It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

ADD / ADHD Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-01-2009, 08:33 PM   #1
(male)

chaseryder HB User
Concerned with drugs/Concerta...?

Hey guys,

Thanks for reading this, and an extra thank you for any advice or response.

I will keep it brief. I am 23 years old. Have been battling anxiety problems for about 5 years, and I guess living and ignoring my ADD symptoms for my life. I tampered with amphetamines during my early college years, but after anxiety struck, I gave em up.

Until recently, I was diagnosed with ADD. Something that I was aware of but never gave much thought to? Doesn't make much sense...

I am not on any anti-depressants for anxiety. I went through that, and for the past 2 yrs tried overcoming my anxiety through more spiritual and natural ways (Meditation, relaxation). Brought some success, but never to freedom.

Anyway, after recently experiencing and attempting to cope with newfound fatigue, brain fog, and a derealization/dream like vision, I broke down and decided to mention my ADD issues to the doc. He handed me a script for ritalin, and I thought i'd give it a go since my fatigue was really troubling me and my focus.

Tried the 20 mg ritalin SR...got me going, increased heart rate + anxiety, but major focus and good euphoria. Then after talking with my brother, I decided to give concerta a try.

Got a script, for 36's (little too much to start). Had me sweating, but super focused, less anxious, on point. FELT GREAT. Still decided it was too much.

Went back...got the 18's. FELT GREAT! even better for the first day--all day. Today, I felt great throughout the after noon. Around 3, I crashed hard. Felt totally out of it. Worried that my whole day was ruined, I remembered that i had the ritalin 20 mg sr still in my car. I thought that it wouldn't be bad, since my dose of concerta was low, and that they both were of the same family.

Well, it was obviously a bad call. I developed tightness in my chest, shortness of breath, anxious, irritabliity, change in vision...I felt sick...very worried. It has been 8 or so hours following this dose, and I now feel much better than before/tired...

BUT now wondering where to go with this...

I dont wanna be on drugs. I have had a bad run in with drugs, particularly a very powerful acne medication. However, concerta has given me a new found life. A life worth living for. A life of productivity, clarity, and hope. Obviously this is artificial, and I know that all this good feeling with come to end, and may come with consequences. I don't like the thoguht that a drug will bring me artificial happiness. But a life free of anxiety, and a more focused outlook is a blessing. I am kinda at a loss...and not really sure where to go with this...

I am considering possibly taking tomorrow off...and then picking it back up on sunday with the 36...(I have way too many pills)...

It disgusts me to read some of these other boards, with hearing stories of kids going up to such high doses...it is depressing to feel that we become zombied by this cocaine like substance that numbs our brain and makes us artificially exuberant. lol...im tired and on concerta...what can I say...>

Any suggestions or advice would be appreciated.

Thank you all again for reading it if you followed it up to this point.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 05-02-2009, 05:41 PM   #2
(female)

KristaK HB User
Re: Concerned with drugs/Concerta...?

I would stop taking the Ritalin.
Don't stop cold turkey though.
Ease yourself off of this med.
If I were you, I would just take my Concerta.
And any time you feel dizzy or think that your on a high dosage, try Half-ing them.
Hope this helps, but yea I don't think Ritalin is what you need.
Oh and also most Anxiety or ADD meds, cause people to become drowsy.
So don't worry. It's normal to get drowsy after taking these kinds of meds.

Hope I have helped you some.

Last edited by KristaK; 05-02-2009 at 05:41 PM.

Old 05-02-2009, 06:38 PM   #3
(female)

armyofone0508 HB User

don't take the ritalin. it sucks. adderall is much better than both of those. i have major anxiety, too, and fortuantly this doesn't make it worse. id take the 18 of concerta for like a week, then go up to the 36. that way you could better adjust to it.

Old 05-06-2009, 04:47 PM   #4
(female)

Blndrose2 HB User

If you have anxiety the medications you mentioned can make it worse. I have been told that Focalin (an ADD med as well) is actually less likely to increase anxiety in patients. A friend of mine has anxiety and ADD and is taking this med and it is helping her ADD and she has not had anxiety problems with it. Maybe ask your DR. about it.

Old 05-07-2009, 07:25 AM   #5
(male)

chaseryder HB User

Hey guys,

Thanks for the replies. I appreciate it.

Well I did go back to the 18's, and def. notice a slight improvement in concentration, drop in anxiety, and no profuse sweating, or heart palpitations.

The other day I tried the 36's again and didn't have the desired effect I once had. I had extreme heart palpitations through the day, and actually after I took it, I did have great focus and concentration for an hour or so but then I felt like total crap. I had a job interview, and I was even contemplating on not going because i felt so drained, unfocused, and drowsy. Very strange. Throughout the whole day I didn't really feel well.

The 18's def. don't give me any SE really, but one thing I am noticing is that the effects of the drug stop around mid afternoon. Like they totally cut out. My anxiety comes back, I lose focus. It tends to come and go for a bit, but def. puts out at the end. Before, when I started it, I never had this crash effect. So It is weird. Part of me is thinking maybe I do need to increase, but yet again the 36's did not give me a good effect.

I have an appt set up with a Psych on the 14th, so hopefully they might be able to help me out.

All I know is that in the beginning when taking them, I was getting a high. I felt a little too high on the dose, but I felt great. Had extreme focus, energy, and drive to do whatever. Then it kinda just died, now im used to this stuff. Not really sure where to go from here...

Old 05-07-2009, 07:33 AM   #6
(male)

chaseryder HB User

I am curious... is it normal to get that "high" speedy feeling in the beginning, and then to have things even out. It doesn't even really feel like I am on the drug anymore. Before I was sweating, doing things...now I can focus better, my mind isn't all over the place...

I assume this is normal?

Old 05-07-2009, 07:49 AM   #7
(female)

spamula HB User

Have you tried taking 18mg in the morning then 18mg before the 1st wears off? Just another suggestion.

Old 05-08-2009, 02:21 AM   #8
Senior Veteran
(male)

addprogrammer HB Useraddprogrammer HB Useraddprogrammer HB Useraddprogrammer HB Useraddprogrammer HB Useraddprogrammer HB Useraddprogrammer HB Useraddprogrammer HB Useraddprogrammer HB Useraddprogrammer HB Useraddprogrammer HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by chaseryder View Post
I am curious... is it normal to get that "high" speedy feeling in the beginning, and then to have things even out. It doesn't even really feel like I am on the drug anymore. Before I was sweating, doing things...now I can focus better, my mind isn't all over the place...

I assume this is normal?
Very normal. The way it suppose to work. One of the purposes of a very low startup dose is to avoid the high. It works against us. Most people experience the buzz some don't. The "don'ts" are the fortunate ones.

Bob

Old 05-12-2009, 05:51 AM   #9
(female)

spamula HB User

Again, Have you tried 18mg in the am and another 18mg before the other wears off? My sons Concerta wore off at 1ish in the afternoon until we upped it to 27, then 36mg He had to get used to it. The 36 lasts much longer.

Old 12-13-2009, 11:55 AM   #10
(female)

soldiergirl91w HB User

I myself started out on 18mg and then the doc moved me to 36 because it was wearing off around 4 or 5 pm. I am not so sure I like the higher dose either. I sweat and get almost flulike symptoms. I go back on the 16th and talk to the doc again. i think I may stick with the 18's. We will see what he says. Good luck to you as well.

Closed Thread