It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

ADD / ADHD Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-23-2009, 08:18 AM   #1
Senior Veteran
(male)

addprogrammer HB Useraddprogrammer HB Useraddprogrammer HB Useraddprogrammer HB Useraddprogrammer HB Useraddprogrammer HB Useraddprogrammer HB Useraddprogrammer HB Useraddprogrammer HB Useraddprogrammer HB Useraddprogrammer HB User
What Causes ADHD?

A new book "What Causes ADHD?: Understanding What Goes Wrong and Why" by Joel T. Nigg PhD is now available.

The reviews indicate that "What Causes ADHD?" is worth a read.

<removed>

I think most of us knew about the large difference between Adult ADHD and the ADHD that children experience. The "developmental context" causes the same disorder to be experienced differently. "Developmental" variables influence how the disorder should be medically managed. One size med and/or therapy does not fit all.

<removed>

[... ] I cut out "highlights causal heterogeneity" because I thought it confusing. I couldn't determine whether the phrase applied to the cause of the ADHD disorder or the "diverse symptom clusters." It applies to the symptoms. "Causal heterogeneity" indicates the different symptoms in the "diverse symptom clusters" do have a "casual" relationship even though different and diverse. ADHD and ADD is an example. The "diverse symptom clusters" go far beyond the hyperactivity difference alone.

Dr. Daniel Amen recognized diverse symptom clusters and diverse ADHD causes ten, twelve years ago. Glad the know the mainstreamers are catching up. "One size med and/or therapy does not fit all" is again our relevancy.

The diversity of symptoms can make it difficult or impossible to recognize ADHD by many who have it - often for decades as in my case. I suspect the opposite is true also - think we have ADHD when we don't.

<removed>

I certainly experience more than attention problems alone. The degree to which the five systems are affected could be part of the "diverse symptom clusters" reason.

Guess what? One size med and/or therapy can not fit all becaue of the many underlying ADHD caustive differences that result in the diversity of symptoms.

ADHD, particularly Adult ADHD, is not always easy to get under control for same reasons.

"What Causes ADHD?: Understanding What Goes Wrong and Why" just may fill in a few more variables that enable me/us to get a better handle on the complex ADHD beast.

Bob

Last edited by mod-anon; 07-24-2009 at 07:44 PM. Reason: Please do not copy from other sources.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 07-24-2009, 09:03 PM   #2
Senior Veteran
(male)

Thunor HB UserThunor HB UserThunor HB UserThunor HB UserThunor HB UserThunor HB UserThunor HB UserThunor HB UserThunor HB UserThunor HB User
Re: What Causes ADHD?

Thanks Bob! I'll add this book to my reading list, though I have to admit that list is rather long and I'm getting through it at a snail's pace.

I'm seeing my shrink again in a little over a week, I'm hoping to broach the subject of CBT with him, though we're still fiddling with the meds, so we'll see.

Closed Thread