It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

ADD / ADHD Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-12-2008, 05:33 AM   #1
(female)

justtortuga HB User
Question about refills?

Hi - I was wondering if anyone knows what i should do. I have adult ADHD and have been on adderall 30 mg / twice a day for about 5 years now. I recently graduated from school and my health insurance with Kaiser ran out (i was still on my family's plan) and since i don't make enough money at my job right now i am unable to afford to renew my health insurance on my own. So the plan was to restart my insurance in the fall when I start attending grad school, since i will be a student again i will be able to afford insurance. However, i have gone since December without my prescription and it's causing a huge negative effect on pretty much everything in my life. I would really like to be able to renew my old prescription, even if it means paying a lot more - just to get me through til August. However, anyone who has been prescribed adderall probably knows that on the prescription label it always says "0 refills left" because the doctor wants to re-approve the refill each month. So my question is, is there anyway that i can refill a legitimate prescription for adderall without health insurance? I don't know if my doctor at Kaiser can ok a refill if i am not technically a Kaiser patient anymore. Any help of information would be really appreciated. Thank you!

Old 05-12-2008, 07:45 AM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

janewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB User
Re: Question about refills?

There are no refills for that drug, ever, because it is a controlled substance. It's the law.

If you call the doctor, you can probably get in to see him, though you will have to pay cash for the visit. Try to negotiate a good price in advance. Once you have the prescription, shop around for a pharmacy that will refill it at the lowest price.

Last edited by janewhite1; 05-12-2008 at 07:46 AM.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 05-19-2008, 03:59 AM   #3
(male)

holdst HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by justtortuga View Post
Hi - I was wondering if anyone knows what i should do. I have adult ADHD and have been on adderall 30 mg / twice a day for about 5 years now. I recently graduated from school and my health insurance with Kaiser ran out (i was still on my family's plan) and since i don't make enough money at my job right now i am unable to afford to renew my health insurance on my own. So the plan was to restart my insurance in the fall when I start attending grad school, since i will be a student again i will be able to afford insurance. However, i have gone since December without my prescription and it's causing a huge negative effect on pretty much everything in my life. I would really like to be able to renew my old prescription, even if it means paying a lot more - just to get me through til August. However, anyone who has been prescribed adderall probably knows that on the prescription label it always says "0 refills left" because the doctor wants to re-approve the refill each month. So my question is, is there anyway that i can refill a legitimate prescription for adderall without health insurance? I don't know if my doctor at Kaiser can ok a refill if i am not technically a Kaiser patient anymore. Any help of information would be really appreciated. Thank you!
My Psychiatrist actually mails me refills for two months after I see him, so, essentially, I pay once for three months worth of medication, which is so cheap I don't have to bother with insurance.

Many psychiatrists are willing to do that, but I guess it is up to them.

Old 07-05-2008, 03:33 AM   #4
(female)

JustAGirl28 HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by holdst View Post
My Psychiatrist actually mails me refills for two months after I see him, so, essentially, I pay once for three months worth of medication, which is so cheap I don't have to bother with insurance.

Same here. My doc sees me once every 4 months and writes me postdated scripts, and I pay only one time. Saves a lot of money in the long run...

Old 07-08-2008, 01:06 PM   #5
(male)

gregar HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by holdst View Post

My doctor does it a little differently and I know this doesn't help justtortuga but maybe in the future when they get insurance again it could help. I see my doctor every 2.5 months and he gives me a prescription for 3 months worth at a time. I mail it into Medco and my insurance pays for 3 months at a time and then Medco mails my medication to me. And the price for getting it 3 months at a time though the mail is just a little over what one month would cost me locally from a pharmacy.

justtortuga, you will need to see your doctor to get the prescription refilled, no question about that, sorry but they have to see you for this type of medication.

Last edited by gregar; 07-08-2008 at 01:08 PM.

Closed Thread