It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

ADD / ADHD Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-12-2007, 10:41 AM   #1
(female)

yvette84 HB User
Question ways to help ADD without medication?

Hi, I was wondering if there are any ways to change your lifestyle or anything that helps you control your ADD without having to get on meds?
thanx

Old 07-12-2007, 01:15 PM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

index.html HB User
Re: ways to help ADD without medication?

Definitely, there are things you can do. It would help, though, if you could tell us what specific areas are problem areas for you.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 07-12-2007, 02:02 PM   #3
(female)

yvette84 HB User

just not able to focus for long. I have like the commercial says "it's like the channels keep changing in my head" constant crazy mind thinking, and it seems as though I can't even sit through a looong movie without my mind wandering or do school work and concentrate!

Old 07-15-2007, 01:00 PM   #4
Inactive
(female)

Jennita HB User

Well, everyone on the ADD board has at many times complained of losing their car keys all the time, not remembering easy things, etc. and somehow that is considered ADD trait. But I read recently in a magazine that losing car keys is not really abnormal; that our brains have too many things to remember so sometimes it isn't so easy to access every detail all the time.

The article really had to do with people's fear of getting Alzheimers, but the key thing is mentioned so many times here I thought it was appropriate comparison. So the article mentioned one very helpful suggestion, it said blood flow and oxygenation to the brain is very important for concentration and memory.

It suggested that regular aerobic exercise would be helpful in that area. I would think it would also help some of the ADD traits. At any rate, I think it couldn't hurt!

Last edited by Jennita; 07-15-2007 at 01:02 PM.

Old 07-15-2007, 04:21 PM   #5
Veteran
(female)

petal*pusher HB User

Yvette...I remember reading about how important DIET is to any type of diagnosed syndrome!

My daughter (now 29) was diagnosed with JRA at 7. We read everything we could about arthritis...and found red meat and certain other foods were a big cause. Both of us are now vegetarians. Me? I simply found out I felt so much better eating in this manner. Good luck.........and good for you looking for answers other than what the medical field wants us to believe!............p

Last edited by moderator2; 07-15-2007 at 04:46 PM. Reason: posting hints to find websites is cause to be banned the same as posting the website

Old 07-16-2007, 06:54 AM   #6
Senior Veteran
(female)

index.html HB User

yvette84,

For school work, keep your learning as active as possible. Read/study with a pencil and highlighter in hand. Underline important words and highllight their meanings. Rewrite your notes. Make flash cards. Pace the floor while you study your flashcards. Chew gum while you study. Believe it or not, studies have indicated that chewing gum and/or playing with a stress ball while you study really does help the ADD brain.

For really difficult classes, it helps to tape record the lecture. Then you can play it back and fill in the missing parts in your notes.

Good luck!

Old 07-30-2007, 09:54 PM   #7
(male)

By_HIS_stripes HB User

Hello Yvette84 and threadies, Yes!!! A most emphatic yes, there are ways to help ADD without medication. Please let me set the stage with some background. I'll work into practical ideas and then I'll revisit the thread and sprinkle more gems in when I have the time.

Everyone with a pin-the-tail-on-the-donkey diagnosis labeling them, do not have the same reasons for their condition and will respond brilliantly to different intervention strategies!

I think in terms of beginning life with a certain number of resiliances and vulnerabilities. You could say strengths and weaknesses. Everyone begins life with a set of genetic vulnerabilities. In addition to genetics, we have metabolic, social and spiritual strengths and weaknesses. People with more pronounced vulnerabilities who are blessed with an optimal environment may fair extremely well. People with relative strengths and very few vulnerabilities but who are challenged with a troubled environment may do very poorly. Environment in it's simplest sense is nourishment versus toxicity in the biochemical, social, psychological and spiritual realms.

The human metabolism is amazing. I just turned around and looked at a chart with every known human biochemical pathway and it's associated nutrient needs. I'm telling you, we are quite impressive!

One of the most critical functions in basic biochemistry is to produce energy. We have a very efficient "aerobic energy" potential and then we can also rely on a very inefficient "anaerobic" pathway just like a fungus. Cells which are more active need more energy. The cells which work the hardest will be hurt the most when deprived of energy. During embryonic development...the first and most likely thing to suffer is the brain!

Let's develop a theoretical boy. Let's say he has inherited a genetic problem in the activation of a B-vitamin, let's say Folic acid (Estimates suggest between 30-40% of the North American population has one such "SNIP" and it is associated with Cancer, all forms of cardiovascular disease, including heart attacks and stroke, diabetes, depression, anxiety...), then let's say his parents are smokers, so they are deprived of oxygen in utero, then let's say his mother has the same "SNIP" which has caused irregularities in her hormones which has increased her level of social stress causing adrenal gland exhaustion. Now the baby is born...and while only 3 days old a nurse sneaks in and gives a vaccine containing Thimerisol (MERCURY) which is a known neurotoxin. The vaccine may be important to prevent a disease that the neonate might get in his or her late 20's or 30's from sexual promiscuity or IV drug use.

Now maybe a neonate with more resiliance and fewer vulnerabilities would be fine....but this child....

Cells which are deprived of oxygen suffer hypoxia which in the Central nervous system can quickly create a neurotoxic state. Any reduction in aerobic energy production can induce "energy linked excitotoxicity and neurodegeneration". Remember we have a stressed out smoker mom. Stress induced vasoconstriction with relatively useless carbamino Hemoglobin caused by smoking reduces our theoretical boy's oxygen and nutrient delivery to his brain. The developing baby now has a considerable obstacle to his neurological development. The lower part of the brain, called the cerebellum, is EXTREMELY sensitive to hypoxia (low blood oxygen). A developmental delay in the cerebellum will be seen early in development as incoordination, unusual patterns of movement, early or late crawling or walking. Under very careful history taking, one of the most common developmental findings in people who are eventually labeled with ADD is motor (fine or postural) dysfunction. It may be shrugged off as being alittle clumbsy. Oh, by the way, the cerebellum fires very powerfully into the prefrontal cortex where the predominant "brain" findings in ADD are usually identified. Furthermore, it is the immense signaling from the cerebellum that actually drives the neurodevelopment of the frontal lobe in infancy and childhood. Kids talk AFTER they walk...for very important neurodevelopmental reasons! Science has proven that all learning must first activate the cerebellum and furthermore that the cerebellum is involved in thought. Most clinicians still believe the cerebellum is only responsible for co-ordinated movements. Actually it is the very strategies which we explore to link movements together which we later use to link thoughts into ideas!

There is some reasonable and scientifically tenable research that suggests the male fetus converts the mothers progesterone into fetal testosterone and uses this to rapidly increase the development of the right side of the brain. Indeed males have larger right brains. (I realize this comment could spawn a new thread)

Our child with the stressed out smoker mom may have been supplied insufficient Progesterone and ended up with a DEVELOPMENTAL DELAY effecting his brain. Indeed, in the third trimester, he probably was depleated of cortisol, a "stress" hormone, in utero, as his mother finally began feeling better (benefiting from the babies cortisol) in her third trimester. So now we realize he will be born with his own adrenal fatigue. This produces a colicy baby. A baby with trouble balancing blood sugar levels from the start. (OH, could this be one reason why sugar aggravates so many people with ADD) Also, the mother will likely suffer post-partum depression.

Wait a minute, isn't this mother socially challenged and stressed beyond belief?...Oh, well how is she going to handle a colicy baby boy? The early bonding moments of the neonates life set the stage for all autoregulation....for the rest of the person's life.....both in terms of influencing the autonomic nervous system....and social and emotional autoregulation....and approach withdrawal behavior....!!! If this little baby boy has his own fussy emotional interpretations, even the most responsive parents may be perceived as untrustworthy or even neglectful. Basic trust versus a foundation of abandonment are forged in ways such as this.

Anxiety is, at it's root, mistrust. This mistrust will impair intimate social relationships with people, create abnormal relationships with risk and even create a challenge to finding the deeper and intimate relationships with GOD.

ADD as a pin the diagnosis on the patient is usually associated with other conditions called co-morbidities, such as OCD, Tourettes, etcetera. Can you begin to see where the OCD comes in.

Fortunately, we know that activation in the central nervous system produces plasticity. Said more plainly, practice makes perfect, or use it or loose it. Deal with the basic trust issue psychospiritually, perform a fun and diverse variety of Go-No-Go tasks to induce plasticity in the frontopolar regions of the brain, and overcome the metabolic issues with simple vitamins and there you have it.

My point here is that there are very real and unique considerations in every individual. There are metabolic considerations which CAN be discovered through a variety of lab tests. You can find out if you are vulnerable to Mercury or not. You can find out if you have blood sugar dysregulation. You can find out if you have immune system or endocrine (glandular) dysregulation. You can find out if you have food allergies, you can find out if you have functional neurological deficits ....and you can correct all these issues and NEVER USE A DRUG!!!

Well...I believe since the liver is highly metabolically active it is very vulnerable to the kinds of metabolic problems which, people like me believe, are astonishingly common. Taking pharmaceuticals can challenge the liver and exploit vulnerabilities. This is precisely what is happening in people who experience drug "side effects" and explains precisely why others do not.

I recommend we all search out and make use of options which offer side benefits rather than side effects.

Gotta Go for now,
I hope my rant was intriguing and not too hard to follow.

Mom's, please understand that my example is not intended to blame you. I used a bunch of environmentally toxic examples. Mom's offer some of the most important opportunities for healing and wholeness and it is one of the highest callings in life. For your motherhood and it's accompanying sacrifices you are truly blessed.

Last edited by By_HIS_stripes; 07-31-2007 at 12:02 PM. Reason: mom edification

Old 07-31-2007, 11:55 AM   #8
Inactive
(female)

Jennita HB User

[-removed-]

Last edited by mod-anon; 08-01-2007 at 04:11 AM. Reason: Please respond in a supportive and respectful manner to other posters.

Old 08-01-2007, 04:45 AM   #9
Senior Veteran
(male)

addprogrammer HB Useraddprogrammer HB Useraddprogrammer HB Useraddprogrammer HB Useraddprogrammer HB Useraddprogrammer HB Useraddprogrammer HB Useraddprogrammer HB Useraddprogrammer HB Useraddprogrammer HB Useraddprogrammer HB User

Ways I find helpful to study:

Metronome - set frequency to level of detail required. For example, for highly technical stuff, I'll set my "Franz" electric in the 60 to 70 beats/minute range. For light reading, 70 to as high as 112. Experiment to find your best settings.

Study early AM rather than evenings.

Bob

Old 08-07-2007, 03:11 PM   #10
(male)

shmik1 HB User

In regards to classes, I found taking online classes to be helpful. To each their own and it could have been many variables. But, online courses might make things easier to manage.

Also, I found that white noise helps me focus (my girlfriend enjoys the water stream noise machine - I just leave it on all day). Complete silence doesn't work, but also anything that can distract me probably will. (this was before I was on Concerta).

I've also started reading a book on ADD.

Last edited by shmik1; 08-07-2007 at 03:12 PM.

Closed Thread