It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

ADD / ADHD Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-20-2009, 01:56 PM   #1
(female)

moerig HB User
how much fish oil should an eleven year old get

My eleven year old is on 60mg celexa and 25mg of adderall xr. How much fish oil should I give him

Old 03-27-2009, 07:17 PM   #2
(female)

Chreey HB User
Re: how much fish oil should an eleven year old get

Dr. Daniel Amen of the Amen Clinic and an ADHD expert, suggests 1000-2000 mg fish oil for children. Dr. Amen says even if it doesn't help an individual with ADHD, it won't hurt either. I just picked some up for my 9-yr-old grandson, (who hates fish); it's 1200 mg. I also noted it said "mercury-free" on the bottle.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 04-15-2009, 08:25 PM   #3
(female)

cathy57 HB User

Fish oil does wonders for reading, writing, attention &concentration, spelling, handwriting... etc. even children not diagnosed with ADHD will improve,,, or shall I say, 40% in a study improved... check out the Durham trial in England...cathy

Old 05-05-2009, 10:06 PM   #4
(male)

Paully75 HB User

What!?!?! Fish oil works???? Are you kidding? WHy fish oil and not flax seed oil? Or is it the same effect?
And who is this Dr. Amen fella?

Old 05-06-2009, 11:45 AM   #5
(female)

Chreey HB User

Dr. Daniel Amen is an ADHD expert in the L.A. area who's had greater than normal success in treating ADHD youngsters. He's been on PBS several times. <removed>

Not everyone agrees with his theories, of course. He believes there are 5-6 different kinds of ADD/ADHD. His description of each one makes a lot of sense. He also believes many of these children have demonstrate abnormal MRI's of the brain (esp. frontal brain, where emotional responses originate) and that science should be looking for ways to treat the abnormalities. Obviously, this area needs a LOT more research.

Because many children do not like fish or walnuts (rich sources of Omega-3's), he recommends parents add the fish oil supplements to their diets. Scientists are now touting the benefits of Omega-3's in adult brains, and Dr. Amen believes the ADD/ADHD children will also benefit from them, as the great majority of ADD/ADHD kids are deficient in Omega-3's. He's not saying it's a cure-all, far from it. He's saying this is another tool that seems to help at least 40% of these children.

Last edited by mod-anon; 05-06-2009 at 11:01 PM. Reason: do not instruct members on how to find websites.

Old 05-06-2009, 12:57 PM   #6
(female)

cathy57 HB User

That's right Dr. Amen has great theories, i hear he's not that great with customer service, some of his clients aren't happy with him, (or exclients). <removed> flax is problematic as it is a short chain omega 3 and ADHD kids may not have the required enzymes to convert this to the longer chain omega 3s such as DHA & EPA. Read J. Stordy or J. Richardson for more technical info..cath P.S. My son takes fish/flax combo liquid daily.

Last edited by mod-anon; 05-06-2009 at 11:02 PM. Reason: Do not post commercial websites. Please read and follow the posting rules.

Old 05-11-2009, 09:57 AM   #7
(female)

Chreey HB User

Cathy57, how old is the son who's taking the fish oil/flaxseed comobo?

Old 05-12-2009, 03:32 PM   #8
(female)

wildroses HB User

I tried fish oil for my son several times the last 3-4 years. Didn't work. They say it doesn't hurt but it's expensive and I don't see anything that it's doing for him. Certainly didn't work for ADHD.

Old 05-13-2009, 06:44 AM   #9
(female)

cathy57 HB User

He's 9...
it isn't helping much, but I continue to give it to him.

Old 05-13-2009, 06:45 AM   #10
(female)

cathy57 HB User

That's right, it only helps with about 40% of the general population, but even non ADHD children can benefit... I will continue to give it to him even if I see no results, because it is really good for him anyway. I take it everyday myself. We take a flax oil/fish oil combo. cathy

Closed Thread