It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

ADD / ADHD Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-23-2009, 08:48 PM   #1
(male)

james0906 HB User
Provigil

I hear that Provigil is prescribed off label for ADD. It seems that there is less of the coming down that can be experienced with Adderal or Dexedrine. I stay sleepy much of the time from shift work and really tell when I am between doses of Adderall. I actually can sleep better when on Adderal than without it but my energy really crashes between doses.
Does anyone have any experience with Provigil? How does it compare to stimulant meds when used to help with ADD?
Thanks

Old 01-24-2009, 06:17 AM   #2
(female)

spamula HB User
Re: Provigil

I was on Provigil for 1 year and it worked out great. 1 thing I got way to skinney and then I had a major flip-outs and had to come off. I am all for giving it a try, It was the best year ever.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 01-24-2009, 07:56 AM   #3
(male)

vince10 HB User

I take Provigil for Fibromyalgia. It is a wonder drug in my opinion for Fibro and chronic fatigue. Plus it kills my appetite. This is great since I haven't been able to shed the 20 pounds I need to. I have lost 8 pounds this month since I started Provigil.

Old 01-25-2009, 01:13 AM   #4
(female)

bj08 HB User

I was prescribed Provigil for Narcolepsy. I wasn't aware they prescribe it for ADD. I did not find it to be a wonder drug for me I regret to say. It does help me to be more alert when I am tired but it's not a profound help. But it did help me after I had surgery and was still so groggy from anesthesia and pain medication. I went from being a zombie to virtually normal after the Provigil. I make sure I take the Provigil if I am going to be driving any distance at all or I am the slightest bit tired for insurance.

Old 01-25-2009, 08:05 AM   #5
(male)

james0906 HB User

Thanks to all who have commented.

Provigil is not generally prescribed for ADD. Clinical trials showed it to be effective in the treament of ADD. I read that one child developed a rash that was thought to be caused by the Provigil leading the FDA to not endorse it for ADD. The doctor involved later decided that the rash was not related. It is sometimes prescribed off label for ADD.

Spamula,

What were you taking Provigil for? I am interested in trying it for ADD. The dexedrine and Addrall are both helpful with ADD. It sounds like Provigil may be a little safer in respect to heart health. I am not having any problems but one can't be too careful. I also have not heard of people developing a tolerance to Provigil as in the case of the amphetamines.

Old 01-26-2009, 05:42 AM   #6
(female)

spamula HB User

I was given the provigil for chronic Fatigue Syndrome. but I have ADD as well

Closed Thread