It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

ADD / ADHD Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-08-2009, 08:21 PM   #1
(male)

ADDstudent33 HB User
Adderall and coughing "tic"... frustrated!

my short story:

I'm a university student with diagnosed ADHD....was first put on concerta but could not handle the stomach pains (puked a few times). I was then put on 10 mg adderall immediate (twice a day) by my psychiatrist. Worked excellent first two weeks but then i increased it to 15 mg a day and slowy noticed i started to cough and could not controll it (esp in class where i had to walk out a few times). I talked to my psych today and she said the adderall was causing a coughing tick. I still take it (not as often) becuase it really helps but i'm now really frustrated due to the side effect. My psychiatrst told me to go back to 10 but still cough....she wants to put me on "Vyvanse". my question is what are the chances that the vyvanse wont bring out the coughing tick? I REALLY don't want to stop taking a stimulant (that works well) because my grades are vastly improving this semester....so well that i might actually pull a 3.5 gpa this semester! Please somebody tell me theres some hope in my situation!!

Old 04-09-2009, 03:39 AM   #2
Senior Veteran
(male)

addprogrammer HB Useraddprogrammer HB Useraddprogrammer HB Useraddprogrammer HB Useraddprogrammer HB Useraddprogrammer HB Useraddprogrammer HB Useraddprogrammer HB Useraddprogrammer HB Useraddprogrammer HB Useraddprogrammer HB User
Re: Adderall and coughing "tick"...frustrated!

AddStudent,

Your question has got to be the easiest I've seen to answer. Go buy a couple bags of Rigolies. I'd better get the corrent spelling - be right back: Ricola Throat Drops or I guess anyother suck on cough drop will do.

Drink as much water as you can without drowning yourself. Stimulants dehydrate like nothing else.

Your problem is FIXED.

Bob

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 04-09-2009, 08:19 AM   #3
(male)

ADDstudent33 HB User

well...thanks for your quick response but i think your way off on this one....its not as simple as you think, Its really hard for me to stop coughing b/c its a tick...this isnt a general side effect of adderall...if you do the research you will see that its a rare one and it has nothing to do with dry mouth or water (i can handle that and i drink water ALL the time on adderrall) I'll give those throat drops a shot but i think your confusing this with just a regular throat/coughing thing

Old 04-09-2009, 09:16 AM   #4
Senior Veteran
(male)

addprogrammer HB Useraddprogrammer HB Useraddprogrammer HB Useraddprogrammer HB Useraddprogrammer HB Useraddprogrammer HB Useraddprogrammer HB Useraddprogrammer HB Useraddprogrammer HB Useraddprogrammer HB Useraddprogrammer HB User

Sorry,

Plan B: Try replacing the tic habit with something else. You may need help from a real psychologist on the "something else." It is difficult to stop doing anything. Much easier to do something less bothersome in it's place.

Keeping the goal in focus is hard part of behavior modification. We are a little short on "focus." Try sticking a post-it on your monitor with tic replacement action.

Don't stop drinking tons of water cuz it will help you all around.

My problem is dry throat. My sister-in-law's problem is similar to yours. She's contantly clearing her throat. Drives me nut but not her. She's not interested in "replacement therapy."

Nothing has ever been as easy as I think. Thanks for the reminder, though.

Bob

Old 04-09-2009, 09:31 AM   #5
Senior Veteran
(male)

I don't doubt for a second you have a very real sensation in your throat that demands a cough. I had a wicked case of poison ivy, actually twice, and the thing I wanted to do most was itch. Itching set up a vicious cycle. The more I itched the more I itched. Finally I went to doctor and he said he could give me steroids but prefered not to. I opted out. The point I want to make is some type of medication may also be needed at least until you get over it.

Bob

Old 04-09-2009, 09:43 PM   #6
(female)

weaver02 HB Userweaver02 HB Userweaver02 HB User

My son had the same thing. It took a long time before he stop doing it. He said it felt like he had to clear his throat. I did take him off of concerta for two weeks to make sure it was the meds and not some illness. The doc did say some people will develope a tick. well long story short it was the meds, we put him back on it and he finally stoped coughing.

Old 04-13-2009, 06:36 PM   #7
(male)

ADDstudent33 HB User

weaverfam02;

did he switch to another med or the same one? and he just stopped coughing?

Last edited by mod-anon; 04-13-2009 at 10:04 PM. Reason: removed quote

Old 04-22-2009, 03:15 PM   #8
(female)

we put him back on the same med. he hasn't cought sence we put him back on.

Last edited by mod-anon; 04-22-2009 at 10:35 PM. Reason: edited quotes

Old 05-06-2009, 05:12 PM   #9
(female)

Blndrose2 HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by weaverfam02 View Post
we put him back on the same med. he hasn't cought sence we put him back on.
Did your Dr. have an answer for this? My son has developed ticks on his med and they just want to throw more meds at him to fix the tick. I feel like they are just grasping at staws here.

Old 05-17-2009, 04:22 PM   #10
(male)

jake311 HB User

I'm also a college student and started taking adderall almost 6 months ago. The first couple months I had a terrible cough and then it slowly starting going away, but not completely. I went off of the medication for a week and when I got back on it the cough came back full strength. It's really annoying, but the benefits really do out way dealing with the cough. My doctor told me to drink tons of water also, and that has helped a little. From what I have researched about the cough/tic I actually don't think that it is a tic at all. I noticed that my boogers were kind of sticky, more than usual (sorry, this is kind of grose). Sometimes I would even have boogers that would just build up and when I tried to pull them out it also pulled some skin off and would cause my nose to bleed a little. The same type of cells that produce mucous in your nose are also found in your lungs and trachea (throat). Usually this mucous is easily removed by little cells called cilia that move the mucous out of the throat and lungs. It's normal and healthy to have that mucous. But I think adderall and other stimulants effect the mucous secreting cells in a way that causes them to secrete a more sticky mucous. Since the mucous isn't being removed by the cilia very effectively your body tells you to cough in order to get it out. It's usually a dry cough, but occasionally you do feel some mucous coming out. There have been studies done that have suggested this to be the case.

Let me know if anyone figures out a way to deal with this. A cough drop will not do the job, trust me. It might not be possible to ever get it to clear up since it is a physiological response to the medication.

Old 05-17-2009, 05:27 PM   #11
Senior Veteran
(male)

Quote:
Originally Posted by jake311 View Post
Let me know if anyone figures out a way to deal with this. A cough drop will not do the job, trust me. It might not be possible to ever get it to clear up since it is a physiological response to the medication.
Jake,

Good intelligent stuff. Thanks. Why does Adderall cause dry mouth? I couldn't find a direct answer so I'll postulate one. Amphetamines are kissing cousins of pseudoepehdrine. Pseudoephedrine is a sympathomimetic amine decongestant. Pseudofed dries up boggers. I tell you without a doubt that Adderall is dang good bogger dryer upper. I suspect that Adderall creates sticky mucous that causes the symptom of dry mouth and aggravates the cilia that causes the cough.

I don't always get drymouth. When I do, tons of water and Ricola "trachea" drops stop the cough.

Must be you guys have more sensitive cilia than I do and that's why in your case a cough drop will not do the job. Does mine but NOT without TONS of water.

Boggers do not grose or goose or gross me out. But BLOODY boggers do. GADS. Man. Dis-cuss-ting.

Bob

Old 05-17-2009, 06:36 PM   #12
Senior Veteran
(female)

marisuela HB Usermarisuela HB Usermarisuela HB Usermarisuela HB Usermarisuela HB Usermarisuela HB Usermarisuela HB Usermarisuela HB Usermarisuela HB User
Re: Adderall and coughing "tic"... frustrated!

okay, this is probably a very stupid question, but are you positive it is a tic, and not just your average "the weather is changing," or "it's still flu season," or whatever kind of cough? is the psych the only doc you have seen about it?

i have to ask, because a friend of mine was misdiagnosed by her psych doc as having a coughing tic, due to adderall, when actually, she had bronchitis (and her only symptoms were coughing and fatigue.... the psych doc said the fatigue was due to coughing all night and not getting adequate rest, which made sense at the time.... of course, coughing and fatigue due to bronchitis made a lot more sense....). it was a full month before she bothered going to her regular doc about it!

unless you are absolutely positive your cough is due to a tic, it might be worth having it looked at by a regular doc.

to help with a dry throat and ease a dry cough, hot honey and lemon works wonders (couple of tablespoons of honey and a couple of teaspoons of lemon juice, add 8 ounces of water and heat in the microwave for a couple of minutes).

jake, to solve the booger problem..... stop picking your nose, that's just gross!!!

just kidding, jake (although.... eew!), i actually know what you're talking about with the dry scabby bloody nose thing. vaseline or triple antibiotic ointment on a q-tip a couple of times a day will work wonders for that!

Old 06-03-2009, 06:36 PM   #13
(female)

Re: Adderall and coughing "tic"... frustrated!

My son had the coughs for about four weeks. The thing is it was triggered by a real sore throat (strep throat) then after he got over the illness he just kept on coughing all the time. the doc said it sounded like the meds are triggering a tic from what he went trough. when i took him off of it for two weeks he stopped the second week and then i put him back on. He hasn't cough sense. if you have allergies or getting a cold while on the meds it could cause the problem. Maybe stopping it for a week or two until it stops then put yourself back on it.

Closed Thread