It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

ADD / ADHD Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-02-2007, 09:03 AM   #1
(female)

Akmomof2 HB User
Question ADD family needs advice!

My 16yo daughter was seeing a counselor for unrelated issues and was diagnosed with ADD recently. I was shocked(due to my ignorance) because she has been in the gifted programs since grade 2, never had problems in school, but suddenly in HS(and all the advanced AP courses) she seemed to hit a 'wall'...grades were sinking fast, very emotional, and cried because she couldnt remember/concentrate, etc. Homework wasnt getting turned in, lots of ZERO's. So, we started learning about ADD...and see that its hereditary...and the more I learn, the more I realized she got it from ME, her 43yo mom! I have all the classic symptoms, and immediately took myself into the doc and got evaluated...Oh yeah, he agreed. Put me on 5mg Adderall, 2xday to start. Meanwhile, my daughter was traveling so she still hadnt started any meds. I thought I'd try it out to see how it worked, what to expect, etc. 5mg did nothing, but I did play a little, doubled to 10mg/ 2xday, but ran out. Noticed a little effect, nothing major or exciting. Just started 20mg/2xday, and havent slept in 2 days...I've been up since 4am! I never had trouble sleeping before, ever. I wake up all night long. I'm sooo tired, but cant sleep, like I've been on caffeine all evening. I took the last dose at 2pm., so taking it earlier isnt really an option.

So...my daughter is about to start with adderall xr, but I worry about her getting insomnia as well. She DOES have trouble sleeping usually. She wont do well if she cant sleep, but I dont want to get her sleeping meds as well(I'm not a huge fan of ANY medication). Advice??

Also, my 12yo son is also clearly ADD...innattentive..not ADHD(like me!). He hit the same 'wall' this year, also in the gifted program but NOT a discipline problem at all. Sweet kid. He wants to be checked out. I need to get this medicine figured out before I put my baby on it though(protective mom!).

Clearly, a single ADHD mom with 2 ADD kids has its own built in excitement...lol...we cant find anything, we are always late, but we DO have fun!

Anyone else out there in my shoes? How did you manage to get everyone lined out? How do you sleep without adding sleep meds to the list? Will the insomnia go away? Its the only negative side effect I have(at this point). I can live with the cotton mouth and loss of appetite.....

Thanks

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 07-02-2007, 10:00 AM   #2
(female)

Callista HB User
Re: ADD family needs advice!

Don't worry about insomnia until she's tried the meds. My sleep cycle improved on Ritalin, for some reason. And of course the stims wear off before the night if you take them in the morning. Melatonin helps you sleep and is less "forceful" than OTC sleep meds. They use it for jet lag; it's a "nutritional supplement" but ask your doctor anyway.

Not taking XR pills could cause them to wear off sooner, and you could get to sleep easier that way.

Considered getting an ADD coach? If you have to help not only yourself but two kids, it might be better if somebody else did the main organizing until you've got the hang of it.

Last edited by Callista; 07-02-2007 at 10:00 AM.

Old 07-02-2007, 01:30 PM   #3
Inactive
(male)

JasonFMX HB User

What your describing sounds alot more like mania from bipolar rather than ADD.

just a thought.

Old 07-02-2007, 01:55 PM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)

mkgbrook HB Usermkgbrook HB Usermkgbrook HB Usermkgbrook HB Usermkgbrook HB Usermkgbrook HB Usermkgbrook HB Usermkgbrook HB Usermkgbrook HB Usermkgbrook HB Usermkgbrook HB User

Have you looked at my link between sleep apnea and ADD/ADHD post? It will help in ruling out the factors that cause young individuals to exhibit ADD/ADHD symptoms as a result of sleep deprivation versus an actual attention disorder.

Posting a detailed account of your sleep problems on the sleep disordewrs board might generate some added insight into your sleep issues as well.

Wishing you the best.
MG

Old 07-02-2007, 06:16 PM   #5
(female)

Akmomof2 HB User

I actually take the regular adderall, she is being told to take the XR(because of school). I worry that if the regular is messing up my sleep to this degree...what will the XR do to a girl that already has sleep trouble?

Also, I dont see the mood swings that would imply 'mania'. She has been in counseling for a few months(relationship issues with her dad) and he doesnt seem to feel that bipolar is an issue.

I hear that the ADD can really make it hard to 'shut down', and I'm hoping that meds will calm her brain a bit. However, for me its having a different effect. I hear so many conflicting reports-how it will go away over time, or how it means it isnt WORKING for me. I dont really know if I should be riding this out or talking to the doc about trying something different. Other than this, I have no real negative effects, eg jitteriness, etc.

I have NO IDEA how to go about finding local info on coaches. I hear about their benefits, but this is a small town, and I dont see anything online listed, or in the phone book. Also, I dont know if its financially feasible. This whole ADD thing is not a cheap thing to deal with.

Old 07-02-2007, 06:19 PM   #6
(female)

Akmomof2 HB User

[QUOTE=mkgbrook;3076432]Have you looked at my link between sleep apnea and ADD/ADHD post? It will help in ruling out the factors that cause young individuals to exhibit ADD/ADHD symptoms as a result of sleep deprivation versus an actual attention disorder.

I see where they could be linked, certainly. I do beleive that her sleep is CAUSED by her ADD. We tried everything last school year, including using melatonin to help her rest. Very often she slept really well, but still had the daily frustration at school. Honestly, I beleived THAT was the issue all year, but even when sleep was good, problems didnt subside.

Old 07-03-2007, 06:14 AM   #7
Senior Veteran
(female)

rheanna HB Userrheanna HB User

Akmomof2,

Please remember that everyone reacts to the various meds in a different way -- even the people within the same family. A med that works for one person may not work for another or have entirely the wrong effects. And some people cannot tolerate any of them. Each of the members of your family will have their own adventures in finding meds and behavior modifications and diet that will help to balance out the different forms of ADD that each of you has.

Quote:
Clearly, a single ADHD mom with 2 ADD kids has its own built in excitement...lol...we cant find anything, we are always late, but we DO have fun!
I am glad that you all are able to look on the fun side of being a somewhat chaotic family. It can't be easy, but a sense of humor certainly helps!

--Rheanna

Closed Thread