It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

ADD / ADHD Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-20-2007, 02:08 PM   #1
Inactive
(female)

kerriganfamily HB User
How much Fish Oil for a 12 year old with ADD

How much Fish Oil for a 12 year old with ADD

Old 10-22-2007, 11:45 PM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

rheanna HB Userrheanna HB User
Re: How much Fish Oil for a 12 year old with ADD

Fish oil is a recent recommendation for the treatment of ADD. The studies that I have seen are not done in a standard blind placebo-controlled manner (that is, I haven't seen any studies that have two matched groups of people, with one group geting the fish oils capsules and the other getting the placebo capsules, and then comparing the two groups with objective tests after a period of time). Therefore there is no way of knowing for sure that fish oil is appropriate for large numbers of people with ADD, and there is no official amount of fish oil that is recommended for the treatment of ADD.

Of course, fish oil is a good nutritional supplement for anyone who is not allergic to fish. It may or may not help your child with ADD symptoms.

--Rheanna

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 10-23-2007, 12:15 PM   #3
Inactive
(female)

Jennita HB User

University of South Australia researchers tested a combination of omega-3 fish oil and evening primrose oil (an omega-6) on 132 children with ADHD, ages seven to 12.

After the 30-week study, almost half the parents reported that their children's symptoms were improved. For the first 15 weeks of the study, the kids were divided into three groups. One group took the fish oil/primrose oil combination; the second took the same combination plus a multivitamin/mineral supplement and a third group took a placebo. For the second 15 weeks, the kids on the placebo got the fish oil/primrose oil combination plus the multivitamin/mineral as well.

The results was a 40-50 percent improvement in behavior for the two 30-week fish-oil groups, and a 30-40 percent improvement for the 15-week group.

Compared with results of studies of Ritalin and Concerta, they found that fish oils were more effective.

Fish oil and evening primrose oil have almost no side effects except some blood thinning, so avoiding other blood thinners would be the only thing to worry about. Couldn't hurt to try it before resorting to drugs....

Tutoring or Sylvan type centers have been mentioned by posters as a huge help too. Costly, yes, but so are doctors and drugs.

Last edited by Jennita; 10-23-2007 at 12:17 PM.

Old 10-23-2007, 04:09 PM   #4
(female)

CatGirl1975 HB User

I have never heard about this report about fish oil...Probably because I took myself out of the ADHD mainstream...I do things my way now..

I do have a question, is fish oil high in mercury? Thought kids were suppose to stay away from eating large amounts of fish? Or was that changed again by the FDA?

Old 10-26-2007, 12:40 PM   #5
Inactive
(female)

Jennita HB User

Hey there Catgirl! Now it's time to take yourself out of the FDA mainstream too! I suspect the big deal over fish is really a way to steer people away from it and more towards drugs, ever since it was found that fish oils are good for depression and ADD.

True, environmental mercury is a fact. But the FDA has way over-stated dangers to a point where people are avoiding all fish when actually there are only a few like swordfish, kingmacerel, tilefish and shark that actually have a large amount, about 1 ppm. The rest are very low, salmon has almost nothing at all(.01ppm), canned tuna, flounder, sole, pollack, cod and catfish are all extremely low as well. So it is very safe for kids to eat those types 3 times a week, just avoid the big ones.

Also, nature's bounty has a fish oil cap that is derived from salmon oil only, so that is no mercury worry at all.

Old 10-27-2007, 04:00 AM   #6
(female)

fineanddandy HB User

Some studies have been promising regarding the use of Omega 3's in treating ADHD, others have been less so. If you are concerned about the mercury content if fish (a valid concern, IMHO), you can take flaxseed oil.

<removed>

Last edited by mod-anon; 10-27-2007 at 10:30 AM. Reason: Please do not quote posting rules violations so that you are not also banned

Old 10-27-2007, 05:53 AM   #7
(female)

CatGirl1975 HB User

Wow, I am all confused about this fish oil..Let me just tell you why..

When I was pregnant with my daughter, not only did I crave tuna/can w/oil (I ate it almost everyday with pasta) my mother told me to chow down, that the oil could prevent birth defects..

After my daughter was born and she was old enough to eat regular food, I did make her this dish all the time. Plus she loved tuna on crackers...Always the oil kind..Then when she was around 3, I heard on the news that the fish oil in the can wasn't good on the news..So I switched to the water kind...Then they came out with the mercury info, and I really limited her tuna intake...

My daughter always had ADHD..Since she was an infant...I didn't know the "name" then nor did I have any other children to compare too.. I thought all babies screamed all day/night and never slept....

Anyways, I dunno..Like I said she has always ate tuna...I know diet does help alot with my daughter...Any kind of sugar or pop sends this kid to the moon for hours and hours....

Old 10-27-2007, 02:55 PM   #8
Inactive
(female)

Jennita HB User

Well, they say fish is brain food and you mentioned in other threads she is very smart and can figure out complicated things on her own.

Hmmm, here's a theory, maybe ADD behaviors are actually an indicator of the super intelligent and not a disease after all? Hey, it's my theory, I'm allowed to ponder the unknown since ADD is still in that unknown realm and is a theory.

Anyway, I think moderation isn't something not to consider in this fish issue. I wouldn't say eat it or take the caps every single day. A few times a week should provide enough. Or the flaxseed is a good idea along with other sources of omega 3's such as walnuts.

Old 10-27-2007, 03:12 PM   #9
(female)

CatGirl1975 HB User

Im with ya on that Jennita..We don't know enough about ADD, or even how the brain works..I agree on your theory, because my daughters father (I believe has ADHD) and other family members have tested genius on IQ test..I stated this before...

Anyways, we will still eat tuna...LOL....

Old 10-28-2007, 12:08 PM   #10
Inactive
(female)

Jennita HB User

Wow, you know, it just goes to show how different kids can be. My son had all the ADHD symptoms back in the 1980's before drugs were the norm, but he was the best baby ever! No kidding, slept through the night in just a couple of months, didn't excessively cry, etc.

I think a really cranky baby seems to be what psychiatry points to as ah-ha, the signs were there. I'm thinking alot of babies have different problems than others,unfortunately, without the development of speech, they can't tell us things like my foot hurts or I am scared so all they do is wail as a way of trying to deal. It is unbelievable to me that psychiatric disorder could be so confidentely applied to such things, but yes, I've heard not only do they point back in time to such things, but now they are trying to even look at babies present day for disorders, at least that's what an article I read suggested.

An article like that just leaves me

How long do we just sit and let this become the normal way of society? Sure, most of us won't buy it all but the longer it goes on, the more it is going to be accepted

Oh well, enjoy the tuna and did you know canned salmon is a wonderful alternative on sandwiches for variety?

Last edited by Jennita; 10-28-2007 at 12:09 PM.

Closed Thread