It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

ADD / ADHD Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-07-2008, 03:42 PM   #1
Veteran
(female)

cram315 HB User
Concerta vs adderall

Adderall just stopped working after five months. I was so scattered and unfocused. I couldn't up the doseage because it made me witchy.

My doctor put me on concerta, it says take one as needed. What does that mean? They are 27 mg. I was taking 20 mg adderall, tried to up to 30 and no good.

What is the difference? What dose are you on? Does it interfere with your sleep?

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 03-08-2008, 07:58 AM   #2
Senior Veteran
(male)

addprogrammer HB Useraddprogrammer HB Useraddprogrammer HB Useraddprogrammer HB Useraddprogrammer HB Useraddprogrammer HB Useraddprogrammer HB Useraddprogrammer HB Useraddprogrammer HB Useraddprogrammer HB Useraddprogrammer HB User
Re: Concerta vs adderall

cram,

There could be other factors that make it appear your Adderall is quiting on you.

I've been on Ritalin for I don't know how long now. Today, I can't focus, I should be working rather than doing this post, but can't get myself to focus which makes the second time I said I can't focus. Oh, I took my Rit.

The real problem is I AM TIRED. I am suppose to have today off. Neither Rit or Add can manage fatigue for any length of time. The fatigue always wins with a vengence in the long run. And upping the dose ups the vengence with which the fatigue returns.

[My boss just called and got me focused, but I'll finish this first]

Fatigue may or may not be your problem. It could be drug tolerance. Tolerance for most takes several years. You could be an exception. But you owe to yourself to consider other reasons. Why? Cause if Adderall pooped out on you, it is unlikely Concerta will pick up the slack.

Finally, med management is very difficult because we all respond uniquely making it impossible to come up with standard. So, before doing anything, see if the Concerta works for you. Give it a week or two.

Bob
PS Re: "Cram" Good handle. It's how I end up in these predicaments.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 03-08-2008, 12:56 PM   #3
Senior Veteran
(female)

index.html HB User

Cram,

Concerta is a long-acting formulation of methylphenidate (which is Ritalin). "Take one as needed" is an odd way to prescribe it. It's normally prescribed as one in the morning. It's best to take it first thing in the morning so that it is less likely to interfere with your sleep.

Generally speaking, methylphenidate is thought to be less strong than Adderall. BUT, if you can tolerate a higher dose of it than Adderall, it may end up being more effective for you.

One other difference that you *may* find is that the let-down from Concerta is smoother than that of Adderall.

Old 03-09-2008, 07:00 AM   #4
Veteran
(female)

cram315 HB User

I actually like concerta better. Its like I am not taking anything at all except I noticed the symptoms that I had with adderall are gone! I was so stressed and angry on adderall, that after awhile my body just was tired fighting all the time. The fatigue makes sense but it was caused from the stress.

I just didn't know if 27 mg was a low does of concerta or how other people where prescribed it. I take one in am.

Stay focused and keep your heads out of the fog !!!

Old 03-09-2008, 12:49 PM   #5
Senior Veteran
(male)

addprogrammer HB Useraddprogrammer HB Useraddprogrammer HB Useraddprogrammer HB Useraddprogrammer HB Useraddprogrammer HB Useraddprogrammer HB Useraddprogrammer HB Useraddprogrammer HB Useraddprogrammer HB Useraddprogrammer HB User

Cram,

We can add your case to my case in the TooMuchStimulantProblems container.

Wonder how many other cases can be added? If heard of very few doctors lowering dose after patient reports problems. Seems like "a little more should do it" is standard practice.

I very happy for you.

And I'll try hard to stay out of the fog. That's been goal whole life.

Bob

Old 03-09-2008, 02:55 PM   #6
Veteran
(female)

cram315 HB User

Add- my pdoc was trying to treat depression when he had me take a ADHD quiz. I don't feel "stimulated", I feel like "oh this is what normal feels like". After trying adderall, my head wasn't in a fog and my thoughts were quick. I wasn't fighting to grasp or maintain thoughts.

I didn't get addicted on adderall. I have no idea what coming off symptoms are do you? I also didn't lose a pound (don't know if thats good or bad, lol) What are you on?

Closed Thread