It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

ADD / ADHD Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-03-2009, 07:14 AM   #1
Senior Veteran
(female)

pucca_chick HB User
Lightbulb What does it mean if the meds stop the mood swings?

Ive lived in hell for the last 7 years. My first bout of depression came out of the blue in my early teens, it was severe and lasted months. Inbetween times i only had short intervals from this of feeling mildly down. But the depression just kept coming back every few months.i began harming. I eventually went to a doc and was put on prozac, the first 2 weeks i went insane and was boucning off the walls, giggling and vacumming the curtains at 3 in the morning, but i was not manic as no one really noticed other than me being more excitable than usual. It then wore off and nothing happened. the same with my next anti deprassant- ive been unresponsive to both. Ive had a lot of therapy also.

I was diagnosed last year with ADD. the doc is also trying to put BPD on me but i dont feel i fit all the criterea. since i began the meds for ADD my mood swings have pretty much stopped.

I have begun to wonder sometimes if there is something slightly bipolar about my moods. Alcoholism and gambling and depression run in my fmily as well as two members suspected of bipolar. I know ADD and bipolar are often comorbid and it makes me wonder. Just because of the onset of the depression and the cycle of things, then the reaction brefily to the meds and my unresponsivness to therapy or meds.

When i first went for depression i had problems with long lasting waves of bad depression, id just come out of one and was still feeling midly down, just sort of exisisting waiting for the next one. But since ive been treated with anti depressants my moods i have just realized increased in cycling. Throughout the day my moods would be everywhere and i was very depressed a lot, unorganized even moreso than usual and i couldnt plan anything because god knows what mood id be in.

I know i have ADD because my childhood history matches before i had any mood disorders. i was a very reactive child, either anxious or in a tantrum and they were violent tantrums! But the reactions didnt last like they do now and i wasnt depressed.

I am on a stimulant and anti depressant, i know theyre supposed to bring out a manic episode in bipolar but i also read that it can smooth out the depression in Bipolar 2. I just find it strange that after so many years i take a pill and my mood swings vanish from the first pill. im calmer and my head isnt racing anymore. My moods dont swing everywhere, i just feel smoother.

Is it possible it was the ADD that caused the mood swings? its just that it doesnt seem the type of mood swings for ADD, they were extreme to the point ive harmed for 7 years and thought of suicide a lot. I have had sliughtly higher periods that only last a week, but very rarley. i just wake up feeling buzzed and i catch up on everything, im more socialble, i feel happy and think of all the stuff i can do with my life. last time i joined the gym and went to a class every day that week-usually im overhwelmed with fatague.

any thoughts? does anyone else experience these oods swings from ADD? or is this maybe something else?ive already posted but i havent got a reply and would really appreciate any input please. thanks.
are my own
But theyre not yours,
they are my own
And i am never broken

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 04-03-2009, 07:30 AM   #2
Veteran
(female)

niknak77 HB User
Re: What does it mean if the meds stop the mood swings?

My daughter has ADD and ODD, she also has the same mood swings and tantrums. She has just recently started taking a low dose of meds, and her moods and tantrums are slowly starting to get better as we work on adjusting the meds.
So, yes I believe the ADD could have impacted your moods and impulses. Whether or not you may have other underlying issues contributing, I don't know, but it seems like you have found what works for you.
Good luck and I hope all continues to go well for you.

Old 04-03-2009, 03:18 PM   #3
Senior Veteran
(male)

addprogrammer HB Useraddprogrammer HB Useraddprogrammer HB Useraddprogrammer HB Useraddprogrammer HB Useraddprogrammer HB Useraddprogrammer HB Useraddprogrammer HB Useraddprogrammer HB Useraddprogrammer HB Useraddprogrammer HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by pucca_chick View Post
any thoughts? does anyone else experience these oods swings from ADD? or is this maybe something else?ive already posted but i havent got a reply and would really appreciate any input please. thanks.
I experience mood swings and I know I'm ADHD.

Are are seeing a psychiatrist? Do you have a good relationship with pdoc? If yes to both, do what the doc says. You don't have to have full blown manic episodes to have BP.

Mood swings can be caused by ADHD. My lastest theory (subject to change without notice) is more often mood disorders are comorbid. They have be treated as separate entities. If you are suffering from bipolar and it isn't treated you'll get no relief. Look forward to another 7 years in hell.

On the over hand, if your doctor can nail all that ails you, you'll a "get out of hell card." Then it becomes a "simple" matter of not falling back in. Brain disorders SUCK.

Bob

Old 04-04-2009, 05:24 AM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)

pucca_chick HB User

i do feel a lot of my mood swings mayb be due to ADHD. However, i wonder about the real plummets that come every few months and i can never stop and that meds dont stop either.

It is probably just the meds but the last few nights i have found myself unable to sleep more because of racing thoughts and a restless feeling. Yet the week before i was very depressed and the dexedrine helped calm me down and i felt at ease and relaxed and i was sleeping so well and easily.

I am noticing now they wear off in the afternoons, i get tired and then i go to sleep, i wake up and feel refreshed but i feel racy at night.im a night owl anyway usually.

last night it took me 2 and a half hours to sleep again and i woke up brefily at 5 and then went back to sleep ok. But i woke up this morning feeling slightly weighed down, the anxious depressed sort of feeling, i was not in a depression i just noticed something up with my mood. i took the Dex and an hour later it was like being shot out of a cannon.

i have been very energized more than usual on the Dex, im moving about and having the conversations outloud and talking fast in the conversations again. My hands are going and everything as if people are actually there. I know theres no one there but i talk sometimes to people i know and play out scenarios. Then i feel an anxious energy, i dont feel anxious or depressed i just feel buzzing.

I feel positive and very happy. Why would the meds effect me suddenly like that after the week before they calmed my thoughts down and actually made me feel slightly tired but alert to a good level?

any thoughts? I suppose if it was sinister i wouldnt be typing right now which is a good sign please help
are my own
But theyre not yours,
they are my own
And i am never broken

Old 04-04-2009, 05:53 AM   #5
Senior Veteran
(male)

addprogrammer HB Useraddprogrammer HB Useraddprogrammer HB Useraddprogrammer HB Useraddprogrammer HB Useraddprogrammer HB Useraddprogrammer HB Useraddprogrammer HB Useraddprogrammer HB Useraddprogrammer HB Useraddprogrammer HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by pucca_chick View Post
I feel positive and very happy. Why would the meds effect me suddenly like that after the week before they calmed my thoughts down and actually made me feel slightly tired but alert to a good level?
BP is a strong possibility. ADHD can be treated with stimulants but it is tricky when BP is along for the ride. Talk to doc.

"ADHD rarely travels alone."

Bob

Closed Thread