It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

ADD / ADHD Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-07-2008, 04:27 PM   #1
(male)

ostrich HB User
Ritalin and anxiety attacks?

For the most part when I take Ritalin, I'm fine. I can focus, I feel more confident in my abilities, and I'm more ambitious. However, I always get an anxiety attack or two. I only take one 20 mg pill a day and about 30 mins to an hour in, I start gagging and feel like throwing up. I call it an anxiety attack, but I dont really know what it is. Mentally, I dont start freaking out or anything. My body just has this strange physical reaction, I think when it first starts absorbing the medication. Has anybody else experienced this? Any explanation for it? It can be embarrassing when I'm around people because I'll suddenly stop mid-sentence or walking, and just dry heave repeatedly for about a minute until I stop, and then I go back to being normal.

Old 02-07-2008, 05:42 PM   #2
Senior Veteran
(male)

addprogrammer HB Useraddprogrammer HB Useraddprogrammer HB Useraddprogrammer HB Useraddprogrammer HB Useraddprogrammer HB Useraddprogrammer HB Useraddprogrammer HB Useraddprogrammer HB Useraddprogrammer HB Useraddprogrammer HB User
Re: Ritalin and anxiety attacks?

ostrich,

You may be able to avoid your "attacks" by splitting the pill. Take one half, then about an hour later take the other.

Better yet, ask doc for 4 5mg tabs daily. Take one every hour.

If taking 4 pills incrementally works but is too much bother, ask for a extended release version such as Concerta.

I'm almost sure your problem stems from too much stimulant hitting your CNS at once.

Bob

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 02-09-2008, 01:09 AM   #3
Inactive
(male)

whitejerry HB User

Actually I have had the same problem before and I have a question for you, do you smoke? Or do you live with a smoker? Because every time I have what you describe as a panic attack its because im in the cold, smoking, while on my ADD meds. What I'd recommend if you are a smoke, is to only smoke half of it, then put it out, that seemed to work with me.

Old 02-13-2008, 09:59 AM   #4
(male)

ostrich HB User

Hey guys, thanks for the responses. Sorry, was out of town the last few days. Funny that you should recommend splitting the pill Jerry, because I did that and 10 mg at a time seems to work better, although it's still 50/50 whether I get an attack, but when I do, it's not as severe. No, I don't smoke, but I do think it's worse when I'm in the cold. I already have this chronic condition that comes back every winter where I start dry heaving/gagging when I'm suddenly out in the cold, especially after eating. So I would get those attacks once in a while...but with Ritalin, it was almost guaranteed after taking 20 mg.

Old 02-14-2008, 01:46 AM   #5
Senior Veteran
(female)

index.html HB User

This may sound obvious, but be sure you are taking your Ritalin with food. Sounds like it is upsetting your stomach.

Closed Thread