It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

ADD / ADHD Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-22-2009, 06:33 PM   #1
(female)

m345 HB User
question for anyone w/ ADD and bipolar

Do you ever feel like your add medication stops working when you're in a deep depression or moderate-severe mania?

I have been diagnosed with both ADD and bipolar disorder and I don't currently take medication for bipolar. I have been taking medication for my ADD and I've noticed the medication does nothing when I am really depressed or at least moderately manic. This has happened both when I was taking concerta 54 mgs and now w/ adderall xr 20 mg also.

My doctor was never clear on a diagnosis of bipolar but said it "was probable" and I was on lamictal for about two weeks before.

I am asking this question b/c I am not sure if I have bipolar or not, but I am wondering if these poop-outs in my medication have anything to do with my mood swings. Has anyone experienced this or can give me any insight?

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 02-25-2009, 07:32 PM   #2
(female)

court91 HB User
Re: question for anyone w/ ADD and bipolar

I have bipolar disorder, ADD and schizophrenia. Im on Lamictal and Risperdone and i still have depression and mania sometimes, i know exactly what you mean. im not a dr and i cant tell you that you are bipolar but i can relate to what your saying. some medicines dont work for some people because everyones different obviously lol im not on medication for ADD though unfortunately

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 02-26-2009, 01:33 AM   #3
(male)

Walking Short HB User

I'm Bi, no ADD. But I can tell you that sometimes when I'm depressed, my brain just goes kaput. I do computers and I get pretty absorbed sometimes, it's a great escape. But when I'm extra depressed, even that doesn't work.

Old 02-28-2009, 08:01 AM   #4
(female)

spamula HB User

I am 47 and have lived with ADD and probable Bi-polar all my life. I have been medicated for the bi-polar when I had a bad manic episode a couple of years ago. other than that I just deal with it. My family didn't believe in meds so I went with out and had a very hard life. I would get an official diagnosis and take meds for both. I haven't done that yet due to financial reasons.

Closed Thread