It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

ADD / ADHD Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-21-2008, 07:36 PM   #1
(male)

unteng10 HB User
Talking to doctor about ADHD

How would you go about talking to your doctor about getting tested for adult ADHD, and being put on medication if needed? I am a college student, going to a campus doctor. I really think I have adult ADHD and would like to get tested. But, im worried the doctor may think I am just trying to get medicine for the intent to sell, or won't take me seriously, because of my age and the fact that medications, like adderall and ritalin are such a problem on college campuses. Any ideas? I really want my mind to slow down, and be able to relax and get things done.

Old 12-22-2008, 06:04 AM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

janewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB User
Re: Talking to doctor about ADHD

Don't ask for a medicine. Just say, for example, that someone you know has ADHD, and you seem to have similar problems. Campus doctor might refer you off campus rather than prescribing himself, but go along with it.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 12-22-2008, 06:13 AM   #3
(male)

unteng10 HB User

That makes sense. I wonder how often they get people in there asking for medication.

Old 12-24-2008, 01:48 AM   #4
(male)

samwisegamjy HB User

I was prescribed Provigil (200mg) 2 weeks ago, but It gives me pounding headeaches. But I have also been on Straterra, Concerta, Effexor XR, and Lexapro, and now I'm telling my doctor that I want Adderral? My doctor is going to think im crazy! My cousin had some and it is the perfect medication for me, but I think the doctor is scared, because it can be addictive. But so is Concerta and Provigil! I have to travel home in 2 weeks!!!!!!
I am not a drug abuser, I just want something that works!

ANY SUGGESTIONS???

Last edited by samwisegamjy; 12-24-2008 at 02:28 AM. Reason: wrong information

Old 12-24-2008, 07:17 AM   #5
(male)

unteng10 HB User

That is how I feel. I have been on prozac, wellbutrin, celexa. None of those medicines have done anything for me. I have tried provigil, concerta, and adderral. The stimulant medications work 10x better for me. I am much more focused on everything in my life and can get things done. The provigil just makes me jittery, the concerta kinda sucked IMO, but adderral did wonders for me. I would think after you have tried all those medications and none worked for you, and you have tried adderral, that you would be able to tell your doctor this, and be prescribed it.

Old 12-24-2008, 08:02 AM   #6
(male)

samwisegamjy HB User

Thanks alot VVVV

Old 01-08-2009, 08:43 AM   #7
(male)

unteng10 HB User

I had a psychologist appointment tuesday, and she said that I have concentration, attention and anxiety problems. She also referred me to the learning center here at my university, and said if that doesn't help I may need medication. I know psychologists can't prescribe anything, but I'm going back to my doctor in another week to talk about the depression meds I was put on but stopped taking. I did not feel depressed until taking them, and feel much happier now that I am off it. Should I bring up what my psychologist said to my doctor, and see what she thinks?

Last edited by unteng10; 01-08-2009 at 09:58 AM.

Old 01-08-2009, 02:46 PM   #8
Senior Veteran
(female)

janewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB User

Definitely keep them in touch with each other. Might want to get the psychologist's stuff in writing, too.

Old 01-08-2009, 05:36 PM   #9
(male)

unteng10 HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by janewhite1 View Post
Definitely keep them in touch with each other. Might want to get the psychologist's stuff in writing, too.
Good idea, they are both in the same building, on campus at my school.

Old 01-15-2009, 06:20 PM   #10
(male)

unteng10 HB User

Went and visited my doctor today. She brought up adderall and ritalin. I was prescribed prozac from 13 to 20, and she wants me to try it again for my concentration. Anybody ever heard of prozac being used for this? She told me to come in for a follow up in a month. I'm going to give it a shot, but I dont think it is going to help. I wish I would have been tested more when I was younger instead of just being put on prozac. I dont like SSRIs because of the loss of sex drive, which is one of the reasons I didnt enjoy taking it when I was growing up.

Closed Thread