It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

ADD / ADHD Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-16-2008, 12:34 PM   #1
(female)

Nichole87 HB User
Can Add get worse over time? If so, what causes it?

Hello,
I'm 21 years old and I've think I've gotten worse since my mid teens.
My attention is horrible, My memory is worse, I have a small vocabulary, I have trouble talking, I'm also really slow. Since I wasn't always like this I assumed this wasn't ADD but some kind of brain damage that occured in my teens.
Can ADD get worse as you get older and is this caused from some kind of brain damage or is it somthing else?
Also, having a small vocabulary, and being slow to understand things doesn't really seem like an ADD symptom does it?

Any information would be appreciated!
Thanks

Last edited by Nichole87; 07-16-2008 at 12:37 PM.

Old 07-16-2008, 02:46 PM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

janewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB User
Re: Can Add get worse over time? If so, what causes it?

ADD kind of "is what it is." You are born with a certain amount of ADD in your brain, and that's that. However, circumstances can make the symptoms better or worse. Being under stress can make it better in the short run, worse in the long run. Having outside structure, like school, can make it easier to do things.

You say you have a small vocabulary and trouble talking? And you could speak better when you were younger? I would ask a neurologist about that, as soon as you can. That is not an ADD thing at all.

Edit: I looked at some of your other posts. Have you had a WISC test or something similar? This is a test, hours long, that involves reading, writing, listening, speaking, drawing, and looking at pictures. The results tell you about how your brain works. You can't do it over the internet, you need to get it from someone trained to administer it.

Last edited by janewhite1; 07-16-2008 at 02:53 PM. Reason: add stuff

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 07-16-2008, 06:09 PM   #3
(female)

Nichole87 HB User

Hi Jane,
Thanks for replying. No I haven't had a WISC test. Do you know how they usually cost? Would it be able to tell me if I have ADD or a have a low IQ?
Sorry for all the questions!

Old 07-16-2008, 06:19 PM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)

janewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB User

It cost me about $1000 to get mine done. The score total does measure IQ, but the sub-scores tell you what your brain does well and poorly. It can tell you if you have a learning disability, it can usually identify ADD also.

Old 07-16-2008, 08:29 PM   #5
(female)

Nichole87 HB User

This sounds really good. Does it matter if I'm not good at taking tests?

Old 07-17-2008, 06:24 AM   #6
Senior Veteran
(female)

Well, that would depend on the reason you're not good at taking tests. If it's anxiety, I'm not sure, although the different format might help. If it's because you aren't good at reading or at understand what's asked, this test should help figure that out.

Old 07-17-2008, 09:15 AM   #7
(female)

Nichole87 HB User

Thank you Jane!

Old 07-17-2008, 09:24 AM   #8
Senior Veteran
(female)

index.html HB User

I agree with Jane that you should have a through exam. You don't want to limit the evaluation to ADD, you want it to look for other potential disorders, too.

However, I do think severe ADD can cause a small vocabulary. If you couldn't pay attention when those words were taught in school, how could you learn them? Also, if you can't pay attention, how can you learn things quickly?

From your posts, I don't think you have a low IQ. However, have it tested. I also think you want to have your central auditory processing skills looked at. Central Auditory Processing Disorder is a real possibility for you. You might want to research it on the internet. CAPD isn't about whether or not you can hear. It's about what your brain does with information that you hear. It often goes hand-in-hand with ADD (and there are those who believe that CAPD and ADD are actually the same thing).

ADD doesn't get worse over time. However, it's possible that you first noticed in your teens and it seems worse because that's when it starting making your life more difficult. Our teen years are also when we usually first notice that we are different from other people. For instance, kids who are abused often don't realize that what happens in their house doesn't happen in other houses until they are in their teens.

Get a thorough evaluation. Let us know what you find out!

Old 08-05-2008, 12:52 AM   #9
(female)

Nichole87 HB User

Thanks Index! I've never heard of that disorder. I have an appointment thursday for some testing. I will ask about this.
Thanks again both of you

Old 08-08-2008, 10:17 AM   #10
(female)

crazyfreak HB User

mine got worse as i got older, had children and was untreated. I believe females CAN get much worse as having kids throws all your body chemistry outta wack. My doc said its not uncommon.

Old 08-30-2008, 08:51 PM   #11
(female)

Nichole87 HB User

Thanks for that information Crazyfreak!

I took the the Phyc. test. the week before last and now I'm just waiting for the phyciatrist's report. I'm really nervous for the results. I feel like my future depends on them. I took an IQ test when I was 16 years old and I was told I scored in the mildely retarded, then I took another one at 18, and scored higher but still below average, She gave me some good feed back though.

Closed Thread