It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

ADD / ADHD Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-04-2007, 02:55 AM   #1
(female)

tobyfezzick HB User
how do you know if you need a higher dose of adderall?

I am currently taking a 10mg dose of adderall XR once a day. I just got diagnosed and have only been on the medicine for 1 month. My doctor told me to take it when I wake up before I go to classes in the morning so around 9 or 10 am. But by 2 or 3 pm I don't feel the effect of the drug anymore and so it is great for class but when I study later at night or even perform daily activities like watching tv, talking with friends, etc. I still have to deal with the same ADHD symtoms I always have. Could this mean I need to be on a higher dose?!?! It is my understanding that 10mg once a day is somewhat low. And how to I go about talking to my doctor about this without sounding like some kind of addict?!

Last edited by tobyfezzick; 12-04-2007 at 02:57 AM. Reason: mispellings

Old 12-04-2007, 05:49 AM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

janewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB User
Re: how do you know if you need a higher dose of adderall?

Just tell him what the problem is. Don't say you need more, just say that the way you are taking it now helps you in the morning but not in the afternoon or evening.

However, two things occur to me. One is that I have a lot of trouble sleeping if I take my meds late enough in the day that they are still working in the evening. The other is that you are taking an XR. How long is that supposed to last? I'm not sure.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 12-04-2007, 01:07 PM   #3
Senior Veteran
(male)

addprogrammer HB Useraddprogrammer HB Useraddprogrammer HB Useraddprogrammer HB Useraddprogrammer HB Useraddprogrammer HB Useraddprogrammer HB Useraddprogrammer HB Useraddprogrammer HB Useraddprogrammer HB Useraddprogrammer HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by janewhite1 View Post
How long is that supposed to last? I'm not sure.
Jane,

I had my shrink appt. a couple days back and we talked about real time efficacy from all XR formulations.

I got me a good pdoc. He lives in the real world. Ain't that something.

Doc says: Those that actually get efficacy times claimed: 5%. He was using the usual 12 hour figure most pharmaceuticals advertise. Most get 6 to 7 hours.

I asked if adults do better than children. He says "its across the board." That surprised me because my assumption was children get claimed times whereas adults didn't.

Toby,

Make real sure you follow Jane's directive to simply tell doc what you experience and DO NOT ask for more.

Bob

Old 12-06-2007, 05:16 PM   #4
(female)

frazzledparent HB User

My daughter switched from Strattera to Adderall a few months back. She started on 10mg per day for a few days and then jumped to 30mg. When she saw the doctor a month later the doc thought she was kind of "revved up" so she knocked the dosage down to 20mg per day. After one month of that my daughter, too, felt that her concentration levels weren't being maintained. She simply explained that to the doc and she's back to 30mg.

Old 12-10-2007, 06:47 PM   #5
Inactive
(female)

mcr285 HB Usermcr285 HB User

you might try switching to regular adderall and take it twice a day instead of XR. i have yet to hear a real success story on adderall XR! the twice a day dose will guarantee you have your second dose for studying.... as long as you remember to take it! i've been on twice a day doses for about 10 years or so and it's always worked great for me! i take a 20 mg pill in the morning first thing, and then 10 mgs in the afternoon.

it might not be that you need a higher dose, you might just be metabolizing it a lot faster than the average person would. good luck!

Closed Thread