It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

ADD / ADHD Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-19-2007, 12:23 AM   #1
(female)

jamiew22 HB User
Will Ritalin show up on a pre-employment drug test?

I recently took a pre-employment drug test for my brand new job and I was wondering if Ritalin will show up on the drug test at all? I would rather not share that I have adhd with my new employer if I don't have to. I know that amphetimines and methamphetamins will show up, so therefore that makes me a little nervous about the Ritalin (since it's methylphenidate) Does the drug test simply come back as possative or negative, or does it tell you which drug was found? Anyone have any information about all this? Thanks

Old 09-19-2007, 01:45 PM   #2
Facilitator
(female)

Titchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB User
Re: Will Ritalin show up on a pre-employment drug test?

They test for certain drugs. So whatever drugs your employer has requested tobe screened for, that's what the lab will do. There's no way to know unless you ask the lab or the employer.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 09-25-2007, 10:50 PM   #3
(male)

Czar1978 HB User

Titchou is correct. I would also add that Ritalin is not an amphetamine, it's a central nervous system stimulant. The usual SAMHSA drug test doesn't test for it that I know of. Adderall on the other hand is an amphetamine and would show up if you were taking a dose high enough.

I just took a pre-employment drug test today and I'm on 20mg of Adderall XR daily. I'll let you know if they say anything back.

BTW, if you are legally prescribed a medication that shows up on the test, you usually can show the pill bottle to prove you have a Rx for it. Most testing companies have a medical review officer in charge of determining if the result from the drug test is consistent the amount of the medication you're taking.

Hope that helps.

Old 09-29-2007, 06:29 PM   #4
(female)

jamiew22 HB User

Thanks guys! I am happy to report everything came back ok. My concern was that the ritalin would show up as an amphetamine- but apparantly it didn't. Thanks again!

Closed Thread