It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

ADD / ADHD Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-24-2010, 01:27 PM   #1
(female)

carrieannescott HB User
Have teen with extreme anger issues, new to this need advice?

<referencing older thread:
http://www.healthboards.com/boards/showthread.php?t=637444>

I am the mother of a 14 year old daughter that was professionally diagnosed at the age of 8 years old. We mutually agreed that we should would try the summer without her 20 mg daily dose of methylphenandate, the summer seemed to go well but as soon as started highschool, things started to take a turn for the worst. It started off as depression, feeling of inadequacy, and the usual lack of concentration, the overeating, the messy room etc but since October has developed into extreme anger with the lashing out at me, her mother. She began to scream and kick holes in walls, she has become aggressive with her 5 yr old & 10 year old brothers. And the vulgar language and name-calling. We used to have a very close respectful relationship but now she hates me, swears at me and most recently has physically attacked me on numerous occasions. This has translated into dillusions as well because she believes everyone is against her and school and friends are far more important than her family. She is currently staying with a relative and wants no contact with us. I have had her tested for every mood-inhibitive disorder such as diabetes and thyroid condition. She refuses to go back on the medication so I am at a real loss on how to handle the situation. I feel like I have lost her. She is not on drugs, alcohol or experiencing any sexual behaviors so I don't know why we are having such a hard time with her.

Last edited by mod-anon; 02-24-2010 at 11:21 PM. Reason: starting a new thread with this post.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 02-25-2010, 08:31 AM   #2
Facilitator
(female)

Titchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB User
Re: Have teen with extreme anger issues, new to this need advice?

I'm sorry for your situation. My nephew had a very similar experience. In the final analysis, the decision whether or not to take his meds was not given over to him...he was not "of age" so his parents insisted and stood their ground...even sending off to a live in program for several months. Now at almost 17 he understands this is something he will have to do most likely for the rest of his life. He's not perfect even on the meds - but at 16, who expects them to be anyway????

Old 02-25-2010, 03:32 PM   #3
Senior Veteran
(female)

marisuela HB Usermarisuela HB Usermarisuela HB Usermarisuela HB Usermarisuela HB Usermarisuela HB Usermarisuela HB Usermarisuela HB Usermarisuela HB User

Do her violent outbursts happen 24-7, or is there a pattern? Could they be PMS/hormone related at all?

I have ADD and your daughter sounds a lot like I was at that age (only I wasn't diagnosed with ADD until my 20's). I had anger issues that started around the same time puberty hit, so we knew the two were related and thought it was just kind of normal "teenager going through puberty" behavior. I finally started noticing a pattern with my outbursts, once my cycle kind of regulated itself. I had one or two days one week before my period started, where I was just HORRIBLE and angry and then a day where I was really emotional and depressed, then a couple of okay days, then my period would start and I was a horrible, angry, emotional mess for the entire length of my period, which would last 7-8 days, and then usually I was moody for the next couple of days after that. Then I might have a decent few days before it started all over again. I really never got a break!

Once I got on adderall for my ADD, most of those horrible, angry, emotional symptoms eased up. I was moody and still followed the same pattern, but not to the extreme that it was before.

Oh yeah, and I would've eaten myself to death, had I not gotten on adderall, too! I could sit and eat an entire large pizza in one sitting (stuffed crust!), and then polish off a pint of ice cream for dessert! I was a comfort eater and ate most, when I was hormonal and depressed.

ANYWAY..... just something you might try to pay attention to, if you haven't already.....

Old 02-26-2010, 07:10 AM   #4
(female)

carrieannescott HB User

Thanks to everyone's responses. Yes initially I considered the mood swings to be hormonal but once it escalated into violent tempers we grew increasingly concerned. We looked at every possible mood inhibiting problem and had her tested for diabetes and thyroid. It was my Mom who suggested that ADHD in teenagers can cause erratic behaviours after watching a documentary on the subject. My daughter refuses to take the medication methylphenandate and we are now looking into counselling. Just yesterday, I found an interesting article published by the Government of Canada about Parent Abuse when googling more information about ADHD in teens. It described teens with ADHD, bipolar or conduct disorder trying to take control over the parent (mostly the mother) by demonstrating psychological, physical and financial abuse. It made me feel relieved in some ways because it validated everything we have been going through with her although I am not aware of any support groups conquering this issue.

Closed Thread