It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

ADD / ADHD Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-17-2010, 07:36 AM   #1
(female)

basket1 HB User
Adderall & Wellbutrin together?

I have depression and ADD. I've been on adderall for a while, but I no longer take it every day. I've been on a few SSRI's with Adderall and none of them helped me. I was wondering if Wellbutrin works well WITH Adderall. I also take Xanax.

Is Wellbutrin a good combo with Adderall? Because no there antidepressant I've tried has worked for me.

Old 05-18-2010, 01:40 AM   #2
Senior Veteran
(male)

addprogrammer HB Useraddprogrammer HB Useraddprogrammer HB Useraddprogrammer HB Useraddprogrammer HB Useraddprogrammer HB Useraddprogrammer HB Useraddprogrammer HB Useraddprogrammer HB Useraddprogrammer HB Useraddprogrammer HB User
Re: Adderall & Wellbutrin together?

There is nothing to contraindicate Wellbutrin with Adderall.

I don't think there is much evidence that Wellbutrin helps Adderall control ADHD symptoms or that Adderall diminishes Wellbutrin's effect on depression. Either med appears to have little effect on the properties of the other.

On the other hand, I've read many reports about Wellbutrin helping when added to SSRI's when SSRI's alone failed to help with depressive symptoms.

Depression and ADHD are two different brain bugs. In many, if not most cases, fixing one does not fix the other. Each has to be treated on its own.

Talk to doctor about Adderall + SSRI + Wellbutrin. Adderall is proven effective for ADHD symptoms. The combination of Wellbutrin with an SSRI is effective against depression.

Talk to your doctor about it. Maybe the threesome will work for you.

Bob

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 05-18-2010, 06:15 PM   #3
Senior Veteran
(male)

Thunor HB UserThunor HB UserThunor HB UserThunor HB UserThunor HB UserThunor HB UserThunor HB UserThunor HB UserThunor HB UserThunor HB User

Wellbutrin, also known generically as Bupropion, is a dopamine and norepinephrine reuptake inhibitor, working on those neurotransmitters in a similar way that SSRIs work on Seratonin. Treatment with Wellbutrin should increase the levels of dopamine and norepinephrine available within the brain. Because these are the same neurotransmitters that are affected by Adderall, the two may have a cumulative effect.

I have recently done some research on the question of Adderall and Wellbutrin contraindication, as I am taking both in rather large doses (450mg Wellbutrin, 40mg Adderall daily). What I have uncovered is that they are generally safe to take together, though it is possible that Adderall may increase the possibility of seizures, a risk already posed by Wellbutrin alone. In addition, because the two may have a cumulative effect, any side effects you may experience on one of the medications may become more pronounced.

As to efficacy, Wellbutrin tends to be a second line treatment for both ADHD and depression, while stimulants in general (read Adderall) are often considered a second or third line treatment for depression. Depending on what, specifically, is lacking in your personal brain chemistry, you may well find that the two work well together to treat both your depression and your ADHD. After all, you may find that your depression was not impacted by SSRIs because you're not short on seratonin, but rather lacking in dopamine or some other neurotransmitter. Remember that as with all reuptake inhibitors, it may take up to a month to receive the full benefit on Wellbutrin, so be patient with it.

Consider too, Bob's advice above, I have received great benefit over the last two years listening to his sage advice. (No disrespect Bob, just wondering if you'd pick up on the reference. http://www.healthboards.com/boards/showpost.php?p=3483974&postcount=6)

Old 05-18-2010, 09:30 PM   #4
Senior Veteran
(male)

addprogrammer HB Useraddprogrammer HB Useraddprogrammer HB Useraddprogrammer HB Useraddprogrammer HB Useraddprogrammer HB Useraddprogrammer HB Useraddprogrammer HB Useraddprogrammer HB Useraddprogrammer HB Useraddprogrammer HB User

Thunor,

"I'm no sage, I'm an oregano." hehehehehehe I remember thinking it mildly funny back when I wrote it. How the heck do I come up with such stupidity. hehehehehe I'm laughing myself silly at myself. Was two days of testing really needed to prove I'm whacked in brain? The scores did confirm the obvious.

I got to get serious for a few seconds. I did the Wellbutrin/Adderall combo in an attempt to manage my depression without an SSRI. SSRI's SUCK. Yes, SSRI's are very effective at managing my depression but, but, hey we are all adults, "they" say marriage isn't all about sex. True. Sex is only 98% of marriage. SSRI's disable key components that bring the "process" to a dead stop. The "process" stays dead stopped as long as I'm on that SSRI poison.

SSRI's will within a week or two snap me out of a depressive episode. The source of the relief is unmistakable. I replaced an SSRI, Lexapro, with Wellbutrin while Lexapro had my depression under control. The depression did not return. Since then I've had a few rounds with depression, took a SSRI, got it under control, "process" went to dead stop, quite the damn SSRI, "process" rebooted, depressive symptoms remained at dead stop.

I can't say whether Wellbutrin helped with my depression or not. I can say
Wellbutrin had no effect, positive or negative, on Adderall's efficacy.

My family doctor (not shrink) told me, "Studies have shown that Wellbutrin does not enhance Adderall's ADHD symptom control effectiveness." She made that statement 5 or 6 years ago. This MD is not your typical GP ignoramous. Got herself twin boys both ADHD as can be. She takes ADHD very seriously.

My experience agrees with the conclusions reached by those ancient 5 year old studies. My case is weak at best. I often throw around simplistic solutions to an exceptionally complex bugs that live in a stupidfying complex bio-electrical, multi-layered, processor we call the brain.

You said it, I'll say it again. Scientist have identified the two neurotransmitters that play dominate roles in the concentration function. There are hundreds of identified neurotransmitters and God only knows how many remain unidentified. All the them live and work together in complex web of relationships producing the stuff we call thought and emotion.

You would be remiss not to add to my reply. Basket1 deserves no less. I am never offended by anyone posting more details and more information or corrections to my replies. Especially you. You do your homework and do it well.

I fully admit I'm dumber than dumb. I proud to be so dumb. The more I learn about brain functions and their bugs the dumber I get. Nor is there any hope the trend will change. The future holds only deeper depths of dumbness for me. The subject too damn complex for any other eventuality.

That's why I'm oregano but certainly no sage.

Over and out.

Old 05-19-2010, 12:38 AM   #5
Senior Veteran
(male)

Thunor HB UserThunor HB UserThunor HB UserThunor HB UserThunor HB UserThunor HB UserThunor HB UserThunor HB UserThunor HB UserThunor HB User

To be honest, I sincerely hope you're wrong on this one. I'm taking both, Wellbutrin and Adderall, in hopes of bringing my own insanity under control once and for all.

I originally suggested the combo to my psychiatrist in hopes that, rather than reinforcing one another, the longer acting nature of Wellbutrin (reuptake inhibitor not having the 4 hour half-life of amphetamine) would help me keep my impulsiveness under control in the evenings, when the opportunities to spend and eat coincide with the unfortunate cessation of Adderall's effects.

300mg Wellbutrin + 20mg Adderall did nothing for me. 450mg Wellbutrin + 30mg Adderall has, strangely, been helping somewhat over the last couple of weeks, but I've been having some troubling side effects, dizziness and more pronounced tremors (I've always had some tremors on amphetamine) being the most serious. As of this morning, 450mg Wellbutrin + 40mg Adderall taken half at 7am, half at noon seems to have mitigated the side effects and my self control is nothing short of steely. That said, it's 1:21am and I'm wide awake after 3 hours' sleep, have to be up at 4. Not good. Whether it's the medication or just a one time thing remains to be seen.

I do worry about long term effects though. I'm putting a lot of medicine into my body at the moment, and I wonder about neural fatigue, or other effects of this sort of supplementation over the long term. All I can say is that I'll have to play it by ear. At the moment though, my bank account and beltline are rather pleased with my sudden progress. Only time will tell if it's long term or a temporary aberration, I'm desperately hoping for the former.

That's not to say that I'm banking on just the meds. I'm continuing on my regime with my psychologist, and still considering an ADHD coach, depending on my success with the psych. My hope now is that as I develop some of the skills I obviously lack, I'll have less need of the meds. We'll see. I'm planning on purchasing the book you suggested in my other thread, though I'm still wading through some of the books already on the shelf, so it may be a month of two.

Wish me luck here. With some of the physical issues that have presented over the past year, getting things under control has become a rather immediate necessity, I no longer have the luxury of time. I've always valued this community as a place to learn, and it has yet to disappoint me.

Just a quick addition. My own depression has always been very much a function of my ADHD. I tend only to get depressed when I screw up something important *yet again* as a result of my own personal insanity, and my episodes never last more than a few days. Thus, I've never found depression to be a standalone issue for me. As such, I can't comment on the ability for Wellbutrin to control depression, except from an academic standpoint, I hope I haven't come across otherwise.

Last edited by Thunor; 05-19-2010 at 12:47 AM. Reason: addition

Old 05-20-2010, 07:50 AM   #6
Senior Veteran
(male)

Thu,

I'll give you my history, you pull out what you feel could be useful to you.

I went around and around ... the medication merry-go-round (should be "misery-go-round"). I exited the loop at the same location as my entry. I entered with Adderall and exited with Adderall.

My ADHD at loop entry was out of control and my life was in shambles. At loop exit, my ADHD is well controlled and my life is too. The state of our lives perfectly mirrors the state of our mental health.

I got little time so I must go straight to the point denying myself the endless pleasure I get from endless tangents.

6 years ago Adderall brought my capacity for attention to well within specified values. 6 years later, Adderall continues to keep my attention within specs. Something has changed. The DAMAGE done by decades of ADHD rampage.

Adderall fixed my attention. CBT fixed the damage.

Bob

Closed Thread