It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

ADD / ADHD Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-24-2009, 07:59 PM   #1
(female)

happy4us HB User
Intuniv experience - anyone?

Just wondering what experiences you have incurred with the new drug Intuniv / GXR with your teen child.

Thanks,
Rhonda

Old 12-02-2009, 04:30 PM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

Brocallie HB UserBrocallie HB UserBrocallie HB UserBrocallie HB UserBrocallie HB User
Re: Intuniv experience - anyone?

I have a starter pack and script on the way. Plan to start Dec 12. Are you all using it?

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 12-30-2009, 10:44 AM   #3
(female)

welcome65 HB User

I am a 44 yr old female with a VERY bad case of ADHD. My doctor put me on Intuniv about a month ago. I also take Adderral ( 60mg/day). Intuniv has REALLY helped me with the aggressive/quick to get frustrated aspect of ADHD. It has made me calmer...not so Hyperactive. I still have my energy but I FEEL calmer...it does not address the 'attention' portion of ADHD but certainly helps my frustration level. I really like it. I hope it helps your teen!

Kristin

Old 02-20-2010, 07:39 PM   #4
(female)

happy4us HB User

Well, we started the teen on the Intuniv starter pack in December with the intention of moving up to correct dose (4mg for size) in January. That change was delayed when another health issue occurred that had to be addressed first.

So, we finally got to the 4mg dose of Intuniv this week. We haven't seen much of a difference yet. Does anyone have an idea of how long to try it before we make a decision as to whether to continue it or not? I will say that we changed the dose at a time when his frustration/anger was at it's highest so I wonder if that could be playing into it or if 5 nights of taking it is just not enough. Guess time will tell.

If anyone has experience as to how long it took to see results please share that information with us. Thanks!

Old 02-21-2010, 07:03 AM   #5
Senior Veteran
(female)

Brocallie HB UserBrocallie HB UserBrocallie HB UserBrocallie HB UserBrocallie HB User

We've been using it since early December and LOVE LOVE LOOOOOOVE it. My dd takes 3mg. She does still use her Concerta, but we no longer have the horrible mornings/late evenings that we used to have when the Concerta would wear off. The impulsivity and defiance are also WAY down.

Intuniv is usually taken in the morning, so it has a chance to work all day and won't interfere with sleep. However, people are experimenting with it in several ways--morning/night and morning AND night have all been done.

Good luck!

The Following User Says Thank You to Brocallie For This Useful Post:
Abuadigray (04-27-2011)
Old 03-19-2010, 07:34 PM   #6
(female)

WMac HB User

Hi... my 13 year old son was taken off of Vyvanse 80mg and introduced to Intuniv. Today is his second dose (he began at 1mg daily for the lst week then we go to 2mg for the 2nd week and then 3mg for 30 days).

I will be glad to keep you update re: his progress if you like!

Old 03-21-2010, 07:06 PM   #7
(female)

happy4us HB User

I've heard others say they had terrific experiences with Intuniv - but that's not the case for us. One week after starting the 4mg dose I had to take son back to dr for major outburst/anger/rage. Total defiance! Loss of interest in all things - friends, family, fun times, etc. We had seen anger/frustration before - but never like this!

Dr. immediately had us begin weaning son off - but not fast enough. Horrible experience for my son. Worst days of his entire life! He said all his emotions were numbed except anger.

I am wondering if it was due to a reaction between other prescriptions, OTC, or vitamins/supplements he takes. ??

Hope no one else has this reaction.

Last edited by happy4us; 03-21-2010 at 07:13 PM.

Closed Thread