It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

ADD / ADHD Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-26-2009, 01:37 PM   #1
(female)

hunter2 HB User
Buspirone with Adderall?

I'm on 30mg of Adderall 2 times a day. I was just prescribed 5 mg of Buspirone to take 2 times a day as well...is this even safe? Adderall is supposed to stimulate me, and I think Buspirone is meant to do the opposite. I am confused as to when to take these pills.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 06-26-2009, 04:10 PM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

Snoopy61 HB UserSnoopy61 HB UserSnoopy61 HB UserSnoopy61 HB UserSnoopy61 HB UserSnoopy61 HB UserSnoopy61 HB UserSnoopy61 HB UserSnoopy61 HB UserSnoopy61 HB UserSnoopy61 HB User
Re: Buspirone with Adderall?

Buspirone (Buspar) is to treat anxiety. Adderall treats ADD.

Two different meds for 2 different issues. They can be taken together.

However, ADD meds can cause anxiety in some people. If you had not dealt with anxiety before Adderall I would be suspicious of Adderall as the cause of your anxiety.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 06-27-2009, 05:46 AM   #3
Senior Veteran
(male)

addprogrammer HB Useraddprogrammer HB Useraddprogrammer HB Useraddprogrammer HB Useraddprogrammer HB Useraddprogrammer HB Useraddprogrammer HB Useraddprogrammer HB Useraddprogrammer HB Useraddprogrammer HB Useraddprogrammer HB User

Snoopy,

I've read with interest Hunter's previous posts because I felt we shared a common problem but with different causes. I'm fairly certain that in Hunter's case Adderall is not the culprit. I acknowledge that if no anxiety before Adderall, Adderall has the smoking gun in hand.

Hunter,

We both suffered from wicked Adderall crashes. How are you now on 60mg?

I had no depressive/anxious feelings with my crashes. I'm now pretty sure that Adderall itself was my villian.

In your case, I assumed that "break through" depression and anxiety was a factor. I think Buspiron is a very wise choice for you.

Buspiron does not work immediately like Valium and other anti-anxiety medications. It takes several weeks for the effects of Buspiron to become noticable. Buspiron must be taken daily but I believe time of day taken makes little difference.

Relief from Buspiron is worth waiting for. It has very few side effects and risks compared to Valium, Xanax, and other meds in those classes. It seems like everyone fears addiction to Adderall. I fear addiction to Valium. I wouldn't take Valium if my toes were hanging over the ledge on top of the Empire State Building. I'd rather go splat than die from withdrawals - a very real Valium withdrawal possibility. Buspiron has shown no potential for addiction or tolerance. You may have to up the dose for the first month or two, but after that, the dose stays put without loss of efficacy.

Smart doc you got.

I'm so glad you didn't try any of my dumb ideas.

Bob

Old 06-27-2009, 08:32 AM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)

Snoopy61 HB UserSnoopy61 HB UserSnoopy61 HB UserSnoopy61 HB UserSnoopy61 HB UserSnoopy61 HB UserSnoopy61 HB UserSnoopy61 HB UserSnoopy61 HB UserSnoopy61 HB UserSnoopy61 HB User

addprogrammer,

I will admit I don't know the stories as I have only recently started to visit this forum.

However, I have a very good understanding of ADD, anxiety and the medications used for both.

I take Adderall. I have also taken Buspar.

Everyone will react differently to medications and for me buspar did absolutely nothing.

For anxiety/panic attacks I much prefer Klonopin which is in the same category as Valium. I'm not addicted to Klonopin and have been using it for 6 years on an as needed basis.

Adderall has actually helped with some (not all) of my anxiety which I find quite interesting, however, other ADD meds such as Vyvanse have increased the anxiety.

Just a different perspective

Old 06-27-2009, 05:28 PM   #5
Senior Veteran
(male)

addprogrammer HB Useraddprogrammer HB Useraddprogrammer HB Useraddprogrammer HB Useraddprogrammer HB Useraddprogrammer HB Useraddprogrammer HB Useraddprogrammer HB Useraddprogrammer HB Useraddprogrammer HB Useraddprogrammer HB User

Snoppy,

You posted something on "life with adhd's" thread that I initially perceived as unbalanced. After a more careful read, I changed my position to "couldn't be more balanced." Hands down, bar none, your post was most meaningful - to the effect, "trust your motherly instincts." Even a dumb male like me knows no one knows the kid better than Mom. The doctor certainly doesn't, not by a long shot. I'll go with Mom's take every time over bozo doctor's.

I was trying not to make the same mistake twice. I was trying this time to tell you I respect your knowledge and my thoughts were in addition (not opposition) to yours. Please know I respect you and your posts.

I also know that I can be a tad bit opinionated and a whole lot impulsive. I working on it. Bear with me.

Context is everything. Sometimes, especially over the Internet, context gets lost and the entire meaning goes with it. My context? I once was an addict. It is long ago enough that I don't say "recovering addict." Maybe I should. To this day, I don't trust myself with Schedule II meds. I gave my wife totalitarian, dictatorial control over the safe keeping and dispensing of my Dexedrine - was Adderall a few days back. I do not run around craving speed. I just know what can happen in a moment of weakness during one of "those" days when I feel like manure. I also know what rebellion against the dictator brings which keeps me safe. You know, women have this ..., hmn, better not go there.

Valium feels just wonderful to me. That is why I won't take it - not even once. I can't risk it, especially since, for me, there are many other meds that work as well without the addiction risk. Frankly, I much rather get re-addicted to speed. After a virtual non-stop two year long meth spree, I simply walked away and suffered no more than about three days of the best sleep ever. It took rehab to shed the psychological craving. Cold-turkey after a two year Valium spree will get you a ride in a hurst. No rehab needed.

Dumb opinionated me. Yes, many people safely take Valium and it works wonders for them.

Let's be friends.

Hunter, please tell if the "crash" has smoothed out for you.

Bob

Old 06-27-2009, 05:51 PM   #6
Senior Veteran
(female)

addprogrammer,

You precieved something I said as "unbalanced" - I find this extremely funny.

I can also be opinionated, if we butt heads at times I'm good with that

I am going to start a new thread so as not to take this thread off topic.

Old 06-27-2009, 06:11 PM   #7
(female)

hunter2 HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by addprogrammer View Post
Snoopy,

I've read with interest Hunter's previous posts because I felt we shared a common problem but with different causes. I'm fairly certain that in Hunter's case Adderall is not the culprit. I acknowledge that if no anxiety before Adderall, Adderall has the smoking gun in hand.

Hunter,

We both suffered from wicked Adderall crashes. How are you now on 60mg?

I had no depressive/anxious feelings with my crashes. I'm now pretty sure that Adderall itself was my villian.

In your case, I assumed that "break through" depression and anxiety was a factor. I think Buspiron is a very wise choice for you.

Buspiron does not work immediately like Valium and other anti-anxiety medications. It takes several weeks for the effects of Buspiron to become noticable. Buspiron must be taken daily but I believe time of day taken makes little difference.

Relief from Buspiron is worth waiting for. It has very few side effects and risks compared to Valium, Xanax, and other meds in those classes. It seems like everyone fears addiction to Adderall. I fear addiction to Valium. I wouldn't take Valium if my toes were hanging over the ledge on top of the Empire State Building. I'd rather go splat than die from withdrawals - a very real Valium withdrawal possibility. Buspiron has shown no potential for addiction or tolerance. You may have to up the dose for the first month or two, but after that, the dose stays put without loss of efficacy.

Smart doc you got.

I'm so glad you didn't try any of my dumb ideas.

Bob
Thanks a lot aadprogrammer. You always seem to know your stuff

Last edited by hunter2; 06-27-2009 at 06:11 PM.

Old 06-27-2009, 07:39 PM   #8
Senior Veteran
(female)

Quote:
Originally Posted by addprogrammer View Post
Snoppy,
I was trying not to make the same mistake twice. I was trying this time to tell you I respect your knowledge and my thoughts were in addition (not opposition) to yours. Please know I respect you and your posts.
Thank you, addprogrammer.

The meaning of the written word can be misunderstood.

No opinion is dumb...it's just an opinion and the reader can agree, disagree or just move on and ignore the whole thing.

You have a very valid reason for your opinion on valium and I do agree Valium is addictive. Some can handle the Benzo's and some can't. I have heard my fair share of stories about those that can't handle Benzos and the withdrawl effects.

I have seen what addiction to prescription drugs do to a person. I saw this when I was about 12 years old and swore I would NEVER go down that road.

I am glad to hear you know what you need to do to keep your addiction undercontrol. Your wife must be very special.

Closed Thread