It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

ADD / ADHD Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-30-2010, 07:17 PM   #1
(female)

jess2858 HB User
Unhappy New dosing making me SO tired, HELP!

I am a 39yr old woman, who has had ADD for some time. I was on 30mgs XR in the a.m. and 30mgs IR in the afternoon, until just a few months ago.
I lost my job in March and had to go on my husbands insurance. My ADD meds alone ran $140 a month. So my doctor switched me to 30mgs IR 2x's a day. (I have always taken the generic) That worked ok, except the "let down" in between doses was horrible.
At this months appointment ( 5 days ago) my Dr. changed me to 20mgs 3x's a day, spaced approx. 4 hours apart, to avoid the "let down" until the evening. Since I have started this, I am horribly tired and sleepy, and sometimes nauseous. I don't understand as it is the same milligrams per day as always, the same manufacturer (Barr), and I watch to make sure that I take every 4 hours or more, never any earlier. Any suggestions as to why this is happening? Of course the doctor is closed tomorrow, so I can't call. I know that I can't feel like this every day, and I also know that I can't go without the medication.
Any advice, and/or tips would be appreciated. Any recommendations on different ADD meds would be appreciated also!

Old 05-31-2010, 08:20 AM   #2
Senior Veteran
(male)

addprogrammer HB Useraddprogrammer HB Useraddprogrammer HB Useraddprogrammer HB Useraddprogrammer HB Useraddprogrammer HB Useraddprogrammer HB Useraddprogrammer HB Useraddprogrammer HB Useraddprogrammer HB Useraddprogrammer HB User
Re: New doseing making me SO tired, HELP!

Jess,

The path to the solution you need is found at ...

http://www.healthboards.com/boards/showthread.php?t=750542&page=2

Last post on the page 2 of Madymom's thread

Great stuff by Jayday.

Bob

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 05-31-2010, 11:30 AM   #3
(female)

jess2858 HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by addprogrammer View Post
Jess,

The path to the solution you need is found at ...

http://www.healthboards.com/boards/showthread.php?t=750542&page=2

Last post on the page 2 of Madymom's thread

Great stuff by Jayday.

Bob
Thank you for the advice, but I am no longeron the XR version, I amon IR and have been for the last 2 months.

Old 05-31-2010, 06:15 PM   #4
Senior Veteran
(male)

addprogrammer HB Useraddprogrammer HB Useraddprogrammer HB Useraddprogrammer HB Useraddprogrammer HB Useraddprogrammer HB Useraddprogrammer HB Useraddprogrammer HB Useraddprogrammer HB Useraddprogrammer HB Useraddprogrammer HB User

Jess,

The binders (so-called inactive ingredients) modify how we react to a given medication. Barr uses a binder in their IR Adderall that has caused problems for many.

The principle of Jaydee's post is: Tell your doctor what is happening, then ask about another generic brand. That may or may not solve the problem.

If not, keep iterating with your doctor until you get relief. Another possible solution is Dexedrine. Dexedrine has very few side-effects. Because it is one of the most abused medication it can be difficult to impossible to get. And some find it less effective for ADHD symptom control. If you can get it, and it controls your symptoms, you have yourself a dirt-cheap solution. It has been generic for 60 years.

Bob

Old 06-01-2010, 08:27 AM   #5
(female)

jess2858 HB User

Thanks so much. After replying to you, I spent a couple of hours reading the old posts on here about the difference between the generics, and I am indeed taking one made by Barr. Next script and appointment, I will try to get one made by another company. Wish me luck!

Old 06-02-2010, 08:28 AM   #6
Senior Veteran
(male)

Jess,

Please let us know how it turns out.

I can't (easily) get any generic other than Barr. Barr designed their version to be snort and injection unfriendly. It is less abuse prone.

If I may speculate, compared to Shire's original formula, Barr's formula initially releases more levo-amphetamine than dextro-amphetamine and that results in the nasty side-effects.

The following schedule can help reduce the side-effects:

First AM dose: 1/2 pill (10mg)
1.5 hours later: the second half (10 mg)
4 hours later: 1 (20mg) tablet
4 hours later: 1 (20mg) tablet

Similar changes in schedules have helped some including myself.

Bob

Old 06-02-2010, 09:36 AM   #7
(female)

jess2858 HB User

I will try that thanks, I really appreciate the advise. I have "messed" the time and 1/2 or whole pills but have yet to find the right combo

Old 08-03-2010, 12:03 PM   #8
Senior Veteran
(female)

marisuela HB Usermarisuela HB Usermarisuela HB Usermarisuela HB Usermarisuela HB Usermarisuela HB Usermarisuela HB Usermarisuela HB Usermarisuela HB User

Hey Bob,
I just ran across this post and am curious as to which "nasty side effects" you might be referring to with the Barr brand adderall. I'm convinced the stuff is EVIL and is turning my mother into a nutcase! Also, do you know of a generic brand that is similar to the old Shire brand???

She's become very paranoid, anxious all the time, WAY uptight, over emotional, extremely tired most of the day, and just can't handle much of anything. I always chalked it up to my Dad passing away a few years ago, but it wasn't too long after that, she started taking the Barr brand adderall, too.

Yes, I'm sure losing my Dad has had an effect on her, but maybe she could handle it better if her meds were better??? I love my Mom and I hate to see her so miserable and messed up! PLUS, after I am finished being pregnant and nursing my baby, I plan on getting back on adderall, and it sure would be helpful if I didn't have to go through what she's going through (we react the same to a lot of meds).

Old 08-03-2010, 07:12 PM   #9
Senior Veteran
(male)

marisuela,

If I take any more than 10mg I experience, about 1.5 hours later, an intense "crash" that includes anxiety and a feeling of extreme tiredness. <=10mg + 10mg 1.5 hours or more later and I'm ok and I have the efficacy I need.

Barr's binders might not be the cause. I experienced a similar reaction to Adderall XR. I believe the XR was before Shire sold their patent (original Shire XR formula) but have no way now to know for sure.

The numerous anecdotal reports I've read scream "Barr is EVIL." My experience is inconclusive for the above stated reason.

While there are other generic Adderall manufacturers, I have access to Barr only here in NEPA (North Eastern PA). The northern tier of PA is sparsely populated west of Scranton. I thought PA had the dubious distinction of most meth labs of any state until ST22 claimed that distinction for Missouri. Whatever the case, PA is trying desparately to control a very serious problem by clamping tightly down on amphetamine prescriptions. Granted, it's a noble effort. Law makers seem to have missed that the numerous labs don't require their customers to have a prescription.

We lose (those of us that legitimately need stimulate meds). Meth labs win. Meth abusers lose too. There is no shortage of the poison that's killing them.

That is that.

Bob

Old 08-04-2010, 06:51 AM   #10
Senior Veteran
(female)

marisuela HB Usermarisuela HB Usermarisuela HB Usermarisuela HB Usermarisuela HB Usermarisuela HB Usermarisuela HB Usermarisuela HB Usermarisuela HB User
Re: New dosing making me SO tired, HELP!

Thanks, Bob, that actually explains a lot.... it's somewhat depressing to read ( ), but it does help!

Closed Thread