It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

ADD / ADHD Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-19-2010, 04:28 PM   #1
(female)

writermom333 HB User
Rx decision for 9 yr old

Hello,

I just had an eval meeting with dd's teachers and school psychologists and the consensus is ADD. She has also been receiving extra tutoring for 2 years for dyslexia/dysgraphia. She is a hard worker and is very well behaved--ADHD is not an issue, either. But she has trouble with distraction/focus in the classroom--she does MUCH better with one-on-one.

Other than struggling with her schoolwork, we have absolutley NO trouble with her at home. She is happy, obedient and bright....but she is about to fail 3rd grade :^(

We know it's time to use RX...now the question is: which one? Is there a better choice for ADD when ADHD is not present? I don't want to treat for something that is not a problem. I am also interested in possibly using natural remedies--any recommendations? Can they be used with the RX so we might have a lighter dose of the prescription?

I appreciate any advice you can give...

Blessings, Debbi

Old 03-19-2010, 06:37 PM   #2
Senior Veteran
(male)

jonnstar HB Userjonnstar HB Userjonnstar HB Userjonnstar HB Userjonnstar HB Userjonnstar HB Userjonnstar HB Userjonnstar HB Userjonnstar HB Userjonnstar HB Userjonnstar HB User
Re: Rx decision for 9 yr old

Generaly all of the stimulant meds are equaly effective, however, some kids do better on one than another.

So, pick one, and if it doesnt poduce the desired result, try another.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 03-20-2010, 12:16 PM   #3
(male)

lmx82 HB User

Our 8 year old son was diagnosed last year - was having attention problems, as well as hyperactivity and impulsivity. We tried Adderall XR, Metadate CD, Focalin XR, and they all helped but had side effects, mostly tics.
Now we are trying Intuniv, which he has done ok with thus far, but we just started.

Old 03-20-2010, 04:07 PM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)

marisuela HB Usermarisuela HB Usermarisuela HB Usermarisuela HB Usermarisuela HB Usermarisuela HB Usermarisuela HB Usermarisuela HB Usermarisuela HB User

Natural foods, regular exercise, and good sleep are all easy methods to ease the symptoms of ADD. They don't go away, but they do ease up a lot. I cut out all unnatural stuff out of our diets (my daughter is 6, and I suspect that like me, she has ADD..... she sounds like your daughter).

We cut out all the red, yellow and blue dyes, all the high fructose corn syrup, and all the ingredients that I can't pronounce and that aren't found in nature, and we try to avoid fatty and fried foods. We now eat lots of whole grains, fruits and veggies (especially green veggies), white meats (mostly chicken), and fish (mostly salmon).

I have found that my daughter does so much better when we follow that kind of diet. I'm not strict about it.... I'm very realistic about it. We eat at home 97% of the time now, but when we're out and need to eat out, we do. I do try to encourage healthier choices (fruit instead of fries in a kids meal, milk or juice instead of soda.... never sodas!), though. Even watch her vitamins and medication. I try to only buy dye free meds (though not all meds are dye free.... I'm still waiting for a dye free cold med!), and we get our vitamins at a natural foods store. It makes a difference!

As far as regular exercise, I just throw my kids in the backyard to play a few times a week (more when the weather is nicer). That's my definition of regular exercise. They go tearing around the yard full speed like crazy people and that's plenty of exercise..... they get plenty of good sunshine that way too, which is vitamin D, which I think helps, too.

I put my girls to bed between 7:00-7:30 every night. Again, I'm not strict about it. Sometimes things happen and we get to bed later. But during the school week, I try hard to not plan things that would keep my kids from going to bed on time. We do have ballet once a week that always throws us off a little, but they're still in bed between 7:45-8:00 at the latest.

Anyway, those are things that we do and it helps. I'm not anti medication. I myself take adderall twice a day (well, I did until I got pregnant), and I expect that my daughter probably will someday too..... maybe..... my husband has ADD, too, and he has never taken anything for it, graduated at the top of his class in high school and in college, and is now a pilot in the military..... so it's not an impossible dream to think it can be done unmedicated (although his methods of doing a hundred million things all at once and finishing them all at random times drives me crazy!!!).

Hope this helps a bit!

Closed Thread