It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

ADD / ADHD Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-30-2007, 07:45 AM   #1
(female)

jaynecallen1970 HB User
Question Autistic Spectrum difficulties/ADHD?

My Son is 5 years old, he has been assessed by professionals and they say he shows signs of Autistic Spectrum Syndrome and possibly ADHD but due to him only being 5 they are reluctant to "label" his condition until he is older. I have two other children and the problems I have is with his violence. Where he is being diagnosed they are no help at all, they just say deal with it the best you can. He bites, headbutts, spits, swears and is so violent to both kids and adults that his behaviour is frightening. I just would like any advice possible to help deal with this dont think I can cope much more of it. Please help!!

Old 10-30-2007, 05:18 PM   #2
(female)

lunalu HB User
Re: Autistic Spectrum difficulties/ADHD?

I am so sorry to hear of your troubles with your son. I does seem to take forever to get a clear diagnosis. The autism spectrum disorder is exactly that a "spectrum" disorder and no two children are alike and the treatment can be different and different degrees depending on the child. ADHD often comes along with this disorder as well as many other possible combinations. You may have to trial and error different meds IF that is recommended until you get it to a comfortable level, that where you child is happy and productive. I am not a med Dr. and am only speaking from my experience <removed>. Here are a couple of ideas to help get you through. 1. Seek family counseling. 2. Your child may be very sensitive to sensory input. Lower the lights during his tantrum times, no loud noises, TV blaring or music. A bean bag chair and lots of gross motor activity can be extremely helpful. I have one child 5 yrs. that carries loads of paper for me and stacks chairs at the end of the day. This keeps his hands busy and mind occupied. If your child is in a public school you probably have special ed folk around. Go ahead and make the call. The occupational therapist may be helpful with the sensory needs area. Speak to whom ever has the most experience with autism. I would just say, "Hey, I'm a parent in trouble, please give me some advice." Know that they can not legally serve your child without an IEP, but you're just asking for a little advice, please. I can't imagine a special ed teacher not reaching out to you. You can also call the school district and get someone's name to call. It may take some time, but it will getbetter. Let me know how it goes.

Last edited by mod-anon; 10-30-2007 at 10:13 PM. Reason: peer sharing only

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 11-08-2007, 08:39 AM   #3
(female)

jaynecallen1970 HB User
Re: Autistic Spectrum difficulties/ADHD?

Thank you for your reply. I have only just picked up your reply today but will try your suggestions and let you know how it goes. Jayne x

Closed Thread