It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

ADD / ADHD Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-04-2001, 01:42 PM   #1

forsure HB User
Question link between ADHD and thyroid??

My son is ADHD, my grandfather was hyperthyroid and had the symptoms of ADHD (they just didn't call it anything back then), I have graves disease (which is being hyperthyroid) and my brother has another thyroid disorder. I have read a couple of articles linking ADHD and thyroid, and was wondering if anyone else has a similar history in their family. I have mentioned this to my son's Pediatrician, but he just poo poos me.

Old 04-23-2001, 09:41 AM   #2

Angie E HB User
I'm new to the ADD board, but I am a regular on the IBS board. By going to the IBS board, I discovered I have Celiac disease which is a gluten intolerance. I can't eat wheat, rye, barley or oats. I also had Graves disease and there is a direct link between Graves and Celiac. Now I have disovered my son has ADD. I've read some indications of their being a link between ADD, Austism, Downs syndrome and Celiac Disease. Now, I'm beginning to wonder if it goes full circle. Celiac to Graves to ADD. If I had discovered Celiac before the Graves, the Graves wouldn't have happened. I'm trying an experiment with my son and I"m going to be feeding him more protein and less carbohydrates and trying to eliminate wheat and see what happens. This is just a theory of mine. There are several Celiac websites that link ADD with Celiac and Celiac with Graves. Too concidental?
Angie E

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 04-24-2001, 05:21 PM   #3

emmeline HB User
I am hypothyroid and have ADD as well. I have read many books on the subjects but have not yet come across any information that ties the two conditions together.

~emmeline~

Old 04-25-2001, 06:43 AM   #4

Angie E HB User
Emmiline:
Do a search on Celiac Disease, or start with [url="http://www.Celiac.com...You'll"]www.Celiac.com...You'll[/url] be amazed!

As far as I know, there is no relation to HYPOthyroidism. It's HYPERthyroidism...Hoshimotos Disease, and Graves

Old 04-06-2005, 11:51 AM   #5
(male)

krayz0 HB User
Re: link between ADHD and thyroid??

I was diagnosed with ADD when I was in middle school, then it was discovered that I had Graves Disease. I was told at the time that the symptoms can mimic each other. I have since had my thyroid gland ablated, and today I take synthroid and cytomel to compensate. I noticed that my difficulty with concentration didn't go away even years later once my thyroid levels were well controlled. I am now taking concerta as treatment for my difficulties with focus. I don't know if that helps any but thats my story....

Old 04-08-2005, 09:53 AM   #6
(female)

Raes*Mom HB User
Re: link between ADHD and thyroid??

My daughter's ADHD doctor had thyroid tests run and guess what, she tested positive for thyroid antibodies. We are currently seeing an endocrinologist who doesn't feel her thyroid issue is significant enough to begin treatment at age 11 but he uncovered a glucose problem. She is not diabetic but her glucose levels are very high and she has been put on medication. His physician's assistant said there could be some link between the ADHD and this problem. I have quite a few friends whose children's ADHD is similiar to my daughter's and they crave sugar constantly when not on meds. My daughter is about 5'4" and weighs 157 - 160lbs. She is not as active as other children but is not sedentary either. We eat a fairly healthy diet and I homeschool her so I can closely monitor her diet. It's amazing how rapidly she can gain weight. There's certainly more going on with her than just ADHD and I believe it's glandular related. Hopefully, with our endocrinologist we're beginning to unravel some of the mystery. I have posted on the thryoid board regarding my daughter's condition and was told by one of the posters that in years past, due to lack of medical knowledge, individuals who actually had thyroid disease were misdiagnosed as have mental disorders. Very interesting.

Closed Thread