It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

ADD / ADHD Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-21-2010, 06:07 AM   #1
(female)

chesapeake girl HB User
My dr. just prescribed ritalin, but

it puts me to sleep and then gives me the munchies. Is this normal?

Old 02-21-2010, 06:21 PM   #2
Senior Veteran
(male)

addprogrammer HB Useraddprogrammer HB Useraddprogrammer HB Useraddprogrammer HB Useraddprogrammer HB Useraddprogrammer HB Useraddprogrammer HB Useraddprogrammer HB Useraddprogrammer HB Useraddprogrammer HB Useraddprogrammer HB User
Re: My dr. just prescribed ritalin, but

Quote:
Originally Posted by chesapeake girl View Post
Normal? No. Common? Let's go with NOT uncommon. The shrinks call what you are experiencing "paradoxical reactions." My blood pressure fell from borderline high 130/90 to 128/78 when I started Adderall and has remained in the normal range since ... another example of a paradoxical reaction. Adderall does not give me the munchies but neither does it curb my appetite. I wish that I experienced the common Adderall side effect of appetite suppression. Glad I don't experience the paradoxical "munchies." Last thing I need.

Did Adderall lower my BP? Sort of. Indirectly. It gives me a sense of control over my life which is a whole lot less stressful than my former "what is going to blow up next" mental state. Less stress, lower BP.

Ritalin is indirectly causing your sleepiness and munchieness. Tell you doctor. Hopefully your doctor understands how common paradoxical reactions are with brain medications. There are at least three possible solutions.

1. Wait out the storm. Your side effects may diminish or vanish with time.

2. Dose may need adjustment.

3. Ritalin is the wrong med for you. Try another. Crazy-med paydirt on first choice is rare. Takes a little trial and error to find the optimal medication(s) and dose for each individual.

Bob

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 08-19-2010, 02:37 PM   #3
(female)

Tvani1976 HB User

It could be, until you get used to taking it.

Old 08-19-2010, 04:58 PM   #4
Senior Veteran
(male)

Thunor HB UserThunor HB UserThunor HB UserThunor HB UserThunor HB UserThunor HB UserThunor HB UserThunor HB UserThunor HB UserThunor HB User

Another possibility to consider is that the medication is waking up your brain enough to realize that you're sleep and calorie deficient. This happens often with ADHDers, we fall asleep on stimulants because we're not getting sufficient sleep in the first place.

Old 08-27-2010, 06:40 PM   #5
(male)

)mike( HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by chesapeake girl View Post
Ritalin causes both appetite suppression and difficulty sleeping. There is a rebound into these states (sleepy and munchies) when the drug has worn off.

Closed Thread