but also are shown to have side effects. More importantly, what is the CAUSE? If the cause can not be found out in the short term, what other natural alternative route can be taken to try out instead of just a sudden, unquestioned compliance with taking these medications? I started taking some medication. Centaron. I didn't like what it did to me, and my psychiatrist said it may make me more tense, as I do have a moderate anxiety problem.

Last edited by DJBucs2005; 05-01-2007 at 10:53 AM.

 
Old 05-02-2007, 07:20 PM   #12
Member
(female)
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: canada
Posts: 71
lilypad1 HB User
Re: thoughts on Omega 3

Dear Loophole,i have been thinking about you,hope all is well.Just checking in and wondered if you have introduced Omega 3 into your son's treatment?If you have or haven't,just want your thoughts,Sincerely lily

 
Old 05-03-2007, 06:28 AM   #13
Junior Member
(male)
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: wv
Posts: 22
Nightclub HB User
Re: thoughts on Omega 3

I started doing some research on Omega 3. My mother is a certified dietition, so I asked her about it. And apparently she has been taking the supplment for many years.

I started taking it yesterday. Now Im not sure if this is the placebo effect or not, but when I woke up this morning, I did not feel the "withdraw" effects nearly as bad from my stimulant medication I take everyday. Typically, I will wake up and I feel like I cant do anything until the ADD medicine kicks in, but this morning I felt a sense that the medicine was still working just very weak.

Placebo? I dont know, but the oddest thing happened last night in my dreams. Im an International Merchant, (Importer/Exporter) and I was up late last night researching latest trends. Well I woke up this morning, and I remembered my dreams. I was dreaming about my business, as in the latest trends.

I feel a little sharper this morning. I just woke up and I felt sharp, and intellectually more confident. Now My ADD medicine has kicked in, and I feel like Im the smartest man in the world! lol just joking of course, but I do feel very sharp.

I am just about to increase my dosage of concerta from 36mg to 54mg because the effects were starting to fade at 36mg. But, if these effects are consistent with 36mg concerta and Omega 3 supplements, then I have no need to increase my concerta dosage. Like I said, placebo? I dont know, but I feel very sharp.

 
Old 05-04-2007, 06:57 PM   #14
Member
(female)
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: canada
Posts: 71
lilypad1 HB User
Re: thoughts on Omega 3

Dear Nightclub,i found your posting to be encouraging,uplifting and promising!Who knows how quickly this works for some.Wouldn't it be great if you didn't need to increase your meds and even better if you could be rid of them some day!I say keep going with the Omega for sure(it can't hurt).If you don't mind me asking how many milligrams you are taking?How old are you?Do you take only Omega 3,or Omega 3 6 9?Sorry for being nosey but i really want to learn as much as i can about taking the Omega route.I sincerely thank you in advance of your response,God bless Lily

 
Old 05-05-2007, 06:26 AM   #15
Junior Member
(male)
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: wv
Posts: 22
Nightclub HB User
Re: thoughts on Omega 3

hello. I am 24 years old, 240 pounds... At the moment I only take 1200mg Omega 3, I will be adding Omega 6 soon, and probably something else as the supplements.

 
Closed Thread

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Board Replies Last Post
Omega 3 versus Cortisone injections: thoughts? snap1 Back Problems 4 01-26-2010 04:31 PM
I tried omega 3, zink, magnesium from food & local honey to help my asthma -WOW! t_411 Asthma 6 06-15-2007 04:44 PM
Omega-3 and bone health osteoblast Osteoporosis 8 04-10-2007 10:19 AM
Omega 6's Info 6foot3 Alternative Medicine 4 01-02-2006 12:18 PM
my son is having bad thoughts cindyheehaw Depression 11 09-04-2005 07:54 PM




Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is Off
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off




Join Our Newsletter

Stay healthy through tips curated by our health experts.

Whoops,

There was a problem adding your email Try again

Thank You

Your email has been added




Top 10 Drugs Discussed on this Board.
(Go to DrugTalk.com for complete list)
Adderall
Amphetamine
Concerta
Metadate
Methylphenidate
  Prozac
Ritalin
Strattera
Wellbutrin
Zoloft




TOP THANKED CONTRIBUTORS



addprogrammer (94), janewhite1 (90), Thunor (48), marisuela (15), iluv (10), addventurous (10), Administrator (9), LessStress38 (9), Jasmine80 (6), CharBerry (6)

Site Wide Totals

teteri66 (1180), MSJayhawk (1005), Apollo123 (906), Titchou (850), janewhite1 (823), Gabriel (759), ladybud (755), midwest1 (669), sammy64 (668), BlueSkies14 (607)



All times are GMT -7. The time now is 01:54 AM.



Site owned and operated by HealthBoards.comô
Terms of Use © 1998-2014 HealthBoards.comô All rights reserved.
Do not copy or redistribute in any form!