It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

ADD / ADHD Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-27-2007, 10:32 AM   #1
(female)

BelindaM HB User
ADHD is NOT a mental Illness!

The psychologist John Gohler in Boston is running the neurotalk board. He placed ADHD under mental illnesses along with schitzophrenia and depression, instead of under medical disorders like autism.

I might petition his practice to change that.

Old 06-27-2007, 12:20 PM   #2
Inactive
(female)

Jennita HB User
Re: ADHD is NOT a mental Illness!

But this is where psychiatry sticks it to you. They put whatever they feel is a "disorder" in their DSM manual and wah-la, a new mental illness right up there with schizo and bi-polar. Once it's in there, it joins the others in the theory(yes, theory because no biologically conclusive proof) of biologically caused mental disorder/disease.

Personally, IMHO< I feel ADD people are simply different than the "norm", not diseased or disordered but psychiatry wants to label more and more things as disease so the insurance co's will cover the visits and medications.

But technically, ADD is a mental illness according to psychiatry and medicine. The question is, why do we believe everything we are told... without absolute proof only theory I might add.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 07-06-2007, 06:45 PM   #3
(female)

jmhdot HB User

First of all the DSM does not claim that all the disorders it contains are biological in nature. WHile some are, some are not. These things are studied for many years and are continually updated as new research comes out...it is not just a happenstance thing.

If the doctors did not out it downaas disorder there would be countless people, parents, etc. in an uproar because the insurance wouldn't pay for it!

If someone has a disorder (mental or biological) that is inpairing their functioning in society/school, shouldn't we do whatever is necessary to help them? Why get caught up on this point? If this doctor is helping people to live better lives with higher self-esteem, who cares how he classifies it?

Judi

Old 07-06-2007, 11:38 PM   #4
Inactive
(female)

Jennita HB User

Every mental disorder/illness is medicated(except where patient refuses of course) and the chemical imbalance theory is used to justify it. If the DSM does not state it, that is of no matter because the DSM defines what is mental disorder or not....and mental disorders have been declared chemical imbalances in biological makeup so that brings us back to the point that yes, ADD is considered a mental "disorder"(mental illness).

Now, who cares? Obviously alot of people care, the original poster cares and quite frankly, I'd care if it was my kid who was considered mentally ill just because he was having difficulty in school.

ADD is a psychiatric label and considered "illness/disorder" of the brain without any real confirmation other than theory.

Old 07-30-2007, 05:44 AM   #5
Veteran
(female)

hotdam HB User

Both my Sons were labled ADHD as well as emotionally handicapped which I might add ticked me off, they have been on Medication, my eldest no longer takes meds and he is fine, my youngest does because guess what he cannot sit still in the classroom, now many years ago this was dealt with at school, and at home without meds, Children were called "hyperkinetic" that was it, end of story, now a days because a child is overactive and cannot sit still is labled ADHD and the current resolution is drugs. And we as parents are put in that situation where we make a decision and it is always in the best interest of the child or is it.

Our hands are tied because we have a system that wants soldiers in the class room. Sorry just had to vent a little, been at this for years with my boys.

Old 07-30-2007, 12:30 PM   #6
(female)

jendg28 HB User

I have Bipolar disorder and I'm insulted by some of these remarks. So what if it's a "mental" disorder, a neurological disorder, a renal disorder or a cardiac disorder. It's flat out a disorder. Whoever has the "disorder" suffers no matter what you call it. This is one of the many reasons people with "mental disorders" have to put up with stigma's. People are embarassed to admit when they or someone they love suffers from them. Who cares about the DSM? I would rather say I have a chronic illness.

Old 07-30-2007, 01:12 PM   #7
Senior Veteran
(female)

index.html HB User

I understand how you feel, jendg28. You might can relate better to the thread called "ADHD is a Disorder" a little further down on this board.

Old 07-31-2007, 10:55 AM   #8
Inactive
(female)

Jennita HB User

But the parent starting this thread here who is simply trying to help their child pass classes because it is having trouble is definately not happy with some group of doctors (namely psychiatrists) calling their child mentally ill when in fact their is no proven biological illness where ADD is concerned. There are no neurological symptoms, no psychosis, no hearing voices, etc.

And yes, sorry, but mental illness is a stigma.... I'm not saying that it is right or just or fair, but that's the way it is in reality.

So if one is to live with a stigma like that, one surely would want it to be accurate, not made up or only "theorized" as such. Just because some psychiatrists got together, lumped some very common childhood problems into a "diagnosis" and stamped it mental illness simply does not make it so. They don't even have any biological proof that medication is necessary and alot of kids have either outgrown it or even simply used alternative methods to get better.

My "ADHD" nephew traded drugs for tutor and his failing math grade went up to a C. Nothing exciting but it shows that kids can improve at school without drugs or being told they are mentally disordered and drugs are the only fix.

So I can understand the original poster's upset on the matter.

Last edited by Jennita; 07-31-2007 at 11:02 AM.

Old 08-01-2007, 02:43 PM   #9
(female)

eire1032 HB User

I am a 26 year old and still suffering with ADD(not ADHD). If you do not think that ADD is a disorder and is something that makes it a little difficult in school as a child, then congratulations, you apparently do not have this disorder. Lucky you. I, however, am a severe and textbook case. I am an adult with two children under the age of three and it is VITAL for the sake of my children that I get on medication. I have tried ritalin as a child, which gave me headaches, and I have tried Welbutrin, which was great because it helped me focus and helped me stop smoking but it kept me up at night.
I cannot express to you how hard it is to live with this disorder. I spend the majority of my time trying to remember what it was that I am doing. Following through with task is impossible. I can never remeber to bring my diaper bag when I go somewhere. My friends who are mothers always bring extra diaper and burp cloth when we meet b/c they expect me to forget mine. This has gone on since I was diagnosed at age 5. I can remember being in class as a child and looking around the room, confused as to what page we were supposed to be working on and I would wonder how everyone else seemed to know what to do...too embarrassed to ask the teacher I would just pretend to be working too. I also remember taking test and wondering how everyone else got finished so fast. I would just bubble in "c" down the page to save myself the humiliation of being the last to finish...and I don't just mean being last, I mean finishing 30 minutes later. I can remember spend HOURS on homework only to forget to bring it to school. It wasn't just in academics. When I got my driver's license, my friend bought me a keychain that said "keys I haven't lost yet".
So, maybe you can understand why someone with this DISORDER could also be depressed...which is also a CHEMICAL IMBALANCE. So, my point is that depression and ADD may not be as far apart than you think. (i'm not implying that they are the same but that they can go hand and hand.)

Old 08-04-2007, 09:37 AM   #10
(male)

pantherx HB User

It makes me physically ill to think about kids spending their childhood being forced medicated just for being a kid.

I'm no physician, but every case of so-called ADHD I've seen is a combination of boredom plus an intolerant, unattentive parent who wants their kid to fit some ideal model.

Abandoning them at infancy (read Day Care) doesn't help - without all-day contact, the parent doesn't really know the child and instead sits in an office imagining what their child should be like. The child just wants his/her parent and can't focus because of separation anxiety and trying everything, anything to get the parent to want them. By adolescence the kid has developed a support group of friends and no longer feels he/she needs marching orders from a parent who's already neglected them.

Unsatisfactory grades are probably less likely to lead to failure and resentment later in life than are constant criticism and forced medication.

Love your kids the way they are.

Old 08-04-2007, 11:50 AM   #11
Inactive
(female)

Jennita HB User

What you say could be true in some cases, I do agree with you. But there are alot of good parents of ADD kids who really are trying to do what is best. Sometimes it could be a parent who is being told by the school system how there child is not up to snuff and the pressure is enormous to do the right thing for the child, which is usually drugs. Parents who try alternatives besides drugs can also be viewed as a bad parents by society since psychiatry has now medicalized children's behaviors, in other words they insist drugs are necessary. It seems to be a mix of reasons why this is going on.

My nephew was diagnosed ADD awhile back, it could be he simply was a slow maturer, had a different functioning brain which couldn't focus, etc. but actually I wonder if it was because he is a very sensitive, emotional kid and his parents were having trouble back then (unknown to the rest of us at the time). Now the parents divorced. The drug side effects on my nephew caused them both to discontinue the drugs so he doesn't take anything.

But his grades have improved(although he did need a tutor for math) his parents always gave him alot of attention but perhaps now there is some peace finally for him, no more parents fighting everyday.

I wonder if it is sometimes emotional....the type like you mentioned, or maybe even things like disharmony/fights in the family, possibly maybe not being able to make friends, being bullied at school, the pressure of today's school curriculum (which IMHO is very tough these days), perhaps not enough exercise, nutrients etc.

I don't think there is one easy answer nor blame for ADD....at least not in all cases. But I do feel like you do about the drug part, especially with all the possible hazards to health and mind they can cause. And I still believe, IMHO, it is not mental illness comparable or grouped into such as schizophrenia or bi-polar.

Old 08-04-2007, 01:29 PM   #12
Senior Veteran
(male)

addprogrammer HB Useraddprogrammer HB Useraddprogrammer HB Useraddprogrammer HB Useraddprogrammer HB Useraddprogrammer HB Useraddprogrammer HB Useraddprogrammer HB Useraddprogrammer HB Useraddprogrammer HB Useraddprogrammer HB User

Jennita,

I don't like the designation of "ADHD" for the named disorder because "Attention Deficit" is so generic that everyone thinks it is. Oh, I can't concentrate must have ADHD. Geeezzzzzz.

My best guess is that LITERALLY thousands of things can cause generic "attention deficit." That does not disprove that the named "condition" ADHD does not exist.

If I may illustrate: I have been described as having OCD "traits" by both my shrink and fam doc. I agree. I obsess over details much more than normal. Hmmmmmn, wonder if that has anything to do with being a "not half bad" software guy? But it is not a disorder because I can control it. Simply tell myself "screw it, it is not that important when it is not that important." I feel the urge but can "do the right thing" with a little self-control.

"They" say the executive functions reside in the prefront cortex section of brain. I am not sure what "they" mean by "executive functions." To me a executive function deficit would be not knowing what to do when I should be doing it. At least in my case that is inaccurate. I rarely do not know what I should be doing when I should be doing it.

Let's sub illustrate with a not to far from reality illustration: I go to "Health Boards" when I know I should be working. Easy fix, right? Don't do that. Here is my problem: I can't "go to work" because that requires that I organize my thoughts and "focus" on a specific course of action. At times it has been IMPOSSIBLE to do what I know I should be doing. Do you see why "they" say I have an attention "disorder" and OCD "traits." The reason that I am confident that I have the "disorder" is because I never NOT had the "disorder" if that makes any sense.

The reason I take it very personal when it is claimed that my disorder is not a disorder is because that means I was right for 53 years - there is something wrong with my character. Damn it anyway. I know it all along. I am a loser. On the other hand, how can we explain the dramatic beneficial changes I have been all to effect in the past two years by following psychiatric advice that "assumes" a biological problem with my brain. Incidently, it is circumstantial evidence, but the preponderance of it puts ADHD in the jail house by a any reasonable and prudent jury.

Bob

Old 08-04-2007, 02:21 PM   #13
Senior Veteran
(female)

index.html HB User

Back to the original post:
Quote:
He placed ADHD under mental illnesses along with schitzophrenia and depression, instead of under medical disorders like autism.
It is my belief that, at some point in the future, not only will ADHD be considered a "medical disorder" like autism is, but so will schizophrenia, depression, bipolar disorder, and the rest. Unfortunately for those of us currently affected by these disorders, we aren't there yet in our understanding, but at some point, we will be.

Old 08-04-2007, 02:32 PM   #14
Senior Veteran
(male)

addprogrammer HB Useraddprogrammer HB Useraddprogrammer HB Useraddprogrammer HB Useraddprogrammer HB Useraddprogrammer HB Useraddprogrammer HB Useraddprogrammer HB Useraddprogrammer HB Useraddprogrammer HB Useraddprogrammer HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by index.html View Post
It is my belief that, at some point in the future, not only will ADHD be considered a "medical disorder" like autism is, but so will schizophrenia, depression, bipolar disorder, and the rest. Unfortunately for those of us currently affected by these disorders, we aren't there yet in our understanding, but at some point, we will be.
It is my "belief" that the only ones that do not "believe" in ADHD are those that don't have it.

Trust me. It is a FREAKING disease forget disorder. I know. I got it. So does Index.html, Rheanna and many others that post here. But not all.

Bob

PS Index, don't get me in warrior mode. I'll get banned

Old 08-05-2007, 12:10 AM   #15
Inactive
(female)

Jennita HB User

To call something "disease" in biology would need some cellular, structural, organic pathology of some sort, yes? In other words, something that can be identified as "damaged".

Even pain, which most people think has not been biologically proven, actually has been:they've seen the damaged nerve endings. But ADD brains only show inconclusive differences in glucose metabolism in scans which could be considered different; a different way for a brain function. Seems these brains are high on the IQ rating, not exactly damaged goods IMHO. There also seems to be no neurological damages as a result of brain dysfunction with ADD, unlike things like autism, retardation, parkinsons, etc.

ADD scans are not even something like the actual structural damages they've seen in scans of schizophrenics and even alcoholic or drug user damages...so, they do have the technology to find actual brain damage yet they still cannot, after at least the over 15 yrs. of trying since the birth of the decade of the brain and the popularity of Ritalin since the '90's. Differences in function is not disease or damage, otherwise all left-handed people should be considered diseased or disordered since they are of a smaller population different than the rest of us I suppose.

But of course, anything is possible... so I am simply stating what I think, based on things I have read from studies and such.

So I will NOT go so far as to say ADD is absolutely, without a doubt, not a biological problem, because the truth is everything about us... the good, bad and the ugly...is biological in nature; we are biological, organic creatures, not machines......so what can I say, anything is possible.....but for now, I think the people who believe it is not a biological "disease" do have valid reasons for thinking so, yes??

So, there will continue to be different views on the matter, and we really can't take it all so personally. We can only hope there will be better ways than drugs (for our health's sake) used and discovered for future generations.

No intention here of offending anyone, just saying what I am thinking on the subject.

Last edited by Jennita; 08-05-2007 at 12:12 AM.

Closed Thread