It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

ADD / ADHD Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-29-2008, 04:53 PM   #1
(male)

socrates61 HB User
Angry Adderrall - Cost w/o Insurance?

I am running out of Adderall; my Health Insurance/COBRA expired and I am wondering what to expect in terms of the price increase without insurance. My Effexor ran out, it is VERY unpleasant in terms of withdrawal, but the increase from $65 to $1700 for a one hundred day supply made me laugh...to keep from crying or checking out.

Seriously, though, I would appreciate any information or resources that might get me to the answer...without calling Kaiser and dealing with that whole mess. Moreover, I am feeling volitile and think person to person interaction is best avoided for now. I am convinced that ADHD was the more important diagnosis between it and depression.

In other words, my coping mechanisms with school and work held out until marriage, law school, children, in-laws and myriad other environmental factors outstripped my customary coping strategies. Its a pity that at 46 yrs old, it was not diagnosed ADHD until two years ago....after ten years of unsuccessful treatments (mainly SSRI's) for depression.

Adderrall has been as effective in my "fitting in" / recovery, as my glasses are/have been in correcting my nearsightedness.

I wish I could say the same of the long string of anti-depressants I took for the last twelve years.

INCIDENTALLY, no matter how well-meaning, I HOPE parents will consider the risk of major depression to ADHD kids whom you choose NOT to medicate. I am a teacher (high school) and know first hand the groping, stigma, frustration and despair that a person experiences when he/she does not fit the Procrustean Bed of our Social Order and institutions. Add in a little misplaced blame/shame from the pious folks from the Religious realm....and......I am sure you get it.

[/B]

Last edited by socrates61; 03-29-2008 at 04:54 PM.

The Following User Says Thank You to socrates61 For This Useful Post:
asmithnco (04-25-2012)
Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 03-29-2008, 08:43 PM   #2
Senior Veteran
(male)

addprogrammer HB Useraddprogrammer HB Useraddprogrammer HB Useraddprogrammer HB Useraddprogrammer HB Useraddprogrammer HB Useraddprogrammer HB Useraddprogrammer HB Useraddprogrammer HB Useraddprogrammer HB Useraddprogrammer HB User
Re: Adderrall - Cost w/o Insurance?

Socrates,

Generic Adderall runs about 60 clams at Walmart. Walmart (in PA) beats everyone on prescription drug prices. And, this week, they're having a special on Hemlock Extract.

Hmn, bad joke.

No joke: I got dxed at 53.

If you were getting XR, get the generic and take it twice a day. Same diff.

Bob

Old 04-05-2008, 06:27 PM   #3
(male)

Dan2008 HB User

I pay about $110 at Wal-Mart for Adderall XR, I believe actual cost is about $130. I get a $10 or 20 discount through my insurance and I am also reimbursed a portion of the $110 as well. Have you looked into purchasing individual health insurance, 1 year ago I quit my job to go to college. I found purchasing individual health insurance a lot cheaper then cobra.

Old 04-10-2008, 07:23 PM   #4
(male)

JeffVa HB User

Go with generic Adderall. You can get generic Adderall at Costco for dirt cheap without insurance. I called my local Costco and was quoted $34 for 90 tablets of Adderall 10mg. Not bad at all. Plus anyone can use the pharmacy at Costco, you don't have to be a member of the warehouse.

Jeff

Old 04-12-2008, 03:08 PM   #5
(female)

Wallace777 HB User

A word of caution on generic Adderall, Iíve been using the 20mg generic for several years with no problems, but recently my pharmacy switched to a generic manufactured by Barr (angry pill) and wow did it cause me problems.

Anger, frustration, anger, anxiety, irritable, anger, agitated and did I mention how angry it made me feel. It was a nightmare, as was going back to the doc for a new script and then paying for new meds all in the same month. To top it all off, I had to drive to another town to pick up my new script, because the chain pharmacy in my town, no longer carries the one I need to take and it would take a couple of weeks to get it if they special ordered it. Guess how that made me feel? ANGRY!

I googled the angry pills and discovered Iím not alone. Lots of chatter out in cyberspace about the angry pill side affects and the fact that they are sort of taking over the market. Many people reported having trouble locating their old generic.

So my advice is to have a careful discussion with your doctor about trying out generics, and see if you can get two scripts each for two week supply, hopefully you find a med that works for you.

Good luck,
Wally
(not angry anymore)

Old 04-30-2008, 02:05 PM   #6
(female)

Loubiegirl24 HB User

For Adderall XR I can CONFIRM that it is up to $130 for a 30 day supply. When I first started taking it, about 4 years ago, a month's supply was $90. It has steadily risen since then.
Even though I hate my job with a passion I didnt realize I possessed, I still thank God for my insurance every time I go to the pharmacy and my adderall is only $30.

Old 04-30-2008, 03:01 PM   #7
Senior Veteran
(female)

janewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB User

Ever try ordinary generic dextro-amphetamine? It's a lot more affordable. It's not quite the same thing, though, Adderall is a mix of that and levo-amphetamine

Old 04-30-2008, 05:42 PM   #8
Senior Veteran
(male)

addprogrammer HB Useraddprogrammer HB Useraddprogrammer HB Useraddprogrammer HB Useraddprogrammer HB Useraddprogrammer HB Useraddprogrammer HB Useraddprogrammer HB Useraddprogrammer HB Useraddprogrammer HB Useraddprogrammer HB User

Jane,

U.S. doctors got this thing about Dexedrine. Very few are willing to prescribe it. If "right here" is Canada you might not be aware of that. Actually, Adderall contains 4 amphetamine salts. My cynical old brain thinks three of those salts are there to give the d-amphetamine a certain nastiness so no one will abuse Adderall. That "certain nastiness" is how Adderall got itself banned in Canada for awhile. Too bad the extra three salts did nada to reduce Adderall abuse. Well, now they got Vyvanse, dextroamphetamine wrapped yet another way. Vyvanse supposedly can't be abused but somehow got itself a Schedule II rating anyway.

One thing for sure: Shire gets about 2 hundred for a month's worth of Dexedrine wrapped as Vyvanse while all the other guys only get about 50 bucks for the same thing less the wrapper not to mention they can't get doctors to prescribe their much lower cost product. Packaging works wonders, does it not? They should put a pink bow on Women's Vyvanse and a blue bow on Vyvanse for men. Hell, that should get'em another 50 clams min-a-num.

LoubieGirl,

Shire is upping the tab on Adderall XR to get doctors to prescribe Vyvanse because Shire's exclusive on XR is about to expire.

If you can get Dexedrine, do it.

Bob

Old 04-30-2008, 06:15 PM   #9
Senior Veteran
(female)

janewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB User

Nope, I'm in the US. My shrink will prescribe whatever his patients need. Though he won't take insurance.

BUT, filling the dex prescription? That's special. At one point, I went to 6 pharmacies. The first five said, we don't have any, go somewhere else. Number 6 (a family owned non-chain place) said, I'll order it for you.

Guess who's had my business ever since?

Closed Thread