It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

ADD / ADHD Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-10-2010, 01:43 PM   #1
(male)

ckc27 HB User
Anyone else experiencing bad breath with Adderall?

I've been taking the Adderall XR (20 mg) for a couple months now, and I also took the non-XR (20 mg) during the month prior to the XR - both were the generic salt type.

From the very first day and still today, I get one heck of a bad taste in my mouth, along with being able to smell my own breath...not a good smell, unfortunately! It doesn't seem like I have dry mouth at all, and I seem to keep well hydrated with mostly water. I never got that taste prior to taking Adderall. The more stimulated I feel at a given moment from the Adderall, the more the taste and smell are present. It doesn't help any when I brush my teeth, floss and use mouthmash.

Has anyone experienced this? Is it temporary? Any opinions on what specifically is causing the Adderall to bring this condition on? Thanks, Chris

Old 06-10-2010, 08:19 PM   #2
Senior Veteran
(male)

Thunor HB UserThunor HB UserThunor HB UserThunor HB UserThunor HB UserThunor HB UserThunor HB UserThunor HB UserThunor HB UserThunor HB User
Re: Anyone else experiencing bad breath with Adderall?

Unfortunately, unpleasant taste is a listed side effect of Adderall, and isn't all that uncommon. I don't know the exact mechanism that leads to this taste, but it is listed as a gastrointestinal side effect, so that might be a place to start from in exploring the cause. Many times, side effects are temporary, so give it a little time and see how things go.

If this problem persists, I would recommend consulting your doctor or pharmacist to see if there's a way to control this issue, or if a dosing or medication change is in order.

Best of luck.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 06-10-2010, 10:37 PM   #3
Senior Veteran
(female)

janewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB User

If it's a sour taste, and it's a GI thing, it could be some acid reflux. There are a lot of medications that can cause it even if it isn't normally a problem for you.

Old 06-16-2010, 08:24 AM   #4
(male)

ckc27 HB User

Thanks Thunor and Jane!

After much searching, another possibility is that "dry mouth" can cause bacterial growth in the mouth which can cause bad breath. A whitish tongue is a good indication of excess bacterial growth. The most common suggestions given were to simply drink more water, chew sugarless gum which stimulates saliva glands, and breathe through the nose, instead of the mouth.

I'm not sure if "dry mouth" is the problem for me since I smell the odor even when breathing through my nose, but wanted to share what I found with anyone interested in the subject. Even though I'm not experiencing any sour taste or acid reflux symptoms whatsoever, it still may be a gastrointestinal issue of some sort, as suggested.

Old 06-16-2010, 10:32 AM   #5
(female)

ST22 HB User

I do know that dry mouth can cause very bad breath. I have this problem with adderall as well and my advice is drink lots of water and use mints or hard candy (sugar free) to keep the saliva going. Also my boyfriend has bad breath from drinking soda loaded with sugar lol and I make him use a mouthwash called peroxyl. It has oxygenating qualities in it that really cleans your mouth. Hope some of this helped

Closed Thread