It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

ADD / ADHD Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-23-2008, 07:56 PM   #1
(female)

singerja1999 HB User
Help With Adult Add

Hello Everyone,
I too have ADD. I am not taking anything and right now I wish I were. I find that I have good times and bad times. Right now, is a difficult time for me. My brain is going so very fast and concentration is so very hard. I also find that when I do have these difficult times that I become very anxious. Then for awhile I will go along and even though my concentration is not the best I will be at peace and calm. It is something I work at constantly.
I had to have a memory test about 4 years ago. It was AWFUL. The doctor wasn't very animated and I just couldn't pay attention for the life of me. I am thinking that maybe I should consider taking something for it but I have heard that the medicine has bad side effects.
I just needed to share my story with you all. Any ideas would be appreciated. Thanks and God bless. Jackie

Last edited by mod-anon; 03-23-2008 at 10:44 PM. Reason: starting a new thread with this post.

The following user gives a hug of support to singerja1999:
joecityrobin (02-23-2011)
Old 03-24-2008, 06:28 AM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

janewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB User
Re: Help With Adult Add

Have you been diagnosed with Add by a professional? If no, that's your first step.

If so, maybe you should consider medication. Yes, there are side effects, and you may need to try a few drugs before you find one that works and doesn't cause intolerable side effects. You absolutely want the smallest effective dose--which can vary a lot from person to person.

Find a psychiatrist who deals with ADHD, and take it from there.

Once the meds are working for you, (if they do) then it might be time to consider learning more study/organizational/concentration skills. In a way, the meds can help you learn what focusing is like. Consider an ADHD coach.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 03-24-2008, 06:11 PM   #3
(female)

Lizzie62 HB User

I also have adult ADD and take Adderall. A good diagnosis is your first step. Hopefully meds will help you. I have to say I tried Ritalin first and it was awful! I was so miserable and moody I couldn't stand myself (I am normally cheerful and happy-go-lucky)!
So yes there is help. Adderall does work for me.
Good luck!

"Life is Beautiful" Sixx:AM

Old 04-08-2008, 06:32 AM   #4
(male)

n2gravely HB User

I too have ADD and on top of that have RSD. I take Lyrica, Topomax, Cymbalta, Methadone and Oxycodone which all makes me drowsy and intisifies I think the ADD. I take Adderall 30mg once a day. Even before I was injured I had ADD and now it's worse but I do ALOT of memorizing lectures in my Masonic work at the age of 48. I can definitely tell the difference and it HELPS me. You just have to find what works for you and stay with it. DON'T give up and don't get discouraged or depressed. There is light at the end of the tunnel!!! It can ALWAYS be worse! Take Care!

Old 04-13-2008, 10:27 PM   #5
(male)

hence42 HB User

I was diagnosed with Adult ADD 4 years ago - the number 1 thing I would do is get a professional diagnosis. Then "1A" is your own research, I found that my perception of the disorder was totally different that the actual "definition." Go to your local library and find books on the subject. "Driven to Distraction" is one of the first and is very insightful, especially from a “historical” standpoint. There are a few more contemporary books that are available as well. Search periodical archives: Time magazine has good articles in their archives. Find information online that involve studies, especially those in other countries. They look at alternative solutions more than American medicine. Your Dr. can help you with the medication information.

As you will see with post on this website; their is no "magic pill." I find that exercise, environment, light therapy, sleep patterns and diet all seemed to be a part of having a good day or bad day for me. So educate yourself and listen to your own mind and body.

Last edited by hence42; 04-13-2008 at 10:40 PM. Reason: clarity

Closed Thread