It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

ADD / ADHD Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-08-2007, 04:17 PM   #1
Senior Veteran
(male)

addprogrammer HB Useraddprogrammer HB Useraddprogrammer HB Useraddprogrammer HB Useraddprogrammer HB Useraddprogrammer HB Useraddprogrammer HB Useraddprogrammer HB Useraddprogrammer HB Useraddprogrammer HB Useraddprogrammer HB User
Brand vs Generic

kjrunner stated that there is a difference between brand meds and their supposed generic equivalents - essence of kj's thought.

I started with Shire Adderall and it worked well. To reduce cost I switched to generic. Eon was manufacturer. It too worked well. Then all the pharmacies in my area switched to another pharmeceutical and that generic made me very jittery. I told my doctor and she told me I was crazy. I said, of course I'm crazy, this generic makes me more crazy. The other less crazy. She was unswayed.

That's when I swore off family doctors and found me a good shrink.

Us ADHDers always need to do being something new. My latest incarnation is chef. Wife and I have a friendly competition but more often are collaborators. I love Fahitas. The active spice ingredients are garlic and ginder. I used "generic" for my beta Fahitas, neither garlic or ginger are powders that grow in jars, yet I used them. Then a friend of ours said, "I'm crazy" using "generic." She said you must use brand name garlic and ginger.

Tonight I found out. Ginger is not a powder. It is a retarded looking root. I never saw brand name until a few days ago.

The difference is unbelievable. I had to trash all my Fahita code and do a complete rewrite. The Fahitas we just ate tasted better than all the thousands I've eaten at Southwestern and Mexican restaurants in PA.

I'll bet a chemical analysis can not tell the difference between generic and brand ginger.

Two thingys:

1. Have you had similar experience with ADHD meds? (Or Fahitas )

2. If you are responding adversely to a generic med, that might just be the problem.

If our tongues can tell the difference between brand and generic, best believe our brains can.

Anyway, if you've had similar experience post. In fact, not a similar experience, post anyway.

Bob

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 07-08-2007, 05:34 PM   #2
(female)

Callista HB User
Re: Brand vs Generic

It can be the other way 'round too. The generic can be superior to the brand-name stuff. In most situations they're functionally identical, but if you have trouble with either type, trying the other is a strategy to try.

Old 07-09-2007, 04:32 AM   #3
Senior Veteran
(male)

addprogrammer HB Useraddprogrammer HB Useraddprogrammer HB Useraddprogrammer HB Useraddprogrammer HB Useraddprogrammer HB Useraddprogrammer HB Useraddprogrammer HB Useraddprogrammer HB Useraddprogrammer HB Useraddprogrammer HB User

Thanks Callista.

The visa-versa is what I was looking for.

Brain sensistivity is phenomenal. Our brainys response to micrograms of many substances - favorably and unfavorable. Med management is no no-brainer.

Bob

Old 07-10-2007, 11:00 AM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)

index.html HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Callista View Post
The generic can be superior to the brand-name stuff.
Theoretically, this makes sense. But I must say that in my years, I've never heard anyone complain that a brand-name didn't work as well for them as a generic. I'm interested in your experience - which generic did you find to be superior?

Old 07-10-2007, 04:47 PM   #5
(female)

Callista HB User

It's not related to ADHD, but I've never gotten near as good results from Aleve as from generic naproxen sodium.

Old 07-10-2007, 04:50 PM   #6
Senior Veteran
(female)

index.html HB User

Wow, that's interesting!

Old 07-10-2007, 11:23 PM   #7
Senior Veteran
(female)

rheanna HB Userrheanna HB User

What I have learned about the difference between brand name and generic is that there can be a difference in the "delivery system" between the two. Even when the active ingredient is the same, the other ingredients and proportions thereof can make a difference in how the body deals with the active ingredient.

--Rheanna

Old 07-10-2007, 11:33 PM   #8
Senior Veteran
(female)

rheanna HB Userrheanna HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by addprogrammer View Post
Us ADHDers always need to do being something new. My latest incarnation is chef. Wife and I have a friendly competition but more often are collaborators. I love Fahitas. The active spice ingredients are garlic and ginder. I used "generic" for my beta Fahitas, neither garlic or ginger are powders that grow in jars, yet I used them. Then a friend of ours said, "I'm crazy" using "generic." She said you must use brand name garlic and ginger.

Tonight I found out. Ginger is not a powder. It is a retarded looking root. I never saw brand name until a few days ago.

The difference is unbelievable. I had to trash all my Fahita code and do a complete rewrite. The Fahitas we just ate tasted better than all the thousands I've eaten at Southwestern and Mexican restaurants in PA.

I'll bet a chemical analysis can not tell the difference between generic and brand ginger.
Brand name ginger is a wonderful drug. Generic powdered ginger doesn't even have the same active ingredient. I'm glad your fajitas have found a drug that works.

--Rheanna

Old 07-11-2007, 10:43 PM   #9
Inactive
(female)

Jennita HB User

[removed]

Given these facts, it seems any perceived benefit of brand over generic could be placebo effect. Unless we want to say the FDA is lying about quality testing....ok, don't get me started on that.

Last edited by mod-anon; 07-12-2007 at 09:18 PM. Reason: Do not copy material directly from another website.

Old 07-12-2007, 11:53 PM   #10
Inactive
(female)

Jennita HB User

Ok, basically the facts stated were that generic had same quality testing and approval from FDA as brand names and contain same level of same medication as brand names. Also, the major cost of brand is the research and marketing costs of the name brand, not higher quality.

Closed Thread