It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

ADD / ADHD Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-16-2000, 12:29 PM   #1

Jodi HB User
Question New to adult add

The phsycologist that my husband is going to thinks my husband may have add. If his DR decides to medicate him is there usually an immediate change in behavior or is it gradual? Does the medication ever make things worse?

Old 11-18-2000, 02:21 AM   #2

PureCoal HB User
I was recently diagnosed and have been taking Ritalin SR for about 2 weeks now. If all goes well your husband should see an immediate response to the medication. However, I've heard that it often takes a lot of trial and error to get the medication and does that works best for each individual. It's often a balance of effectivity and tolerating some of the side effects. Currently Ritalin isn't working so well. I felt a difference the first few days... then, my problems crept back. May just be a dosage increase is needed.. but I'm new to this too so I'm not sure.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 11-18-2000, 08:56 AM   #3

Jodi HB User
What are some of the side affects that you had? Does the medication make you feel calmer and mare tolerant? I dont know if I'm convienced that my husband has add. He seems to have all the symptoms that I've read except he is very organized, almost to the point of being a clean freak.

Old 12-29-2000, 08:30 PM   #4

ronell HB User
Talking

I have ADD and started on adderall last year. Last spring I went back to college at age 30. My grades are the best I've ever had and my concentration is much improved. I'm taking. I feel they really help with school. GOOD LUCK!!

Old 01-02-2005, 06:33 AM   #5
(male)

jovialy HB User
Re: New to adult add

I have ADD and severe bipolar depression. I am now on Adderall XR 30 Mg three times per day.It has really helped but I am concerned about the quantity I am taking. Is ther anyone that is taking that much or I would be interested in any other comments about this dosage.Jovially.

Old 01-02-2005, 01:22 PM   #6
(male)

JT95 HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jodi
What are some of the side affects that you had? Does the medication make you feel calmer and mare tolerant? I dont know if I'm convienced that my husband has add. He seems to have all the symptoms that I've read except he is very organized, almost to the point of being a clean freak.

From what I have read, I'd advise your husband to stay away from Strattera, at least as being one of the first medications to try. Men on this board as well as elsewhere have complained of some not-so-fun sexual side effects from Strattera. I just got my first prescription, but I'll have to wait a couple of days before I get it filled and start taking it. I'll be sure and post how it affects me on Day 1 and onward. I'm starting out with Concerta. My doc said I could choose not to take it on weekends, during vacation, etc., which I like the idea of. I'm hoping this medicine works for me for that reason.

Last edited by JT95; 01-02-2005 at 01:23 PM.

Old 01-03-2005, 05:38 PM   #7
Senior Veteran
(female)

seriousperson HB Userseriousperson HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jodi
Jodi, I'm both OCD (Obsessive Compulsive), which it sounds like your husband may also be, and I was also recently diagnosed with ADD (which answered so many questions about behavior I was unable to change despite valiant efforts). Lower doses of medication were better for me than higher doses, because increasing the Strattera for more focus was channeled into my long-ingrained (I'm a post-menapausal woman) obsessional habits. Also, increasing the Zoloft for my OCD (and Depression and Anxiety) was instead utilized by my mature, stuck-in-its-ways brain as a signal to flit from project to project. For example, while on the higher doses, I was ready to go to the post office at 2:30, but got so distracted with "necessary" things to do, that at 5pm when the PO closed, I was still at home, inspite of trying for the previous 2 hours to get myself to just go. So I'm back to lower doses now, and may be switched to Aderall (I think?) instead of Strattera.

As far as general side effects, the sexual effects did not pertain to my life style, but I am almost constantly "jiggling" my foot when I am seated (something I only did occasionally before), and my hands were shaking so badly, that I could barely type at work. So I'm taking Mirapex for those effects--but with minimal positive results. Also, I've had a noticeable decrease in appetite.

Old 01-03-2005, 06:21 PM   #8
Veteran
(female)

comeonnow HB User

I wish I'd have had as good a result from Adderall as others here have talked about. I've taken it for over a year now and keep telling the doctor that it doesn't do anything for me. He has also tried me on Ritalin and Dexadrine; nothing there either. I think I'm one of the 20% of people who aren't helped with ADD medications.

Closed Thread