It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

ADD / ADHD Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-01-2010, 11:29 PM   #1
Senior Veteran
(male)

Thunor HB UserThunor HB UserThunor HB UserThunor HB UserThunor HB UserThunor HB UserThunor HB UserThunor HB UserThunor HB UserThunor HB User
Where to turn when nothing works?

So, got myself a shrink early last year after a couple of years of looking (I guess I should specify, phychiatrist). I like the guy, he specializes in ADHD, so treats a lot of us. He's willing to try new things and think outside the box. He seems to respect the amount of research I've done on things and is always willing to discuss suggestions I have for treatment.

Problem is, the only thing that seems, these days, to provide any result at all is Adderall. Quick note, Adderall won't be generic in Canada until 2019, and we still pay an arm and a leg for it. That means if I were to lose coverage, say because I got my ADHD under control and went back to school again, I'd need a less expensive option. Psych doesn't like Methylphenidate because I didn't react at all to Concerta, I'm still convinced it's the formulation rather than the med that's the issue. I essentially shot down Vyvanse, because I figure if the Dexedrine wasn't getting the job done, I don't see it helping, especially considering the whole Concerta-like 'have to metabolize to access the med' thing, not to mention the expense issue again. In addition, when I say 'any result at all,' the effect I'm getting from Adderall isn't exactly earthshaking. Seems that whatever I try, I end up just settling back into the same old me within a few days.

We've tried several things: Dexedrine in the morning, Dexedrine twice a day, Adderall in the morning, Adderall with a Dexedrine booster in the afternoon, Dexedrine with Wellbutrin in hopes of keeping things going though the day. I think he's getting a little frustrated, lol, because the other day I walked out of his office with scrips for 40mg Adderall plus 450mg Wellbutrin (which is apparently half again the standard max for Wellbutrin at 300mg, though the dose isn't unheard of). Pharmacist warned me about seizures, I'm going to try it anyway.

Psych recommended a psychologist at the last appointment, I've seen her once now, but at $170 a session it's not going to be more than a couple of times a month. We're going to focus on procrastination for the time being.

I'm taking Fish Oil daily, 1-2 grams DHA, depending on if I actually eat fish to supplement the pills, I'm taking crazy vitamins, I'm drinking coffee and eating chocolate (in moderation for the stimulant effect and neurogenesis that's supposed to accompany them).

So, assuming the new Wellbutrin + Adderall dose doesn't take, where to? I'll probably push the Methylphenidate angle a little harder, but I'm not convinced it'll matter, I don't see Ritalin magically working where the amphetamines didn't. I've been toying with the idea of an ADHD coach for some time, but I'm not going to be able to take on that expense until I'm done with the psychologist. I'm honestly willing to give the 'natural' supplements a chance, but only if my own research convinces me they're not BS.

I'm looking for new angles here . . . anyone?

Last edited by Thunor; 05-01-2010 at 11:30 PM.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 05-02-2010, 07:36 AM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

Brocallie HB UserBrocallie HB UserBrocallie HB UserBrocallie HB UserBrocallie HB User
Re: Where to turn when nothing works?

Maybe run some neurotransmitter tests?

Old 05-02-2010, 07:06 PM   #3
Senior Veteran
(male)

Thunor HB UserThunor HB UserThunor HB UserThunor HB UserThunor HB UserThunor HB UserThunor HB UserThunor HB UserThunor HB UserThunor HB User

Interesting idea, assuming there's a valid test available; something I might consider discussing with my psychiatrist. From what I'm reading (this is the first I've heard of this particular idea), there are claims that urine based neurotransmitter readings may correlate with symptoms, but there seems to be little agreement. As neurotransmitters don't cross the blood-brain barrier, the amount of a neurotransmitter in your kidney may or may not be indicative of how much is available in the brain. Unless you're recommending a test of the CSF? I don't know if such a test would be available to me, and if so, if it's available at a price that I can afford.

Old 05-03-2010, 06:36 AM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)

Brocallie HB UserBrocallie HB UserBrocallie HB UserBrocallie HB UserBrocallie HB User

No, I don't think CSF would be warranted unless there was an extreme circumstance. There is a guy, Dr Charles Parker, who is BIG into the testing and treatment of neurotransmitter issues, and I believe he's having some success.

Good luck.

Old 05-03-2010, 06:41 AM   #5
(male)

semisaine HB User

Hey.Have you tried doing the meditating thing.It is something that has worked for me.It still takes alot fo focus and dedication but the results are wonderfull.include yoga and a healthy diet. Try be positive and focus on the moment.

Last edited by mod-anon; 05-03-2010 at 08:33 AM. Reason: removed quote

Old 05-03-2010, 07:38 AM   #6
Senior Veteran
(male)

addprogrammer HB Useraddprogrammer HB Useraddprogrammer HB Useraddprogrammer HB Useraddprogrammer HB Useraddprogrammer HB Useraddprogrammer HB Useraddprogrammer HB Useraddprogrammer HB Useraddprogrammer HB Useraddprogrammer HB User

Thunor,

Get a copy of "Mastering Your Adult ADHD - Client Workbook." I got it with the "Therapist Guide" for about $65.

Use your writing skills to report implementation and progress on each weekly lesson.

I'll bet-u 65 Canadian clams it works. Those big ones Walruses eat.

Bob

Closed Thread