It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

ADD / ADHD Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-02-2010, 12:15 AM   #1
(female)

shechey HB User
Doc pulled my Ritalin/ for Beta blocker help

Hi,
I am new here, and really need some advice. I have been taking Ritalin 60mg per day for over 14 years. This past March, I had a urethra blockage that would not allow me to urinate . This caused the Doctors to prescribe Cipro. I was taking the muscle relaxer zanflex and no one told me not to take them together. A few weeks later I noticed that my heart rate was really high. When resting in the 160's. I found out that too take the two medications together the MR and the Cipro can cause prolonged tachacardia. When I went to my Doctor he pulled me off the Ritalin and said it was causing these problems. And then put me on the Beta Blocker loperessor. I am really a mess without the ritalin. My question for everyone is does anyone take a Beta blocker with Ritalin? I am inlcined to find a new Doctor however don't want to waste my time if they will tell me the same thing. I am inclined to believe that since there was a warning on the Zanaflex, and Cipro not to be taken together that they might have started this whole mess. The Doctor is like you need to be on the Beta Blocker and drugs like Ritalin cause High blood pressure and fast heart Rate. Now remember I was on Ritalin for 14 years. I am 38 years old now. I feel like my life has fallen apart. My heart rate reached up to 200 at the ER room. All I want to know is if I can ever go back on my Ritalin? They won't even look for the reason why my heart rate is fast. They are just blaming it on Ritalin. And to me that just does not make sense as the problem started out of the blue.... Any ideas at all would really be appriciated!!!!! I need my life back. And Ritalin made me normal, at least in the way that I functioned. Now I am just a mess..........Thanks!

p.s. I did not know that you could not take the MR with Cipro.

SheChey

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 08-02-2010, 05:52 AM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

janewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB User
Re: Doc pulled my Ritalin/ for Beta blocker help

Cipro is a brutally toxic drug. The only good thing about it is that it harms bacteria more than people, and anyone with an infection serious enough to require Cipro has my sympathies.

Now, in answer to your question, yes, I took a beta blocker and Adderall for a while. I can't have either drug now, long story, but for a while the combination worked well for me. I'd take the beta blocker first first thing in the morning and the stimulant 30 minutes later.

However, for the immediate future, I do not recommend you take any stimulants, even caffeine. Get the tachycardia under control FIRST. If you've been off stimulants for a few weeks and still having these problems, or if the beta blocker isn't working, then start pushing heavily for more tests.

If the beta blocker works great, see a psychiatrist with a lot of experience prescribing stimulants and talk to him about reintroducing the Ritalin.

Old 08-02-2010, 05:36 PM   #3
(female)

shechey HB User

Thank You for your reply. And yes I intend to try and find out what is causing the heart rate to be so fast. That is if they will let me. Yes the Beta Blocker has the heart rate down to 77 or some where there abouts. But the Doctor that I am working with quite simply says the Ritalin caused it all, end of story in his book. After having been on a drug such as Ritalin for so long, I knew how my body worked with it. And things really just snow balled after I took the Cipro, for the urethra infection. The whole thing has caused my life to turn upside down, and I do truly appreciate all of your thoughts.

SheChey

Old 08-02-2010, 05:45 PM   #4
(female)

caring12 HB Usercaring12 HB User

ritalin is a methamphetimine type drug. it can do that and other adhh meds were pulle due to heart damage. cipro is bad. all you can do is ask for alternative. 200 wow. i have a tachy pvc heart and antying over 100 makes me feel sick. ask to explore all options. your heart is very important.

The Following User Says Thank You to caring12 For This Useful Post:
SanyBelle (05-04-2011)
Old 08-02-2010, 09:29 PM   #5
(female)

shechey HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by caring12 View Post
ritalin is a methamphetimine type drug. it can do that and other adhh meds were pulle due to heart damage. cipro is bad. all you can do is ask for alternative. 200 wow. i have a tachy pvc heart and antying over 100 makes me feel sick. ask to explore all options. your heart is very important.
Yes When my pulse was around 170, I was watching a movie with my children, and lost vision in my left eye and started sweating profusly down my face. Now don't quote me on this, but I think I recall always having a faster normal pulse rate of say resting 96 but no one ever said anything about it. This thing with the heart rate seemed to escalate very quickly. I am as I said before in a mess without the Ritalin. The dose of the Beta Blocker they have me on has me literally sleeping almost 20 hours per day. When I mentioned that fact to the Doctor he said I would get used to it.
And it was not having the Ritalin in my body that was also making me so tired. The thing I could not figure out is that Ritalin always, slowed me down, calmed my thoughts never sped me up. If I may ask was there anything specific that caused your tackycardia? Forgive me if it's intrusive, I however am very ignorant of the cardio system. Never really needed to study it before. What really ticks me off is that they just put me on this drug and offered no explanation. That I think scares me to death. But then again that could just be my brain without my Ritalin. It's like I have been thrust into this world where I suddenly can't function And my kids don't understand Why, and my Hubby is trying. Thank you! for all your help

SheChey

Old 08-03-2010, 08:05 AM   #6
(female)

No reason no meds. It had done off and on and drs would miss. I tried anti anxiety meds and ativan and one dr realized it may be a murmur but that was that. the i bought a cheap stethsope heard my heart skip a beat. they finally heard that. i had demand they leave on an ekg. they miss a lot of stuff. i got sick in the fall had bad kidney news. do not drink smoke nada. then i was on holter test htey caught it. and the pvcs and pacs. then i had a heart attack. painless one your heart gong that fast can kill you.

find a new dr and ask for alternatives for the adhd. i am sorry. does not sound like fun. but maybe your heart is the cause of half of your other problems and it just went undx?

Old 08-08-2010, 03:29 AM   #7
(female)

shechey HB User

Can you tell me how the Holter thing works? I called back and spoke with a nurse at my Doctors office and she mentioned that they may consider putting me in one, but that it would be for a month long? Wasn't sure If I understood her correctly. Any information you have about that test would be really helpful! Does it record the information on a digital file or something? Just curious as a month is a lot of hours of information Thanks again for your advice!
SheChey

Old 08-08-2010, 07:17 AM   #8
(female)

Quote:
Originally Posted by shechey View Post
Yes When my pulse was around 170, I was watching a movie with my children, and lost vision in my left eye and started sweating profusly down my face. Now don't quote me on this, but I think I recall always having a faster normal pulse rate of say resting 96 but no one ever said anything about it. This thing with the heart rate seemed to escalate very quickly. I am as I said before in a mess without the Ritalin. The dose of the Beta Blocker they have me on has me literally sleeping almost 20 hours per day. When I mentioned that fact to the Doctor he said I would get used to it.
And it was not having the Ritalin in my body that was also making me so tired. The thing I could not figure out is that Ritalin always, slowed me down, calmed my thoughts never sped me up. If I may ask was there anything specific that caused your tackycardia? Forgive me if it's intrusive, I however am very ignorant of the cardio system. Never really needed to study it before. What really ticks me off is that they just put me on this drug and offered no explanation. That I think scares me to death. But then again that could just be my brain without my Ritalin. It's like I have been thrust into this world where I suddenly can't function And my kids don't understand Why, and my Hubby is trying. Thank you! for all your help

SheChey

Hi. i will tell you somethigyour dr will not. you do not need to take the beta blockers daily. i have done that with two hearts meds and one raised my glucose to deadly levels. so i stopped and then dr later said good idea. take them when you need them. so unless your heart is racing 24 7 i would not take them 24 7. they are supposed to make you feel better not worse.

Closed Thread