It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

ADD / ADHD Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-15-2009, 09:33 PM   #1
(female)

hunter2 HB User
Adderall makes me happy..that's a"bad" thing?

Before Adderall I was always negative, and my mood was constantly bad...I just had a terrible outlook on life and I gave up on myself. I also had a binge eating disorder since childhood. When I was prescribed Adderall this changed. I began to feel positive and happier for once in my life. My binge eating disorder has decreased incredibly- which is a miracle for me given the fact I was once near suicide due my eating disorder. Even certain problems I used to CONSTANTLY dwell on before seem somewhat insignificant to me. My only complaint is when I come down from Adderall - I feel even more depressed than before I took it. This makes me dread the night time because I know I will start feeling bad. I really wish the effects would last all day because I hate the major drop in my mood when I come off it.

I don't want to come off wrong and have people think that I am happy all the time and have no problems. Adderall doesn't cure every problem in life and it isn't some quick fix. But I actually like the person I am when I'm on medication. Some people assume it is a "bad thing" because Adderall gives some folks false happiness. Yet these same people are pro antidepressants which are also technically "false" mind altering drugs. I don't understand how when I say a stimulant makes me feel better, I am looked at suspiciously like it is a bad thing. Yet a person can feel better on antidepressants and it is considered ok and safe. I was on Prozac before and it didn't work for me. My cousin experienced awful side effects from antidepressants and even off of them she has head zap pains, and 60 extra pounds on her!

I am not addicted to or abusing Adderall, I am actually taking less than the average person on it. One thing that did somewhat bother me though, was last month I had to go 4 days without taking it. When this happened I felt awful. I was moody, depressed, negative, and I started binge eating again (due to emotions, not lack of food). So I guess in a way I feel like if I don't take it every day- my day will just be terrible. It causes a domino affect when I stopped taking it and instantly all of my symptoms came back full force. I don't like this but it's no different than a person depending upon an antidepressant everyday.

So do you guys think that being happier on Adderall is a bad thing? I don't mean abnormally happy, I just mean I don't feel bad constantly anymore. My mood isn't the only reason why I am taking it by the way.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 05-16-2009, 03:25 AM   #2
Senior Veteran
(male)

addprogrammer HB Useraddprogrammer HB Useraddprogrammer HB Useraddprogrammer HB Useraddprogrammer HB Useraddprogrammer HB Useraddprogrammer HB Useraddprogrammer HB Useraddprogrammer HB Useraddprogrammer HB Useraddprogrammer HB User
Re: Adderall makes me happy..that's a"bad" thing?

Quote:
Originally Posted by hunter2 View Post
So do you guys think that being happier on Adderall is a bad thing? I don't mean abnormally happy, I just mean I don't feel bad constantly anymore. My mood isn't the only reason why I am taking it by the way.
A bad thing? Are you kidding? It's how we are suppose to feel. It comes from feeling in control of our thoughts and emotions hence lives. Yeah, I have some bad feel-crappy days too. I work through them rather than being paralyzed by them so I don't feel bad constantly either.

Of course, there are some folk who love being miserable. That's the type that feel it's a bad thing. They have this "rule" that feeling good is bad and if you feel good must be because you are "wreaked" because that's the only way they ever felt good.

Funny thing, just thought of it. I feel good. Haven't taken my Adderall yet. How can that be?

Bob

Old 05-16-2009, 03:18 PM   #3
Senior Veteran
(female)

CharBerry HB UserCharBerry HB UserCharBerry HB UserCharBerry HB UserCharBerry HB UserCharBerry HB UserCharBerry HB User

I can understand where you're coming from. I hate the feeling of when I get low on meds or even worse.....running out for couple of days. This is the part that makes me feel "guilty" for feeling good on meds. Maybe that is a part of what you're worrying about. Other than that, I think you should tell yourself that it's an illness like any other and you need meds to control it. I'm bad about thinking that meds are going to make me feel good every single day even if I'm really sick, which we know is not the case.

So glad you've found something that helps you so feel good!

CharBerry

Old 05-16-2009, 08:51 PM   #4
(female)

hunter2 HB User

Ok good I'm glad I'm not alone in this.

There have been many times where Ive said Adderall has uplifted my mood and people always turn that into a negative thing. They say that it's not "supposed to" be used for that. But given the fact adhd can cause emotional problems, I saw nothing wrong with that.

Old 05-18-2009, 08:06 PM   #5
(male)

psukid13 HB User

I wouldn't think too much into it. The ADD meds make you become the "real" you. I noticed that I use to be VERY introverted prior to being diagnosed with ADD and after I started taking Ritalin, I have been more extroverted and I love it. People I use to work with noticed the change. I am more social and friendier.

Old 05-19-2009, 02:31 AM   #6
(male)

mike s HB User

Good to meet you hunter2 ! I'm mike s & usually post on the addiction board. I have questions about this med because my md put me on it today. Someone suggested I ck this board out & I'm glad I did. Our story is so familiar ! I've fought major depression for many yrs & was bulimic for 15yrs. Been on so many anti-dep. meds can't remember them all. For several months I've hardly been able to get out of the chair being so depressed which seem to lead to multiple booze binges ( I'm an alcoholic ). I realize it's just the first day but I haven't felt this good in ages ( maybe never ). My md is aware of my alcohol problem but we were at the end of our ropes to find some relief. My use will be closely monitored & if there's even the slightest sign of addiction the med will be pulled. I hope this lasts. Does it become less effective w/ time ? May I ask what dose you're on ? Any advice ? I've also heard of an extended release adderal which might help the evenings. How long have you been taking this med ? Any help is appreciated. Hope you continue to make progress. Sincerely, Mike

Last edited by Mod-S4; 07-26-2011 at 12:01 PM. Reason: removed quote

Old 05-19-2009, 09:47 AM   #7
Senior Veteran
(female)

index.html HB User

Take all the happiness you can legally get! Although Adderall may not "supposed to" be used to for mood enhancement (although it now occasionally is), it's not a side effect that we're going to complain about, is it?

There is one thing that you, hunter, and you, mike, have to be careful about. Many times stimulants initially cause a mild euphoria/happiness. It doesn't always last. When that lovely feeling fades, many people want to increase their dose to get it back. That is a slippery slope to addiction. Instead, you need to measure your medication's effectiveness by how well it treats your ADD symptoms. If your concentration is still improved but your mood no longer is, you do NOT need an increased dose.

Does that make sense?

Old 05-20-2009, 05:01 AM   #8
(female)

Sweetgirl HB User

Great topic. I've been on Adderall for 3 months. The results have been nothing short of fantastic. My depression lifted and I can think more clearly. It seems to hype up my anxiety a bit, so I'm still on 10 mg Lexapro.

Now, for the details. I take 10 mg of extended release in the morning. I was getting a crash mid-afternoon. My psych has me taking another 10 mg mid-morning, but I'm finding that I get uncomfortably "speedy" so I pour out half of the capsule (it doesn't come in 5mg doses). I also take 10 mg Lexapro in the morning.

I'm really not a big drug proponent and I believe in talk therapy (I'm going to school to be a therapist.) However, I do believe that some people need help with their brain chemistry so that they can approach talk therapy with a desire to make changes.

Last edited by Sweetgirl; 05-20-2009 at 05:15 AM.

Old 05-20-2009, 05:35 AM   #9
Senior Veteran
(male)

addprogrammer HB Useraddprogrammer HB Useraddprogrammer HB Useraddprogrammer HB Useraddprogrammer HB Useraddprogrammer HB Useraddprogrammer HB Useraddprogrammer HB Useraddprogrammer HB Useraddprogrammer HB Useraddprogrammer HB User

This is a great thread. Many keys issues are being addressed.

My experience: The medication without "talk therapy" is useless. "Talk therapy" without the medication is useless. A viable ADHD remediation plan is to put them together. Cognitive Behavorial Therapy works well for me. I found all other therapies ineffective producing at most some immediate results that were soon lost - most likely placebo effect.

Per Index's post, I experienced some mood enhancement when first on stimulants some 4 years ago now. It very little time, under a month, for the mood enhancement effect to dissapate. I've been on stimulants, now Adderall, since. In fact it was Index who alerted me to the possible danger. You're still top index, Index. And I'm still a bozo.

Bob

Last edited by Administrator; 05-20-2009 at 10:55 PM.

Old 05-20-2009, 07:03 AM   #10
(female)

greenapple HB User

Hi Hunter - Were you prescribed Adderall for ADD or binge eating? Is it ever prescribed for depressive disorders?

Old 05-20-2009, 03:18 PM   #11
(female)

hunter2 HB User

Hey mike I tried 4 other stimulants before Adderall which never worked for me. I was eventually put on generic Adderall which worked but yes it lost it's effect very fast. For the hell of it, I tried Barr Adderall and I am on 30 mg. So far I have been on it for about 4 or 5 months and I haven't had a problem with it being less effective..knock on wood. Although it's not going to be as strong as it is the first few times of taking it. I have been on Adderall XR which is the extended release and it was useless to me. It is very weak and makes you feel crazy with the constant ups and downs in your mood. To me Adderall IR and Adderall XR were night and day. IR is much stronger.

I think this pill can be a miracle for people with eating disorder..but olnly those with bulimia/binge eating. I think if an anorexic took it, it would only make them have more of an excuse to starve. I was mostly a non purging bulimic. Basically I'd binge eat on food but instead of throwing up, I would restrict my calories for days to make up for the binge. So although I've never been a drug addict/alcoholic..I understand 100% the addict mentality. It is a nightmare and my eating problems made me non functioning due to the depression it caused.

I am not exactly sure if this pill would be dangerous to take with a drinking problem. The thing is, my binge eating problem went away with this pill (except for some days when it wears off) which lead me to believe my eating disorder stemmed from ADHD all along. I'm not sure if you know why you became an alcoholic, but if you have ADHD than it may very well be why. So by taking this pill, the addictive urges may go away which could make your life much easier.

Last edited by Mod-S4; 07-26-2011 at 12:01 PM.

Old 05-20-2009, 03:28 PM   #12
(female)

hunter2 HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by greenapple View Post
Hi Hunter - Were you prescribed Adderall for ADD or binge eating? Is it ever prescribed for depressive disorders?
I went to a therapist and I was diagnosed with ADHD and depression due to ADHD. I wasn't told why they prescribed this to me but I am guessing ADHD. I know many people who were given it just for depression and it helped, some it made worse. It depends on the person but it can be prescribed for depression.

Old 05-20-2009, 03:36 PM   #13
(female)

hunter2 HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by index.html View Post
Take all the happiness you can legally get! Although Adderall may not "supposed to" be used to for mood enhancement (although it now occasionally is), it's not a side effect that we're going to complain about, is it?

There is one thing that you, hunter, and you, mike, have to be careful about. Many times stimulants initially cause a mild euphoria/happiness. It doesn't always last. When that lovely feeling fades, many people want to increase their dose to get it back. That is a slippery slope to addiction. Instead, you need to measure your medication's effectiveness by how well it treats your ADD symptoms. If your concentration is still improved but your mood no longer is, you do NOT need an increased dose.

Does that make sense?

It makes a lot of sense. What I was told was that ADHD can cause mood problems, especially in undiagnosed adults. It is usually mistaken for depression. At first I didn't get my hopes up because I thought the mood change was a result of a "high". But I have been on it for months, so I'm pretty sure it is improving my mood because a lifetime of ADHD made it terrible.

Old 05-21-2009, 01:41 AM   #14
(male)

mike s HB User

hunter2, Tx for your nice response. The first day the med give a nice lift. I actually became a bit productive. Sleeping naturally became a bit of a challange & didn't want to eat which was ok. I felt so much better but as an addict, I have a tendency to chase that initial rush so I have to be very careful. I hope things are going well for you, Mike

Last edited by mod-anon; 05-21-2009 at 04:43 AM. Reason: removed quote

Old 05-21-2009, 10:07 AM   #15
Senior Veteran
(female)

index.html HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by addprogrammer View Post
In fact it was Index who alerted me to the possible danger. You're still top index, Index. And I'm still a bozo.
Bob
You are too nice, Bob! You are not - nor have you ever been - a bozo! Stop talking trash about yourself!!!

hunter2 - you raise some interesting points. Certainly stimulants can be mood elevating beyond the initial mild euphoria when they are effective in treating ADD. After spending years struggling just to cope like other people do, it's got to feel good to be able to concentrate, to be able to complete tasks, to get a sense of accomplishment.

I personally saw this effect in my son back at the age of about 11 when we started him on Strattera and then Concerta. Up until that point, he was so incredibly hyper that none of the other kids would have anything to do with him. Of course it was mood-elevating and self-esteem building to finally have kids who would eat lunch with him. For him to finally get invited to a birthday party was a great day in our house! Until that point, he considered himself "weird" and "retarded" - talk about depressing.

Because I don't want this post to be too long, I'm going to split it in two.

Closed Thread