It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

ADD / ADHD Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-25-2009, 07:52 PM   #1
(female)

Mollyyy HB User
Vyvanse wearing off too quickly...?

I'm on 60mgs (three 20mg capsules) of Vyvanse for my ADD (executive dysfunction type... not sure if that makes a difference in this thread, but I'm just throwing that out there). I take them in the morning, at about 6:30, before school.
It takes about 40 minutes for me to actually feel the effects of it, and they're pretty good when I can feel them. My social anxiety goes down a ton, I have less triggers, I can focus, for the most part, on something when I need to. My mood is elevated and I'm wayyyyy less irritable and grouchy. I have a lot less negative thoughts. My little OCD tics go away as well, for the most part.
Overall it puts me in a very "chill" mood. Like... everything just feels "okay." It's a nice content feeling, in comparison to when I was prescribed with Adderall, and I got a euphoric rush (it worked way better than the Vyvanse in terms of concentration and anxiety, but it only worked every other day and the crash was too much for me).

Anyway.
My doc said that Vyvanse is time-released, and it should last about 12 hours. When I take it, I notice that it works for maybe the first two to three hours of intake, and then the effects taper off into not-so-good side effects. I become irritable and cranky, and it feels like I have no emotions. My motivation goes away, and nothing seems funny to me. I have to force myself to laugh and smile. Basically I become very robotic... and it's not enjoyable. A few days ago when it was wearing off after third period, I walked out of my classroom up to my friend who had this weird look on her face. When I looked at her (from looking down at the ground with anxiety) she said, "What's wrong with you? Are you sick or something?"
Apparently I wear the tapered side effects of Vyvanse on my face... haha. Or... something like that. I don't know. All I know is, I really don't like becoming a robot when it's wearing off.
And that's not even the main point of this thread.

What I'm asking is, why is it wearing off after like.. 3 hours, when it's supposed to last 12? It doesn't make any sense. I don't eat or drink anything with citric acid in it, so it's not that the medicine is metabolizing faster...
My parents and I have read around about opening the capsules and dissolving the actual meds in with a drink, and it says it's okay as long as you drink it right away.
I don't think it's because I dissolve it in with coke (the soda... as in, Coca Cola), because the first time I took Vyvanse I took it with a spoonful of applesauce (well... I guess that's citric... but it was literally just one bite) because I have trouble swallowing pills... and it still wore off within the first three hours of taking it.

What could be the reason for this? Do I need a higher dose?

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 05-25-2009, 10:36 PM   #2
Senior Veteran
(male)

Thunor HB UserThunor HB UserThunor HB UserThunor HB UserThunor HB UserThunor HB UserThunor HB UserThunor HB UserThunor HB UserThunor HB User
Re: Vyvanse wearing off too quickly...?

I've never used Vyvanase, so take this for what it's worth.

How long have you been taking this med? It appears from what I've read that irritability is one of the side effects, so I expect that one probably isn't going away, but depending on how long you've been on it, the effect may taper off.

I know you touched on this in your post, but stirring your Vyvanase into Coca-cola may not be the best idea. The instructions that I read online specifically recommend that it be stirred into water, and I'm wondering if the highly acidic nature of Coke may be an issue. You talk about the need to avoid citric acid, but it's important to note that the pH of Coke is somewhere in the 2.5 range, which is very strong. That said, it's still not as acidic as stomach acid, so who knows. I might recommend that you try it with water for a few days and see if that helps. Another thing to consider is that we all metabolize substances at different rates, and you may simply be one of those people that does not respond to Vyvanase.

I would recommend discussing your issues with your doctor to see if maybe a different med is better for you, or if perhaps they have some input regarding the acid question.

Old 05-25-2009, 10:53 PM   #3
(female)

Mollyyy HB User

Thanks for replying.

I've been taking it for about a week and a half. Not that long at all. My doctor also told me that I need to give Vyvanse a chance, and to not give up on it so quickly. She ALSO mentioned that for some people, it can take up to two/two and a half weeks before the full effects of it are felt. So I'm going to continue Vyvanse and see how things go...
I'll try taking it in water. I've read that Vyvanse doesn't really taste that bad, so it shouldn't be too much of a problem for me (I have horrible gag reflexes).

Also, before it starts wearing off, my irritability pretty much goes away. I'm normally extremely grouchy and irritable toward people. I think it's because of my anxiety and/or depression. Not sure. But Vyvanse makes me "chill out," and it makes it so I can actually think before I snap at people.
But if that's a side effect of it, I can manage that. The good things outweigh the bad.

Thanks again.

Old 05-26-2009, 06:20 AM   #4
Senior Veteran
(male)

addprogrammer HB Useraddprogrammer HB Useraddprogrammer HB Useraddprogrammer HB Useraddprogrammer HB Useraddprogrammer HB Useraddprogrammer HB Useraddprogrammer HB Useraddprogrammer HB Useraddprogrammer HB Useraddprogrammer HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thunor View Post
You talk about the need to avoid citric acid, but it's important to note that the pH of Coke is somewhere in the 2.5 range, which is very strong.
So that's why Coke strips car paint. Whoa!

Thu covered it all. I'll add what my shrink told me. "Rarely do extended release formulas work for as long as the manufacturer claims."
I think they use the one out of a 100 that experience 12 hour efficacy as the basis for their claim.

Vyance is yet another way to sell the ultra evil dextroamphetamine. Yes, Vyance acts as extended release. Dexadrine Spansules solved same problem 200 years ago. Please note that was a use of hyperbole.

Waiting could help. It isn't so much for plasma levels to stabilize as it is to give you a chance to figure out how to use your new found ability to focus. I for one experience increased focus without directly feeling the medicine.

Hmn, are you taking all three 20mg's at once? Why didn't doc prescribe the 60 mg version? Try spreading the pills out over the entire morning to early afternoon. You're burning the stuff fast enough. It won't keep you awake unless you take it within 6 hours or so before hitting the hay.

Something ain't right here? Am I miss-reading all 3 20's at once?

Bob

Old 05-26-2009, 04:51 PM   #5
Senior Veteran
(male)

Thunor HB UserThunor HB UserThunor HB UserThunor HB UserThunor HB UserThunor HB UserThunor HB UserThunor HB UserThunor HB UserThunor HB User

Yeah Bob, between the extreme acidity, the high Fructose Corn Syrup and the complete lack of nutritional value, cola is one of the worst things you can put in your body that is not already illegal. *Hypocritically takes another swig of Pepsi*

I think, though I may be corrected, that when they judge the length of efficacy of sustained release meds, they base their claims on excretion, not actual reported effects. Sort of like: Subject X excreted Y amount of dextroamphetamine by the 12 hour mark and thus the concentration should now be too low to be effective. Judging effects is likely deemed too subjective to be . . . scientific.

Old 05-26-2009, 06:06 PM   #6
(female)

Mollyyy HB User

I agree. I only take/took it with soda because the fizziness of the carbonation sort of numbs my mouth, so I can't taste the actual Vyvanse.
And speaking of taking it with soda... I tried taking it with water this morning. Couldn't do it. My gag reflexes are just too bad. And, feeling pressured to get out the door for school in time this morning, I just took it with Coke again... yeah, I know, stupid me. I'm going to just stop taking it with that and maybe try milk or something. Unless that's not a good idea. But isn't milk more on the base side of a pH scale? (I'm not too educated about this stuff, I'm only 16...)

Well, anyway, yesterday I took 60 mgs in the afternoon (dumb idea) so I could focus on my english essay I had to do. It helped a lot, from what I could tell, with my concentration and normally irritable mood. I was very chilled out, like I said before. I also managed to take a shower in about 30 minutes, which is record time for me, because usually I just stand there with the water running and stare off into space. Then my OCD kicks in when I'm washing the shampoo/conditioner out of my hair - I always feel like I never get all of it out. So that was just a nice little bonus for me. But anyway... all was good until about 8 or 9 pm. I was having heart palpitations, I got a horrible headache, terrible nausea, depression, tremors, and what somebody else on this board described as "lightning strikes" in your brain. Which, by the way they described it, are weird little "seizures." Now... I have Juvenile Myoclonic Epilepsy. I know what a seizure feels like for me, and this was different from a seizure. It was more like, I would be talking, and in the middle of a sentence I would sort of... choke on my words and make this weird hiccuping sound, almost like when you choke on your spit in the middle of saying something. But the weird thing about it was that I got the sensation of something coming up my throat and being pushed out of my mouth. Not so much like the feeling of vomiting though. And it wasn't necessarily uncomfortable... it was just... odd, and kind of annoying.

So, continuing my experience with last night...
My blood sugar was low from not eating anything (my nausea is too intense to even THINK about food while I'm on Vyvanse) for hours, but I couldn't bring it up without gagging and almost throwing up every time I tried to put food in my mouth. So that added to my crash.
I literally only got about an hour and a half of sleep last night because I was wide awake. My heart was pounding as well, so that didn't help either. I kept finding myself breaking out into cold sweats. Not sure of the reason for that... but it was extremely uncomfortable. Basically, it just felt like hell to me.
So, this morning, when I woke up from my hour of sleep, I felt exactly the same way, just with less of a headache. I managed to eat half of an omelet, but even that was hard to down without feeling sick to my stomach.
After that I took two Vyvanse, and I really didn't feel any better or worse during school. Nothing changed. I felt "crashy" all day, and I still sort of do. I went to the nurse's office and she took my blood pressure. Apparently my heart rate was 130, which isn't normal at ALL (as most of you should know). So I left before the last two periods of the day because I felt like complete crap.
I actually feel hungry now, I can feel it in my stomach. But nothing sounds appetizing at ALL to me. I try eating something and I can manage to chew and swallow it, but it's like my throat is repelling food/drinks. I still feel nauseas even though I feel really hungry. This is exactly what happened with Adderall.
I thought Vyvanse was supposed to have a smoother comedown, but it's just about identical to the comedown of Adderall, which was horrible.

I'm not sure if I should take any Vyvanse tomorrow morning.
I'm starting to get scared because I think I'm beginning to self-medicate. I hate saying it, but I'm pretty desperate for relief from my problems (ADD, anxiety, OCD, depression...), and I love stimulants when they work, it's just... now, the bad seems to outweigh the good, in terms of Vyvanse. It used to be the other way around.

This is making me so frustrated.

The following user gives a hug of support to Mollyyy:
crazyhays (01-11-2012)
Old 05-26-2009, 08:02 PM   #7
Senior Veteran
(male)

addprogrammer HB Useraddprogrammer HB Useraddprogrammer HB Useraddprogrammer HB Useraddprogrammer HB Useraddprogrammer HB Useraddprogrammer HB Useraddprogrammer HB Useraddprogrammer HB Useraddprogrammer HB Useraddprogrammer HB User

Mollyyyyy,

Take the meds as prescribed.

Your parents should be administering your meds.

Do NOT take all 3 together. That is not your doctor's intent or you would have 60mg Vyvanse. I'm serious, man, you are playing with fire of the most deadly type.

I really wish I could rat on you.

Old 05-26-2009, 08:09 PM   #8
(female)

Mollyyy HB User

Gahhhh, I know, I know. That's what I mean about the self-medicating thing...

Well, Vyvanse is out of the picture now anyway. My doc called us back and said to stop taking it because it obviously isn't working for me. I think I'm one of those people that doesn't respond positively to stimulants. I'm either going to try Concerta or Straterra next... let's hope one of those works.
And this time I'll follow the doc's orders. Haha.

Old 05-26-2009, 09:58 PM   #9
Senior Veteran
(male)

It sounds like you and your doc made a good decision. Take it easy and don't rush things, believe me, I know the frustration of waiting on meds, but at 16 you have forever ahead of you, not like us old folks here.

Keep making smart decisions. Take it slow and find the right med, and things will work.

Old 08-16-2010, 03:52 PM   #10
(male)

RANDOL HB UserRANDOL HB UserRANDOL HB UserRANDOL HB User

Hey there, Its possible you would need a higher dose or just take the Vyvanse in the morning,at noon and when you get home? I do that with my son and it works for him but he only gets his 40mg total in the morning then after dinner.

Old 08-17-2010, 04:26 PM   #11
(female)

jf0417 HB User

I'm on Vyvanse, and I've been told that breaking the capsule and taking it that way makes it a little less effective...but that could actually be a lie. I'm not a professional though, so that could not be true at all.

I took 30mg Vyvanse for a month and it got to be too weak after around 2 weeks and it didn't work after that. I was upped to 40mg and that's worked for me since then. But, it wore off so quickly when the dosage was too low that it wasn't worth taking.

Also, the Coke is a bad idea because you really shouldn't have too much caffeine when you are on a stimulant like Vyvanse. It's bad for the heart.

Closed Thread