It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

ADD / ADHD Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-21-2008, 08:31 PM   #1
Senior Veteran
(female)

janewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB User
Extreme anger blood sugar reactions?

Thunor, I know you mentioned this is an issue for you, too.

I've known for a while that I get cranky when hungry, sometimes to the point of doing something I regret or having to simply and walk away to avoid doing something I'll regret. A few days ago, I had an explosive-anger incident that I'm trying to sort out and not repeat.

I was going on a long drive, and didn't have much chance to stop and eat until we got out past the traffic. I hate traffic, it stresses me out, and I always feel like if I were clever enough, I could avoid it.

Also, I'd started my period about 24 hours before, and it both makes me a little cranky and kills my appetite due to cramps. There is absolutely nothing I can take for the cramps any more, Advil used to work like a dream, now if I take it I could bleed to death.

Finally I stopped for food about 3 pm, after not eating much for 24 hours. I wasn't really aware of being particularly hungry, but once I actually took a bite? I resented the fact that eating was going to take time. I was literally so hungry I didn't want to eat, didn't want to enjoy the taste of food, I just wanted all the food to teleport into my belly instantly. So, I ate. And ate and ate. 7-layer burrito from Taco bell, hardly a drop in the bucket. Half a box of Triscuits, (mmm, whole grains and salt...) three chocolate cookies. Just thinking about how hungry I was then, I had to interrupt typing to get a snack.

A couple hours after that, probably still in calorie deficit. I get there, and things are confusing. I have to go in circles for about 10 minutes before I get a straight answer as to what I'm supposed to do next.

I was near to tearing people apart for being so stupid and obstructionist. What was the matter with them, why didn't anyone know what was going on? How dare they?

Get that sorted out. Get dinner, mainly large piece of fish.

Return. Another problem. Another episode of anger, this one resulting in me biting an innocuous object.

There's one thing that doesn't make sense. It's well established that low blood sugar can cause irritability and impaired judgement, BUT, only below about 60, and sugar that low also causes physical symptoms. I never get physical symptoms other than hunger, I just get psychotically angry for very little reason. Of course, if someone steps between me and food at such a time, that's a perfectly valid reason to scream and stamp my feet. And by stepping between, I mean delaying my eating by perhaps a minute.

What the heck is going on here?

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 07-21-2008, 11:42 PM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

rheanna HB Userrheanna HB User
Re: Extreme anger blood sugar reactions?

jane,

For some of us, the blood sugar has to drop only a bit below normal for us to have a "meltdown moment" when we run into a stress situation. I don't think it has to get down to a point where we are having obvious physical symptoms before we have mental/emotional reactions.

When I used to have menstrual periods (back in the days when I had to slog through 6 feet of snow to get to the fast food restaurant because they hadn't invented cars yet ), my appetite and need for calories increased greatly in the week before my period and for the first couple of days of it. This means that it is even easier to go into blood sugar deficit.

If you have unstable blood sugar, you need to keep a steady supply of calories in your system. Question: when you say that you have no appetite, do you mean that you have no interest in food or that you can't stand the thought of eating? If you simply have no interest in food, then eat anyway. That is, carry some reasonably healthy snacks with you and eat at regular intervals. Even if the day's calorie total is less than usual, the regular delivery of calories to your system will help greatly. If you don't want to eat because the pain is too great, then skip ahead to my description of the torture-stretch below***.

I finally learned to carry food with me and eat at regular intervals. I also learned to differentiate between the signals of hunger (tummy signals) and the signals of low blood sugar (light-headedness, losing my sense of humor, getting impatient, etc). They're two different things.

The explosive anger issue is supposedly common to ADDers. We supposedly have a less-developed brain wiring in the area of impulse control. When we can't cope, we have a brain meltdown. Low blood sugar can certainly contribute.

My sympathies.

***(The torture-stretch) What helped me on days when my cramps were so bad that I couldn't stand up straight: lie on the floor on your back, put a rolled up towel under your lower back, and allow gravity to stretch your tummy as you relax (ok, force yourself to relax!) in this reverse-bow position. Your feet and shoulders are touching the floor, and your mid-section is suspended in the air by the rolled up towel. Now, try to relax in this position. The idea is to counteract the cramp. Really. It worked for me. Along with some moaning and tears and self-pity. But I did feel much better afterwards. Repeat as needed.

--Rheanna

Old 07-22-2008, 01:00 AM   #3
Senior Veteran
(male)

Thunor HB UserThunor HB UserThunor HB UserThunor HB UserThunor HB UserThunor HB UserThunor HB UserThunor HB UserThunor HB UserThunor HB User

Fortunately, Rheanna covered the female bits, because I can't speak to those, and frankly I'm glad. I do empathize with you guys, but I can honestly say in that regard, I'm glad I'm a man.

Onto the sugary bits. I can't honestly say that I've ever had much trouble with blood sugar being overly high or low. I can go all day without eating and generally won't have any effect aside from perhaps a headache. By the same token, I can eat until it hurts and suffer no ill effects except the pain of a distended stomach. I generally don't even get drowsy when I eat ludicrous amounts of food, though I do often sleep to let my body take care of the pain. I do get hungry sometimes, especially when I'm active or when I'm on a regular schedule and miss a habitual mealtime, but my life has been characterized by the fact that I don't eat because I'm hungry, I eat because I want to eat.

It was suggested to me by a psychologist about a year ago that I may self medicate with food, and I truly believe that I do. I use food for a number of things, including stabilizing my mood when I'm stressed, depressed or angry. I love food, I have horrendous eating and other food/drink related habits (fortunately no alcohol problems), and have the body to show for it.

As a result of all this, I'm probably not the ideal person to discuss the effects of normal people's blood sugar, because for the most part I simply don't have the experience. Trust me, I was dumbfounded last year when I had the bloodwork and it was found that I'm not diabetic.

Where I can relate is in the rage department. I tend to experience the punch the wall, primal scream, flashing eyes kind of rage, which fortunately, is tempered by a very strong sense of decorum in public and a very strong aversion to (physically) hurting people, though I tend to have a very sharp tongue and have often used it to hurt those closest to my heart. So, because in public I won't allow myself to explode, I tend to fume. I smolder. And catch me in private, or in the tenuous solitude of my car and I scream, and hit and throw things, it's not a pretty picture. It's something I'm working very hard to learn to get over, to let things slide, and I do seem to be getting better, but I do know what you're going through on that score.

As for solutions, if you do find that your moments of rage are related to low blood sugar, you need to make sure that you don't get low blood sugar. That's a good idea from a health standpoint as well, the Glycemic Index is a very useful tool to ensure that you have a nice smooth, balanced blood sugar at all times. Make sure you always have some food with you, so you can eat at least something every three hours to keep your metabolism running and keep your low blood sugar demons in check. I feel that that's one thing about controlling our ADD brains that's a real positive, the improved ability to stick to a schedule.

Try to stay active to keep the stress from getting too much, because a short ADD fuse becomes that much shorter when under stress. And perhaps look into meditation or other anger management techniques that can help you learn to let go, rather than blowing a gasket every time your blood sugar dips.

I myself am far from the end of the road on any of my recommendations, so please don't assume I'm preaching. These are the things I'm trying to do in my own life to get my own food and anger demons under control, and I'm seeing some success finally, thanks to you all here and a little medication. So please take this as it was intended, an insight into what I'm trying to do in my own life to defeat the rage monster.

Old 07-22-2008, 01:45 AM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)

index.html HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by rheanna View Post
For some of us, the blood sugar has to drop only a bit below normal for us to have a "meltdown moment" when we run into a stress situation. I don't think it has to get down to a point where we are having obvious physical symptoms before we have mental/emotional reactions.
I couldn't agree more.

I, too, have issues with low blood sugar causing irritability and rage.. I've learned to always carry food with me. I usually have a granola bar with me as well as some "instant sugar" (mints or candy). More often than not, I eat based not on actual hunger but on when I feel shakey.

I find that taking chromium supplementation helps some with blood sugar regulation. I don't take it all the time - only when I notice that I'm having alot of problems. And, as I'm sure you know, it's best to eat a good balance of protein and carbs at every meal while limiting the simple sugars.

My son (the REALLY severely ADHD one) used to have incredible problems with rage when he should have been experiencing hunger. He'd get so inconsolable that he would refuse to eat. I'd end up forcing a piece of candy or a sip of sprite into him (can you imagine a 6 to 8 year old refusing those?) and lo, and behold, within a few minutes the monster would start to disappear, he'd feel hungry, have a meal and be himself again.

I really think the two are related - ADHD and poor blood sugar control.

Old 07-22-2008, 01:49 AM   #5
Senior Veteran
(female)

index.html HB User

Oh, and one other thought. I'm not on it now, but I found that my blood sugar related moods were best controlled when I followed The Zone diet. I think the proportions they recommend of protein/fat/carbs are perfect for me. Why don't I do it now? Too lazy and maybe too self-destructive, I guess.

Old 07-22-2008, 05:45 PM   #6
Senior Veteran
(female)

janewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB User

Thanks, guys.

I suppose it could be my brain is just more sensitive to variations in blood sugar than most people's are. That would kinda make sense. In any case, I'm pretty sure that what happens to me isn't a true hypoglycemic episode.

I've once more been reminded that my sanity pills should include a daily multi-mineral with magnesium/calcium to improve nerve and muscle function, and chromium to control blood sugar. Plus my brand has a few other minerals with synergistic effects. (I just like any excuse to use words like synergistic.)

Index: I know what you mean about your son getting too hungry to eat. One problem with carrying snack foods is that, for some bizarre reason, when I get near-irrational from hunger, I get picky. I crave a hot plate of pasta with cheese sauce and shrimp, or a slice of quiche. Real, nourishing, hot, high calorie meal type food. When I'm really hungry, looking at a granola bar or a bagel makes me nauseous. There are ways to make "real food" transportable, but it requires advanced planning.

Yes, Rheanna, the problem is I can't eat when I have cramps because it makes me hurt more. Keeping tummy empty and deflated gives unhappy female parts more personal space. I'll have to try the towel thing.

Exercise is definitely a big part of my sanity program. I go to the gym twice a week, and walk at least a mile every day.

And, of course, while I'm working on the neuro-biological side of stuff, I also need to look into some more mind-based anger management programs.

Closed Thread