It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

ADD / ADHD Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-17-2008, 03:41 PM   #1
(female)

allyson86 HB User
how much is too much adderall

how much is too much adderall. I take 2 20 mg in am. 1 20 mg at lunch and 2 20mg in evening. but i have also been on it for around 15 years. so i take 100 mg a day

Old 07-18-2008, 12:37 PM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

index.html HB User
Re: how much is too much adderall

The dose you are taking far exceeds the recommended maximum dose. I'm curious. Is this the amount your doctor prescribed or are you taking a little extra?

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 07-20-2008, 09:12 PM   #3
(female)

JustAGirl28 HB User

How much is too much Adderall? Well, I am on 240 mg of Adderall per day - as prescribed by my doctor. You read it correctly, that is (8) 30 mg pills per day. Yes, I am well aware of the recommended dosage guidelines, but remember that those are only guidelines. This maximum dosage is not written in stone, so to speak. The problem with this recommended maximum dosage is that it does not take into account other variables. I'm trying to say that the 'recommended' maximum dosage of Adderall is more or less an arbitrary figure which is applied across the board, without taking other variables into consideration. It is a given value, and that's that. Well, the problem is that it doesn't apply to everyone. That is what makes it strictly a 'guideline' and not a rule that must be adhered to in each and every case. Something that many people are not aware of is that the maximum dosage can also be determined by a simple formula which uses body weight as one of the variables. Thus, if a person is on the heavy side, the commonly used maximum recommended daily dosage no longer applies in many instances (not necessarily interpreted as being fat or obese because someone's height may contribute to a larger body mass and that persons weight may still be proportional to the rest of the body). In cases like this, the formula which uses body weight to determine daily dosing is often used by health professionals. Also, take into consideration that everyone is different. Therefore, each drug will have different reaction on each person, and those can vary quite widely. In the case of Adderall, one person may find that a daily dose of 40 mg is sufficient. Yet, another person may need 60, 80, 100 or more mg per day to achieve the same results. Yet, one other person may find that 10 mg a day is right for them.
One last factor to consider is the issue of drug tolerance. It is quite common with this type of drug for an individual to develop a tolerance toward the drug. Of course - when beginning treatment, the dosage is normally started at a minimal level, and gradually titrated to a daily dosage which is suitable, and effective for that particular individual. However, over time - a person will often develop a tolerance to the drug. In that case, the dosage must be gradually increased until the optimal results are yet once again achieved from the drug. Unfortunately, this cycle can repeat itself once, twice, or many times during the course of a persons treatment. It depends on the person.

Note: I do not have any medical training. Therefore, everything I just stated is merely MY understanding of this drug, and is NOT intended in any way to be taken as medical advice. It is my opinion, and nothing more than that. For medical advice, please seek the services of a qualified medical professional.

Last edited by JustAGirl28; 07-20-2008 at 09:15 PM.

The Following User Says Thank You to JustAGirl28 For This Useful Post:
yolytroconis (05-26-2012)
Old 07-20-2008, 11:42 PM   #4
Inactive
(male)

missingyou HB Usermissingyou HB User

those doses seem to be pretty high, is the MG compareable to that of dexedrin? I know when I first started on dex 2, 5 mg pills was more then enough and I ended up working my way up to 7, 5mg pills per day.keep in mind I'm 180lbs . A few medical professionals thought I was abusing dexedrin only taking 35mgs per day. Maybe because I got a bit of a boost before my weight liftings sessions lol?

Your points about bodymass, tolerance and everybody reacting different all quite true. Still 100mgs seems like alot to me and 240mg's seems extremely high.

Closed Thread