It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

ADD / ADHD Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-07-2010, 10:59 AM   #1
(female)

ST22 HB User
Adderall 20 and 30mg

Hello again everyone! I have a question about my IR Adderall. I am prescribed 70 mg daily (barr) one of the prescriptions comes in 20 mgs and the other in 30 mgs. For some reason they affect me in different ways even if I break it up and take the same amount. I've been having pretty good luck on 20 mg per dose. I pretty much never take my whole daily dose though. But every 4 hours sometimes less sometimes more I take 20 or 10 mg depending on what I need.

So anyway, like I was just saying...I like the 20 mg and hate the 30mg! I have no idea why this would be since it's the same brand and supposed to be the same med just different mg. When I take the 30 mg (I break it into about 20mg) it makes me feel shaky and nervous. Just wondering if anyone else has experienced this, thanks!

Old 08-08-2010, 05:57 PM   #2
Senior Veteran
(male)

addprogrammer HB Useraddprogrammer HB Useraddprogrammer HB Useraddprogrammer HB Useraddprogrammer HB Useraddprogrammer HB Useraddprogrammer HB Useraddprogrammer HB Useraddprogrammer HB Useraddprogrammer HB Useraddprogrammer HB User
Re: Adderall 20 and 30mg

ST22,

Calibrate the scale you are using to measure your Adderall dose.

What scale you say? Yep, that's the problem. Dose tolerances must be +- 5%, maybe less.

<edited>

Bob

Last edited by mod-anon; 08-08-2010 at 07:44 PM. Reason: Please do not prescribe dosages

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 08-09-2010, 11:30 AM   #3
(female)

ST22 HB User

The 30 mg can be broken up into 4 different pieces. Like there are 4 little grooves to break it. Like I said, I normally take 20 mg or 10 mg doses of the 20 mg pill. So when I take 10 mg of that one I break it in half. When I get my prescription its in 2 separate bottles....one bottle has the 20 mgs and the other bottle has the 30 mgs. When I break the 30 mg up I break it in half and then take half of the other half. It would equal up to a little more than 20 mgs but only by a couple mgs more.

Old 08-09-2010, 06:46 PM   #4
Senior Veteran
(male)

addprogrammer HB Useraddprogrammer HB Useraddprogrammer HB Useraddprogrammer HB Useraddprogrammer HB Useraddprogrammer HB Useraddprogrammer HB Useraddprogrammer HB Useraddprogrammer HB Useraddprogrammer HB Useraddprogrammer HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by ST22 View Post
When I break the 30 mg up I break it in half and then take half of the other half. It would equal up to a little more than 20 mgs but only by a couple mgs more.
ST22,

I tried pill splitting to save money. My best splits of a single scored 20mg Adderall tablet yielded "roughly" equal pieces. Perhaps one piece had 9mg and the other 11mg. I had trouble. I was and remain astonished over how sensitive our brains are to this type medication. Most of my splits were not "good." A bad split day resulted in one dose ~6mg and the other ~14 mg. The difference was obvious. The crack didn't follow the score. All splits resulted in some powder loss visible on the splitting surface.

Errors multiply when splitting a double scored pill. The small error from the second split is added to the small error from the first split. The four pieces from a 30mg tablet should be 7.5 mg each. I can see the four pieces ranging between 6 to 9 mg each on a good split.

Talk to your doctor about the problem with a caveat. Many doctors don't think the small differences make any difference. My shrink knew straight up my splits were the pits. He rewrote my script. Problem solved.

Bob

Old 08-09-2010, 07:23 PM   #5
(female)

ST22 HB User

Thanks for your reply! That really is the only explanation for this problem. I just can't see it being a different medication or have different ingredients in it. I guess I really am that sensitive. While typing this, I did just remember for the first few weeks I was only using the 20 mg pills because I didn't have the money to buy the other bottle (30 mg pills). My body must have gotten used to the doses with the 20 mgs and then even a small difference in the 30 mg kinda messed it up. Thank you

Closed Thread