It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

ADD / ADHD Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-06-2009, 12:36 AM   #1
(male)

Craigy HB User
Choline & Inositol for ADD (the Jose Conseco effect?)

I was prescribed this by a naturopath but I have one big fear. Since Inositol is naturally made in the body, I fear taking it for a long period of time may lead my body to make less of it on its own.

I have heard this to be true in other scenarios (testosterone ala Jose Conseco). Am I completely foolish? I also read that it has some anti-depressive traits (im not depressed) and is crucial to hair being grown on your head, so if this throws my body out of the loop, it will really suck.

Thanks for reading this please help me with my decision by giving me some info on this.

Old 08-06-2009, 05:42 PM   #2
Senior Veteran
(male)

Thunor HB UserThunor HB UserThunor HB UserThunor HB UserThunor HB UserThunor HB UserThunor HB UserThunor HB UserThunor HB UserThunor HB User
Re: Choline & Inositol for ADD (the Jose Conseco effect?)

I honestly can't speak for Inositol specifically, but I can tell you that your fear is well founded, and it's worth more research before taking this suppliment.

This effect is why doctors don't like to prescribe insulin for type II diabetes until any other options have been exhausted, because once insulin supplimentation is started, insulin production in the body ceases, and the patient is dependent on insulin shots for life.

Another example is in steroid use, as you stated. Testosterone production is reduced or eliminated when steroids are present, which is why coming off a cycle many users tend to grow breasts . . . the body isn't producing testosterone but continues to produce estrogen, and the breasts start to develop.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 09-13-2009, 05:33 PM   #3
(female)

greencandy HB User
Re: Choline & Inositol for ADD (the Jose Conseco effect?)

This website has a table of common foods high in choline.
http://lpi.oregonstate.edu/infocenter/othernuts/choline/
In college I nearly lived on the foods in the table.

I also ate a lot of beans, brown rice, and bananas, and blackstrap molasses, love that stuff. and raisins. and peanuts. which are all high in the B vitamin inositol.

I am convinced it did help with adhd because I got my degree and that is a miracle.
I also was taking lecithin, fish oil, and B-stress vitamins every day.

I still find it helps me a lot when I pay attention to food and choose those rich in choline, EFAs, and B vitamins. I wasn't diagnosed with adhd until age 40, but I was always pretty sensitive to certain foods either helping or harming my ability to focus, concentrate, remember things, be alert, and generally function well. I hope you can eat some of these foods and see if it helps any.

I also suspect that nutrients that compete with the good nutrients, like trans-fats compete with essential fatty acids, can interfere with a person's best functioning even if they do include some of the good stuff in their diet. At least for me, it seems that way.

I hope you find the optimal results for your add and tell us on here what works for you.
Best wishes!

Closed Thread