It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

ADD / ADHD Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-22-2010, 10:06 PM   #1
(female)

tatted HB User
adult add and meds that help

ok so ive had add/adhad all my life im 25, as a kid we tryed riddlen, ya took me off that due to anything creative about my personality went out the windo. about 4 months ago my add got to the point of just screwing stuff up left and right not finishing things important things, and i decied, ok ur an audlt, u have other medical probs do something about the dammed add and make your life easyer, so i spoke to my doc and he put me on adderall 5mgs once a day. now a week ago he switched me to adderall xr 5mgs once a day. since takeing the adderall ive noticed a hugeeeeeeeeee diffrence, its amazing, buttt, my woundering is, is this something thats going to have to be upped dosage wise as time gose by like other meds (curently on bunch of pain killers) and if so im not so sure i wanna be mixing higher dosages of amphetamine (adderall) with already high dosages of pain killers. is there any add/adhad med. that will not require haveing to adjust the dosage as time gose by, if so pls tell me becuse id loev to know, and its not like i can ditch the pain killers, so that idea is out all tho, id give anything to make it possible.
aslo has any one noticed any side effects with the adderall, like i said only been on it now about 4-5 months. the only thing i really know about this stuff is, i can acutly do what i need to and not be so scatter brained and fragmented thought wise since takeing it and some special i seen a year ago on 60/60 about collage kids buying it and using it to cram for tests, so im kindof out of my element with this type of medicateion. thanks

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 04-23-2010, 01:24 AM   #2
(female)

tatted HB User
Re: adult add and meds that help

thanks for the feedback. has it helped at all, is this the first med u have been on for add/adhd,, have u had to up the dosage at all

Old 04-23-2010, 06:26 PM   #3
Senior Veteran
(male)

Thunor HB UserThunor HB UserThunor HB UserThunor HB UserThunor HB UserThunor HB UserThunor HB UserThunor HB UserThunor HB UserThunor HB User

Many find that they need to up the dose of stimulant meds as time goes by, many do not. Unfortunately, it's impossible to know how you will respond to any given medication until you try it.

There are non-stimulant options available for ADHD now, including Strattera and Wellbutrin. I personally had little success with Strattera, but many report positive experiences. Wellbutrin acts to block the re-uptake of dopamine and norepinephrine, and as such mimics the effect of the stimulants in time, without actually being a stimulant. Either of these, again, may or may not result in tolerance, which would require gradual increases in dosage.

Old 04-24-2010, 12:55 AM   #4
(female)

tatted HB User

ooo thanks for the info... ive taken wellbutrine fro other things and its one of those meds that just dont agree with me and there for cant take it, but the other u named i havent, ill have to ask my doc about that one. im all for benig on a non stimulent, thanks so much

Old 04-24-2010, 06:56 PM   #5
(female)

GreenFlower HB User

I, too, take Adderall XR, 40MGs, each morning. Dosage has not been revised upward for me for a long time. It is truly amazing the way Adderall XR allows me to focus. I have had ADHD all of my life. I knew within 15 minutes or less that it would work for me the very first time that I took it. When I was a kid what we know today as Adult ADHD was still just called procrastination (EXTREME Procrastination). For myself, I could not be happier that those days are gone!
Since Adderall XR works for you, hope you can work out a balance between the Adderall XR and your pain meds.

GreenFlower

Last edited by mod-anon; 04-24-2010 at 11:57 PM. Reason: removed quote

Closed Thread