It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

ADD / ADHD Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-31-2008, 12:54 AM   #1
Senior Veteran
(female)

rheanna HB Userrheanna HB User
Book List --- How to Organize an ADDer's Life

I'm starting a thread so that we can list our How-To books in one place.

I ordered a couple of books that just arrived yesterday:

"Organizing Solutions for People with Attention Deficit Disorder" by Susan C. Pinsky

"ADD-Friendly Ways to Organize Your Life" by Judith Kolberg and Kathleen Nadeau, Ph.D.

I haven't had a chance to do more than flip through them (an ADDer can always come up with excuses for not getting around to something ). The first thing that went through my mind was that the Susan Pinsky book is printed on glossy paper -- I was immediately irritated because it means that I can't put comments or notes in the margins because I can only write in pencil in books because it's a sin to write in books but if it's only pencil and not pen then it doesn't count because you can erase it but I can't even do that because it's glossy paper and didn't they think of that when they printed the book and ------ well, then I stopped my run-away ADD thoughts and agreed that perhaps I might actually need this book. Ahem.

At any rate, I will report on what I find in the books and if there's anything really useful for me in there.

My primary concern is NOT how to organize my housework. Sheesh. Housework is so low on my list of priorities. I can manage to get laundry done and the dishes get washed in the morning so that I can cook again and mess up the kitchen each day. The rest of the housework gets done when I realize that the cat hair is fluffing all over the place and it's time to vaccuum, and maybe we should invite some people over for dinner so that I feel it's worth it to tackle the grime.

No, what is really bothering me is that I have interests and hobbies that are languishing in the background. I have ideas for art projects and I have painting supplies and a room to paint in. I have ideas for sewing projects and I have sewing supplies and a room to sew in. (That's all the same room, or actually half of a room shared with other stuff, lest you think I live in a mansion.) I have a knitting machine that has never been taken out of its box. I have writing projects that I would like to attend to.

Basically, what I am lacking at the moment is a coach. I am hoping that these books will give me some ideas on structuring my time and figuring out how to break projects down into manageable tasks.

Some of you may want help in managing housework. Some may want help in managing work. Some may want to know how to combine housework and jobs and child-raising and appointments and all the myriad daily tasks that beset us as adults. And some of you may be younger and still in school or college and are hoping that you can figure out how to get better managing skills before you go off to the adult world of juggling jobs and other responsibilities.

So, I'm highlighting the books that I've listed above, so that they don't get lost in the sea of verbage that spills from my cyber-fingers.

Please add your own book suggestions (or tapes or DVDs) that you think might help others to learn better organizational skills.

Last edited by rheanna; 10-11-2008 at 11:14 PM. Reason: spelling

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 09-03-2008, 02:57 AM   #2
(male)

ZeroSifr HB User
Re: Book List -- How to Organize an ADDer's Life

Great Idea! I will be looking forward to reading this thread on your highlights, i just hope it doesn't turn out like your sewing projects

Old 09-03-2008, 08:52 PM   #3
(female)

artsteach HB User
Smile Re: Book List -- How to Organize an ADDer's Life

A good book is "Living with ADD" a work book for Adults with Attention deficit disorder by M Susan roberts Ph.D and Gerard J. Jansen, Ph.D.

I never filled the whole book out, but it has good ideas for self help exercises.

Old 09-06-2008, 01:30 PM   #4
Senior Veteran
(male)

addprogrammer HB Useraddprogrammer HB Useraddprogrammer HB Useraddprogrammer HB Useraddprogrammer HB Useraddprogrammer HB Useraddprogrammer HB Useraddprogrammer HB Useraddprogrammer HB Useraddprogrammer HB Useraddprogrammer HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZeroSifr View Post
Great Idea! I will be looking forward to reading this thread on your highlights, i just hope it doesn't turn out like your sewing projects
Rheanna,

I hoped you weren't as stabbed in the heart as I was my ZeroSifr innocent glib.

We (me) can be as sensistive emotionally as a thumb is physically after a hammer impact. Guess what? Just did it. Not every slip is ADHD caused, sometimes I admit to being human even though that has been challenged by some.

I think the only kind books that can help you (because they are the only kind that can help me) are of type described by ArtsTeach.

I've been progressively discovering that I not as inattentive when I can interact with [whatever.]

In the way of encouragement, I'm doing pretty well converting my CBT manuals into software. The act of conversion is the active ingredient - not the product. One of the opening statements in my manual set is "this ain't helping you unless you got a therpist to keep you on track." Absolutely true - unless you a geek like me. You do have geektoid traits.

Find something interactive. My money is on "interactive" will work for you too.

Bob

Old 09-08-2008, 06:20 AM   #5
Senior Veteran
(female)

Actually, Bob, I had to laugh (wryly) at ZeroSifr's remark -- it is an unfortunate fact for many of us that we start projects (like threads with a theme that needs to be returned to again and again) and simply don't get back to them. I will keep you guys posted on whether I can get a grip on this mysterious concept of how to complete projects.

And thank you, artsteach, for your book suggestion. As soon as you said that there were exercises to fill out, I got excited and added it to my list of books to consider for my next purchase. So, of course I need to keep Bob's words in mind -- "The act of conversion is the active ingredient - not the product" -- meaning that until I start actively applying some of the ideas in these books my sewing projects aren't going to get done. I am hoping that this book that artsteach recommends will help to structure things a bit more specifically than the two books I am currently looking at.

Old 09-08-2008, 06:21 AM   #6
Senior Veteran
(female)

So, I will report on what I have noticed so far in the two books that I recently purchased.

The Susan C. Pinsky book concentrates mainly on how to organize your STUFF -- how to get rid of most of it, how to organize what's left, how to display things in visible (but organized) systems so that you don't forget what you so efficiently stored in a cardboard box or in the back of a closet. It has lots of pictures of "before" and "after", and (what I love the most) pictures and descriptions and permission!!! to store things in plain sight! The author knows that ADDers need visible reminders -- so we are allowed to purchase clear plastic containers of all sizes to stash things in -- and we are encouraged to utilize open shelving (no opaque doors!) to stack stuff. I had to laugh at the suggestion to find one style of socks that feels comfortable, and then go out and purchase 6 pairs each of white and black of these very socks. Then discard all other socks, and dump the white and black ones into an open bin in your top dresser drawer -- no need to ever fold and match socks on laundry day again -- simply decide if today is a black or white day and grab two socks of the same color. When you run out of socks, do laundry.

On the negative side, the author keeps talking about getting rid of stuff (anything that you haven't used in a year, anything that is old and worn out, extra anything) by putting things out on the street for other people to pick over and take for themselves. Uh, in most neighborhoods this would be considered littering, it's moving the unsightly mess from the inside of your home and transfering it to the street, it's an opportunity for dogs and untidy people to scatter things around and make an even bigger mess, and did I mention that it's littering??? This suggestion made me uncomfortable. And it's repeated frequently in the book.

Another suggestion is that ADDers should eat off of nothing but paper plates and plastic drinking cups and plastic knives, forks and spoons -- for eating at every meal. Uh, it seems to me that trying to keep up with remembering to purchase these items every week is worse than the problem of keeping up with washing the dishes. It's environmentally unfriendly. It increases the amount of garbage that has to be disposed of -- if an ADDer has problems remembering to take out the garbage in time for garbage pick-up day, wouldn't it be counter-productive to be tripping over an even bigger mound of trash every day?

One "solution" for messy ADD kids was that the parent should simply go into a kid's room when the kid isn't there and pick up most of the toys and treasures and put them into a large bag and dispose of them. Well, that raised memories of childhood traumas in my mind. First, it'll only freak the kid out and make them feel helpless and angry, and second, it does nothing to teach the kid skills in how to manage their stuff.

On the whole, this book has lovely pictures and suggestions for managing stuff in every room in the house, but I was not pleased with some of the suggestions, and it did nothing to answer my questions of how to manage my time.

Old 09-08-2008, 06:23 AM   #7
Senior Veteran
(female)

The other book, by Judith Kolberg and Kathleen Nadeau, goes into lots more detail (it has more words and fewer pictures!) about how to manage possessions, money, papers, and time. For each topic it has suggestions for managing things yourself, calling in a friend or family member to help, and/or contacting a professional. The two authors recognize the specific kinds of problems that ADDers have, and they offer constructive ways to work out solutions that are appropriate for the individual. They are not dogmatic the way Ms Pinsky is.

There is a section with 4 chapters on managing time, which is what I am primarily interested in and what I am weakest in. It appears that I need to get out the list of projects that I want to do (I've already started on this), and start breaking them down into smaller and smaller bits (short tasks). Then I use a simple prioritizing rating system (A for high priority, B for middle, and C for low priority). Then I am supposed to list how long each task might take. There is a chapter on how to learn this mysterious skill. The authors recommend using some sort of timer that dings when a specified time is up. Then you stop what you're doing and move on to something else. They claim that the first few weeks is a learning period -- it will take some time to understand this concept of time. It seems to me that Thunor has discussed this. Sigh. I guess the only way to learn this is to get started.

Then I'm to look at my calendar and see what blocks of time I have available. I'm already pretty good about (most of the time) remembering to put down appointments in the calendar. But then all the rest of my time gets vaguely frittered away.

My assignment for today: get out that list of projects, and start making new lists with sub-tasks. During the course of the week, practice filling in blocks of my calendar with some of these tasks.

So, it looks to me that this book more closely matches what I am looking for.

Old 09-08-2008, 11:13 AM   #8
Senior Veteran
(male)

addprogrammer HB Useraddprogrammer HB Useraddprogrammer HB Useraddprogrammer HB Useraddprogrammer HB Useraddprogrammer HB Useraddprogrammer HB Useraddprogrammer HB Useraddprogrammer HB Useraddprogrammer HB Useraddprogrammer HB User

Rheanna,

I wrote out the following in Notepad before I read your latest. After my read of your latest, I encourage you to carefully consider what I've written. Why? Because that book by Pinsky is rock-solid, real life practical ADHD fix bad habits stuff. Even more so after seeing how valid Pinsky is, please read.

It is weird in view that I've never met you and most likely never will that I feel I have an obligation to reciprocate at least a little of your good advice that was one case life saving all other cases, though, very relevant. I'm not asking you to agree just consider. I use notepad because I am so OCD that any text editor with more bulk and I'll start fretting over fonts or some other nonsense.

I got some info on organizing and scheduling that I think can help you.

First, though, help me organize my brain. This is going to be a long post.

Index, I write long posts when I'm thinking out loud. My short posts are because I did my thinking out loud before I posted. Ok, I went through and edited out a lot. The rest stands because I think it necessary to make my case.

By everyone's standards except my own I'm a successful guy. I got a magnificent wife, a successful marriage (that was in question a few years back but no longer) and all the material trappings that supposedly mean you are happy.

I've never experienced anything resembling happiness up until a few months ago. No one can be happy with a brain bug like ADHD. Chaotic thinking generates emotional instability. Sort of happy one moment, anxious the next, then depressed, lack of confidence one moment, supremely confident the next. That emotional instability is what I facetiously have referred to as demons - because it's worse than demons.

I am a walking enema (I'll leave it even though I meant enigma in case both are true), paradox and all other words that mean puzzling. How so? Wife and I should be in ADHD induced skid row poverty. We’re not.

Everyone that knows me in person thinks I'm crazy because I say I'm crazy and they think I’m just kidding. Of course, excluded are a few close friends and my wife who know me well.

Let's get relevant before Index flames me.

How do I do it? That is, appear not crazy to the masses.

1. My wife
2. I'm obsessive but not globally obsessive.
3. I'm rebellious

My wife manages my life and "her" house because we wouldn't have a house otherwise and that is numero uno reason why I'm not on skid row.

I'm obsessive but in three areas only - computer code, debt, and finding my brain bug root. I've written four still out there distributed programs used by hundreds of people and I can honestly say no one has fewer bug reports than me. What’s more, all four programs are written in C/C++ the most ADHD unfriendly, detail centric computer language short of Assembly. I obsess over my code. And I just plain hate debt. Love spending money but hate debt. Incidentally, my documentation SUCKS and wouldn't you know it, last week I did get a bug report on one of the apps that I designed about five years ago to be Win 98 compatible. I know what went wrong. Microsoft changed something. My problem is I haven't the foggiest notion of how my program works and no one else on the planet does either so I'm screwed even though MS is to blame.

The above is all totally relevant and here is why:

Now I got to write the damn documentation to find the damn bug. Hence it will take me a couple of weeks to fix a bug that otherwise would take me a few seconds. I know what the bug is (most likely a deprecated Windows API function) just don't know where it is. No one can recall in sufficient detail how their own code works a short while after the project ships. The level of detail levels the playing field. Of course, I unleveled it by not doing what normal brainers do with documentation. No way would I forget my own logic. Actually I never thought that. I simply couldn't figure out how to do something that boring.

The real relevancy: It took me a few weeks to finally organize my basement workshop. It takes me seconds now to maintain the organization. The principle runs across the board with all the ADHD bad habit fixes I've made to date. I'm spending large sums of time fixing disorganization (with wife's help) just as I am about to "waste" an entire week or more on writing documentation that should have been written five years ago but wasn't written because I don't obsess over anything except code and debt and ADHD root. All other facets of my life were (and some still are) as chaotic as my brain. The "ketchup" is the killer. I honestly thought at one point, "no wonder I'm not organized. It's too inefficient." Well, that is malarkey but the "Ketchup" principle is another ADHD catch-22. Normal people would find my "disambiguation" a nightmare. For those of us with the bug, it's the Return of Freddy and Godzilla plus all the more current scaries I don't know about because I don't do movies because I get bored about 2 seconds in unless the flick is absolutely captivating. Anymore, those types are virtually non-existent. Strike out "virtually."

More relevancy on the so-called above relevant paragraph. Of all people (normal or buggy) we are the least equipped to "ketchup" on organizing, planning and scheduling. Those abstractions are not compatible with ADHD chaotic brain syndrome and the havoc it has created in our lives.

Rheanna, point to be gleaned from wordy above - you can't do it on your own. Books or no books. It is not just "you", it is all inclusive. Adult ADHD remediation must be therapist or coach assisted remediation or it won't work regardless of the quality of the information source. As I posted, my CBT manuals say at the get-go, this ain't happening without the therapist. I bought both the Therapist and Client copies so I could roll my own. My very unique to me circumstances - my wife and my obsessiveness - are how I'm beating the otherwise certain "it won't work." And one other humongous factoid which I am about to reveal.

Next "relevant" point: I posted how great and wonderful I think Dr. Amen is. I did in substance say just that. Sometimes it's hard to put in words where we are coming from - know what I mean? I love Amen more so because he beats the sucky U.S. shrinks for understanding ADHD as defined in the DSM-IV that so happens to be the mainstreamer's Bible.

Rheanna, I got issues. Let's define them: I've read in their entirety 5 books on ADHD and only one was by Amen. I post up a storm here and carefully read virtually every post by others. Further, I've read untold ADHD web pages (hmn, ADHD as both noun and adjective). Do you think it safe to say I've learned a little something about ADHD? Oh, not to mention, I live it. I'm glad you agree because I think so too.

Now, let's humble the proud. And let's confine ourselves to one singular named disorder - ADHD. I have never tackled anything as complicated as that ONE singular brain bug. I know squat about all other brain bugs but am now pursuing an OCD education out of necessity.

I have many times, far more than I care to admit, posted bad advice. The common denominator in my bad advise list is we don't all live in the same house (per JaneWhite) or the same universe per me. A failure to recognize that should be obvious factoid on my part accounts for most of my bad advice. 5-HTP works for me on demon control (after the meds poop out). Fish oil doesn't do squat for me on focus control - so what? We don't all live in the same house - that's what.

You'd think with so many houses no one could possible come up with standards. Not only can, did - it's called the DSM-IV unless V is out now.

There is rhythm to the madness. We are all unique but nowhere near as unique as we thinkest.

I have my bad personal experience with shrinks. And I see posted fairly regularly statements by so-called doctors like, "well, if you have tics you have ADHD." Huh? If you "look" focused you can't have ADHD. Hmn, most space cadets look pretty focused to me. U.S. shrinks are a disgrace to us Americans. Such mistaken ideas (that is, do not agree with the criterion for ADHD in the DSM-IV) can be seen on this board with disturbing regularity. And my own experience supports that it's the shrinks not the good people that post here misquoting their shrinks. Who the hecks am I to challenge our learned shrinktoids? I read the freaking books including the ADHD section in the DSM-IV or least those portions on line, that's how I without credentials can rightly challenge those who have the credentials. My reason for believing the DSM-IV is correct is the same reason I think Amen is correct. Both match my 56 years of ADHD life experience. It is not a matter of who possesses the Holy Grail - mainstream shrinks or the Amen shrink (he is a shrink), rather it's a matter of why haven't those (I want to start cursing and swearing and going postal but this is good clean board so I won't) shrinks who should know but don't know?

Now, let's relevantize the above so-called relevant paragraph.

Rheanna, by saying what I'm about to say I'm now going into an area where a little knowledge might be deadly. I'm going anyway because from what I gleaned from your experience with German doctors is, well to be blunt, they are more ignorant than U.S. doctors. When I say ignorant and doctors it is always as in "doctors are ignorant about ADHD." German or American. Additionally, you simply may be unable to change a nation to suite my take on the ADHD world.

Here it goes: Your dose of Ritalin is far too low for it to be effective. Ritalin's fast burn time (I guess they call it efficacy time) means if you are prescribed 10 mg of Rit per day you get 2 hours of normal brainedness. I did find a shrink finally (the guy I see now) that I should call a psychiatric doctor because he is a doctor of psychiatry not a loser shrink. My guy is my 2 hours source (actually he said two or three, my experience is 2) of efficacy for adults. He further blew my mind when he responded "less for children" when I asked "so adults burn it faster?" Methylphenidate is effective for sure, but it poops out so fast you probably need 50 or 60 mg for a day's worth of normal brainedness. 10 mg of Adderall would be a better choice but from my take on your posts Adderall isn't happening. Adderall generic IR has about 2.5 times more burn time than generic Rit. Look at the dif in dose assuming I'm correct and I admit I may be in error. Again, my experience just a little Adderall is a lot of Ritalin not because Adderall is real speed but because of its much longer efficacy time. Same shrink said if I prefer Ritalin then let's do Concerta. Again, from what I gleaned from you, Germany has yet to recognize that ADHD does not stop at age 18 for many of those it plagues. Mystifying to me for a country noted for its engineering excellence. Oh, well, smart in one thing doesn't make anyone smart in another.

The other factor I alluded to several thousand lines above is: Nothing would have changed for me even with wife and OCD if I didn't have access to right meds at the right dose.

Let's flip flop the "we don't all live same house." Despite what many who live in other houses have posted, for some of us, fish oil isn't going to cut it. Speed - enough of it - is our only hope of caging the beast.

Per my "I'm rebellious" in my got-going-for-me list at the early stages of this post of Index ire arousing length.

I don't care, never have and never will about IQ or college degrees. Only because I've seen too many losers who possess both. I respect accomplishment. I respect Index and JaneWhite because they graduated college and grad school, Jane's case. Not because both are smarty pant high IQers. And, while it took me long enough to get it, I get it. The reason you and I failed at same is because we have worser versions both in type (my case) and degree (in your case.) Let's transmigrate this into topic at hand. I don't care if Amen is right or it's the other camp. Only thing that matters to me is identifying who's in the know and who's the loser. The paradoxical irony of it all, my case I've concluded both camps are talking apples with difference being word choice for the most part. So I like Amen's wording better because it helped me see I do in fact very much so have a co-morbid. Someone said, ADHD rarely travels along. Amen to that if not Amen to Amen.

Incidentally, you’re smarter than me too. My IQ came in at 119.5 first test, 116 second. So what? IQ is mostly a measure of potential not achievement as evidenced by U.S. Shrinktoids.

Career choices is another good use of IQ score. Good for more than just whether he's a screw up or he's dumb. Back in my day my IQ test said "he's a screw up." I'm long over fretting over something that was unavoidable at the time. I get torqued seeing the same type mistakes being made by shrinks long after they quit blaming Mom for all our woes. Or was it sex they blamed for everything? In that case, they were right afterall

Did I mention I'm good at sarcasm? Too bad that's a bad point. But when dealing with bozos what choice does one have?

Old 09-30-2008, 05:30 AM   #9
Senior Veteran
(female)

artsteach,

I have ordered the workbook that you recommend from my local German bookstore. It hasn't arrived yet. I'll let you know if it helps.

--Rheanna

Old 09-30-2008, 06:06 AM   #10
Senior Veteran
(female)

Bob,

You are definitely one of the nicest and most caring persons in my life! {{{hugs}}}

I do really appreciate your concern. But I am also one of the most stubborn people I know -- you know the old song "I did it myyyyy wayyyy".

I am keeping my meds at minimum dosage primarily because it requires so much time to acquire (telephone a day or so before to request a prescription, travel 4 to 5 hours to Big City there and back to pick up prescription, travel on another day 2+ hours to Small City there and back to turn prescription in to Apotheke, travel on another day to Small City to pick up meds). This is several hours spread over 4 different days of one week just to get 100 pills. If I take 1-1/2 pills (15 mg) per day, that means that I need to go through this rigamarol every 2 months. Not a great excuse, but since this thread is about learning how to organize my life, I'd really rather be doing something else with my time than chasing a prescription more often than I have to.

15 mg of generic Ritalin works for about 4 hours or so, and if I get a running start on the day, and have a list of tasks to attend to, and the ADD fairies are smiling on me, I can usually manage to get a fair amount of those tasks done.

I still need to find some outside structure. One major advantage of having a job is that your time and task list are defined for you. I am a lady of leisure. That has its advantages, but of course the major disadvantage is that it's too easy to fritter away my time.

I still can't structure my day the way the Kolberg & Nadeau book describe. I am practicing the concept of at least making a list of doable tasks for the day.

The other concept that I'm mulling over from this book is the idea of prioritizing projects, so that the tasks for the higher priority projects get assigned a higher priority on the task list. Uh, my first attempt at this meant that there were a lot of projects on the "A" list. This is not prioritizing. This is overloading and panicing and shutting down and not getting anything done.

So, I really am looking at my project list and selecting one (1!) to work on until it is done. I can already feel my anxiety level going down.

And I do appreciate your heartfelt concern, Bob. But if you are a (good) doggy, then I am a (stubborn) mule.

I will get me an ADD coach. Still working on that project.

--Rheanna

Closed Thread