It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

ADD / ADHD Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-06-2007, 11:22 AM   #1
(male)

jmdombr HB User
Adderall XR??

Ok, sounds dumb, but I dont see my doctor for another 2 weeks and I have been taking XR and it is keeping me up at night despite taking it at 7:30 am when I wake up. I really dont need it to work in the evening as I just watch TV and do minor things.

I am trying to find out if I empty out the capsule and crush the beads up and put back in or chew it up, will it act as an immediate release or will it become ineffective? I read somewhere that if you crush adderall XR up it becomes ineffective to prevent abuse.. I may be wrong, but just curious. I really only need an immediate release version, which I will ask my doctor in a few weeks...

any input?

Last edited by jmdombr; 08-06-2007 at 01:59 PM.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 08-07-2007, 01:09 AM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

index.html HB User
Re: Adderall XR??

Don't do it! Tampering with an XR version to make it release more quickly could be very dangerous.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 08-07-2007, 03:50 PM   #3
(male)

shmik1 HB User
Re: Chewing Adderall XR??

Is it possible to call the doctor and ask what to do? I highly doubt anyone would suggest tampering with pills. IMO it would always be a bad idea to crush, chew, or empty out a pill.

Old 08-07-2007, 10:51 PM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)

rheanna HB Userrheanna HB User
Re: Chewing Adderall XR??

jmdombr,

A drug that is dispensed in capsule form rather than pill form is "packaged" that way for delivery purposes -- that is, it needs to survive long enough to get past the digestive juices of the stomach and get to the intestines before the contents are exposed. The manufacturers want your intestines to process the drug, not your stomach. I don't have experience with this particular drug, and it may indeed release more quickly as Index says, in which case if it keeps you awake when you are taking it correctly, then it'll really do a number on you if you release all of its stimulant properties at once. shmik1 gives good advice -- call the doctor or a pharmacist before you do anything like try to take the drug in a way that is not intended by the manufacturer.

--Rheanna

Closed Thread