It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

ADD / ADHD Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-06-2010, 09:38 AM   #1
(female)

coralkisses HB User
Need to see doctor about ADD... help

I've had ADD most of my life. I believe I was diagnosed when I was around 6 or 7. I am now 30. I haven't taken any meds since I was in jr. high or high school sometime. I don't like taking the meds but, my Mom and husband have told me before they think I need to get back on them. Maybe I'm just stubborn. Maybe I don't want to be a zombie. IDK.
Lately, though it seems like I have troble concentrating and staying on task. To be quite honest, my house looks like a tornado went through it. I'm a terrible housekeeper. It's not because I don't try. I do work on it but, I feel like I am moving in slow motion then, when I see a big job I feel helpless and overwhelmed. I really don't want this. I want to be able to stick with the tasks that need to be done. Plus, it's hard on my marriage.
I have been thinking about talking to my doctor about it but, I have to be honest, I feel really uncomfortable about it. I've always felt somewhat ashamed and embarrassed of my ADD. I feel comfortable talking to my husband about it because he's dealt with it because his brother has severe ADD or ADHD(not sure which one) along with some other problems. Besides, he is my husband so, I should feel comfortable.
The doctor I decided to start going to is the one my husband sees. I only went to him for the first time a couple days ago for a persistant cough(allergies) so, that's why I'm uncomfortable. I know this sounds weird but, I'm not sure how to go about making the appt. What do I say when I call to make the appt. when they ask why?
Also, I've been having problems with fatuigue, irritability, weight gain(shall I say over eating , trying to lose weight, though) and low sexual drive. Could this all be connected to my ADD? My husband thinks I'm dperessed but, I feel pretty happy. Also, I wonder if it could just be from low thyroid production(I need to get that checked, too since it does run in the family, I think) or anemia(I've "battled" iron deficency anemia off and on since high school).
I just want to get on track and I want to get on something that will keep be alert, keep me focused on tasks, keep me from daydreaming, something that will no mess with my sex drive, or make me grouchy. Also, something that it safe to take that won't do any reproductive damage(I have a 1 year old but, eventually in a few years I would like another).
Oh yea, are there any ADD meds that help you LOSE weight? lol

Last edited by coralkisses; 05-06-2010 at 09:40 AM.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 05-06-2010, 03:12 PM   #2
Senior Veteran
(male)

Thunor HB UserThunor HB UserThunor HB UserThunor HB UserThunor HB UserThunor HB UserThunor HB UserThunor HB UserThunor HB UserThunor HB User
Re: Need to see doctor about ADD... help

Most of the symptoms you've listed can result from ADHD, but it's not necessarily the culprit here. There are a number of physical, mental and emotional problems that can lead to the symptoms that you describe. Because you've been diagnosed ADHD in the past, that may well be a good place to start, but I would recommend going into things with an open mind, and try to find out what the real issue is.

It's certainly possible for ADHD to flare up during your life, even if you've had it mostly under control for a long time. Issues such as physical changes, stress, hormonal changes, even environmental changes can cause the ADHD monster to rear its head a little higher than before. On the other hand, your thyroid issues can most certainly cause the problems you describe. As a matter of fact, Inattentive ADHD is a listed misdiagnosis of hypothyroidism.

I would recommend seeing your doctor and being as honest as possible. Tell him of your history of ADHD, your suspicions of hypothyroidism and ask for a complete physical to check for physical issues that may cause the symptoms you've described. If everything checks out physically, you can explore emotional/mental issues such as ADHD, but treating a bad thyroid for ADHD is a good way to cause even worse physical issues.

If ADHD turns out to be your issue, set your mind at ease a little about the treatment. The zombie like state you may remember from your childhood should stay there, as stimulant meds affect adults in different ways than they do children. Proper treatment with stimulants can make a real difference for an adult with ADHD, and can often result in weight loss. They can, however, increase anxiety, which might lead to grouchiness.

Best of luck.

Closed Thread