It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

ADD / ADHD Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-25-2010, 12:29 PM   #1
(female)

srx17 HB User
too scared to say anything

Im 18 and find it hard to concentrate on something for a while. I fidget a lot and can't stop moving a lot. I get distracted from anything and find it hard to work. I don't think about doing things a lot and speak before I can think. I think I have ADD but don't want to say anything to anyone because they will think I'm being stupid.
What do you think?

Old 04-26-2010, 11:22 PM   #2
(male)

crazynut HB User
Re: too scared to say anything

Hi. I'm new here so I have no cred, but I can tell you that the worst thing you can do for yourself is to glitz over issues because of what people might think and say.

If you believe you have a problem, then there's a problem. You may have ADHD, or depression, or OCD, or a combination of disorders. There's no rational reason not to see a medical professional about your condition. Even if you don't have ADHD, the fact that you're here sharing with us means you have self doubts that can sabotage your life enjoyment and professional success.

You can't fix your troubles by yourself. I tried for years to deny that something was seriously wrong with me because my family installed in me the belief that psychiatrists are swindlers who only ruin lives and get people hooked on drugs. Ironically, following that philosophy is what led me to drinking possibly a thousand bottles of cough medicine, taking all kinds of ridiculous drugs with names that sound like part numbers (so many I can't remember what I've had), having unprotected sex with women whose names I didn't know, and going to college for 6 years, changing my major 5 times.

Now I take Ritalin for the ADHD I should have been diagnosed with a long time ago and I try to forget that I may not live long due to all of the moronic, abusive things I've done to my body.

Don't pay attention to the mockery of others. Seek help. You may think it's not important enough to dismiss others' ignorance.

Your life is your utmost concern; if you leave your livelihood up to others, they will seal your ruin.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 04-27-2010, 06:15 AM   #3
Senior Veteran
(male)

Thunor HB UserThunor HB UserThunor HB UserThunor HB UserThunor HB UserThunor HB UserThunor HB UserThunor HB UserThunor HB UserThunor HB User

I was diagnosed at 35, ADDProgrammer at 50ish (Bob, correct me here! ). I think either of us would have loved to have the opportunity to be diagnosed earlier in life, ridicule or no ridicule.

There are two reasons to act now: Quality of life, and the possibility that your issue isn't ADHD but one of the physical issues that cause similar symptoms and can be life threatening if left untreated. You owe it to yourself to take care of your health, please talk to your doctor and find out what's up.

Old 04-27-2010, 11:23 PM   #4
(male)

crazynut HB User

At 23 years, in my case. Plenty of time to execute a majorly destructive campaign on my sanity. I started self medicating with air conditioner refrigerant, paint fumes, and air duster when I was 12. At 13, the decade long cough medicine abuse began. Then I graduated to college party level alcohol abuse. The remainder of my teenaged years were spent abusing pharmaceutical downers, psychonauting on research chemicals, bed hopping, rapscallionating, and generally: Leveling my loony and mastering the art of douchebaggery. Then I tried cocaine when I was 22 and found that it made me a different person who had my appearance and my memories, but whose brain had a sanity filter. This new me also rested for reasons other than drug or alcohol induced somnolence. New me also realized he had been crazy for a very long time.

Me v2.0 put his skills developed partially writing partial papers (but mostly practice looking for online drug sources) and investigated why coke transported him to a zen state. On the way back from Tibet, me started looking for a psychiatrist despite that his family told him that if he visited with one, his second amendment right would disappear from the Constitution, his brain would be formatted and Stuart Smalley's personality would be installed, and me's head would no longer host WiFi, or something like that. Whatever reasoning my wise relatives could fish from their anal cavity: Those who built bonfires in bird baths, and hid their televisions when visitors showed because TV was evil (or so the set owners said behind the podium in church), and someone might find out about the various people who shared the popular duty of whipping me kindly repeatedly with a belt made for disciplining elephants into S&M, or sprinkling me with a bouquet of purple bruises. So long as the drug pushing shrinks they had visited didn't find out their outlets were raping minds and pummeling little kids, no questions needed to be asked about my behavior that could make anyone feel better juxtaposing their seemingly paltry personality flaws.

People who ridicule others for seeking advice from medical professionals have a small willy, except the girls; they had to buy a yard stick to measure for adultfriendfinder and a weed eater for their facial hair. They also smell bad.

Listen to us or I'll eat your brain.

Last edited by crazynut; 04-27-2010 at 11:30 PM.

Old 04-28-2010, 10:01 AM   #5
(female)

srx17 HB User

crazynut;

Thanks for reading, I really appreciate it.

The thing is I'm to scared to say anything to anyone because I think that they will think I'm crazy or something. When I daydream it makes me happy, and when I do it people can't even tell.

I daydream to almost anything, I still talk to the people around me and fantasize that I'm still in this world, but me as a different person.

Another weird thing is that when I listen to music I imagine myself playing it to everyone I know in a threatening way. I don't know why I do it I just like it, and I'm doing right now as I type.

I really don't know what to do, I'm just to scared to tell my mam and dad and friends about it.

Last edited by mod-anon; 04-28-2010 at 11:10 PM. Reason: removed quote

Old 04-28-2010, 12:24 PM   #6
Senior Veteran
(male)

Thunor HB UserThunor HB UserThunor HB UserThunor HB UserThunor HB UserThunor HB UserThunor HB UserThunor HB UserThunor HB UserThunor HB User

No need to talk to your friends or your parents until you've spoken to your doctor and received some feedback from them.

Excessive daydreaming can certainly be a symptom of ADHD.

Old 04-29-2010, 09:31 AM   #7
(male)

crazynut HB User

You might want to think about what the repercussions would be, other than being the target of criticism. Mockery is how many people downplay their own weaknesses. You can be certain that everyone living on this Earth has issues.

There's nothing wrong with daydreaming. Detectives daydream about being the perpetrator: (What was their motive? How did they do it? Where could they have left evidence?) Artists daydream about scenes before they become drawings or paintings or models; dialogue in plays; choreography in musicals. Good legislators daydream scenarios depicting what will happen if a law passes. We all use creative thinking to bring words on a page to life while reading, and to feel the emotion of music as we hear it.

You're not crazy to imagine yourself as someone else. It's a reflection of both a willingness to enrich one's personal qualities and a coping mechanism to deal with undesirable events. Don't divorce yourself from that. Without perspectives, it's easy to start looking ahead with tunnel vision.

You don't have to tell everyone. Your life isn't The News. If you don't have the money to see a psychiatrist, there are often ways to pay a reduced price or nothing. If you think you have ADHD, I'd encourage you to google these terms with your city or the closest, most populated town: Adult ADHD San Francisco like that.

You will want to look for a psychiatrist who is au curant; not all of them believe ADHD is a real condition, or they haven't read anything in the past decade indicating that the issue carries over from childhood to adulthood 50 or more percent of the time. This is especially a concern in sparsely populated areas where the quality of medical assistance is proportional to their limited on the job experience. I've lived for years in the boonies and in the big city and there is a huge difference between the venues in medical services.

Once you find one, say you don't have much money; ask if they have a "sliding scale". You may have to apply for a medical card with your State's Department of Human Services (DHS).

No one here can command you to do see someone, nor should they. The paradoxical caveat to improving lives through mental health services is that unless forced by a court to do so, people first have to accept that there's a problem. And admitting there's a problem can be the highest hurdle to leap over.

That's what you have to think about: Is your mental state interfering with your ability to lead a happy life? If the answer is yes, then you have nothing to lose by seeing a psychiatrist. Don't concern yourself with the opinions of your "friends"; you don't have to tell them, and if they ostracize you for trying to be the best person you can be, they're not really your friends--are they?

Closed Thread